Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Bo Im from Columbus,ohio.... Ive been ghosting here for a few days trying to figure out what brand of mountain bike to get.. I like the Specialized Hard Rocks an a few others.. Ive looked at Treks an Cannandales...
I currently have a Hyper Jolt..Its cheap but it works for now... I mostly ride as a commuter, back an forth to work an such an gravel bike trails an some paved trails.. Im trying to go with a used higher end bike for less than the cost of a new one..Id like to spend what little money I have wisely...any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mate
Hundreds of threads of exactley this topic in the Beginners Corners forum.
Go have a look and read up there
Why dont you help him out instead of attempting to be a a$$. Just cause there are numerous threads on a topic does not mean that this person looses the right to post on their own situation with their personal needs.

And to the OP I would suggest the Diamondback Overdrive 29er around 500 bux and great bike (least in my opinion it is its a great first mountain bike for me in about 20 year haha)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about older bikes that I can pick up cheaper on ebay? I'm a mechanic by trade so figuering ut a bicycle shouldnr be much of a task for me..lol... So even if I have to replace a fork or stripped crank that's no big deal.. Also is the older specialized bike with nitanium frames anything special or make them anymore desirable? I like the bikes you all have referred me to, I'm still in reserch mode so I'm trying to figure out the most bang for my buck..lol

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Couple suggestions for used....

Try to find a recent model unless it's a smoking deal on a higher-end bike. Unless you really know what to look for on an older model, you could end having to replace normal wear items, like cables, chain, cassette, etc. or worse.

Use craigslist instead of ebay unless you know the size of a model is a good fit. Bike sizing vary widely from brand to brand and even model to model of the same brand. Check surrounding CL areas, too. A good deal will be worth a 30-45 min drive.

I have no idea about your size, but saw this new one. It would be worth looking at if you're 5.9 - 6.1. It's an internet bike, and judging how the brake levers are oriented, the owner probably didn't do a good job of the finish assembly. Probably needs tuning up. Forge is located in Penn.
http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/2445110649.html
http://www.forgebikes.com/mountain-bike-sawback-5xx.php

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ive been doing nothing but looking at bikes in my spare time.. Im 5'10 an weigh in at 130lbs..lol i have a 32 inch inseam so ive been looking at bikes with atleast a 19" frame size..

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Some 17 and 18 bikes would also likely be a good fit. It just depends on the frame geometry. I'm half an inch shorter and have two bikes. One is a 17 and the other is a 19 forge. They both have the same cockpit length - effective top tube (ETT).

You should take a look at that CL forge if it's still available. I've had one for 4 years and rode the punk out of it until I built a fs bike last winter. They probably bought it and had trouble getting everything adjusted or decided biking wasn't for them - it happens. It costs close to 500 delivered and it's a good value at that price. Search the "bike and frame" section. One longest running threads on mtbr is about Forge - all the reading and info you could want.

Then again, an even better bike may come along. If you find something nice and reasonably priced, act fast or someone will beat you to it.

-------------------------------------
Edit:

Look. Someone tagged this thread "cranial rectitus". One of the bike store owners must be mad you're considering a used bike. Or... Perhaps they or one of the brand homers are mad because I suggested an internet bike.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I guess any lower end norco mtb would be a good choice, though those can run you up more then 1k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a Specialized Hardrock Sport several years ago and loved it. Just picked up a Specialized Hardrock base today... and when I test dorve it it felt very similar.... hoping I will be happy with it as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,139 Posts
no specific models from me, but be sure to get something with sturdy double-wall rims! single-walls will not hold up very long for trail riding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a 2010 Trek 6000 at the end of the year sale so was $700. Could probably get a used one for a couple hundred less. Bike is an awesome bike for a serious beginner. Decent front fork (Dart II) and components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is off the subject matter, but this is my first post so i cannot start a new thread.....who knows when the 2011 bikes go on sale or when do the new 2012 bikes come out, better yet when is the best time of year to look for a good deal on last years bike...cheers

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I know this is off the subject matter, but this is my first post so i cannot start a new thread.....who knows when the 2011 bikes go on sale or when do the new 2012 bikes come out, better yet when is the best time of year to look for a good deal on last years bike...cheers
There's a big 4th of July sales every year here in Socal at one of the bicycle chain.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,807 Posts
Why dont you help him out instead of attempting to be a a$$. Just cause there are numerous threads on a topic does not mean that this person looses the right to post on their own situation with their personal needs.
The suggestion to visit the beginner forum was a perfectly good one. The OP may have never seen it...it's not like it's easy to miss a forum as a newbie around here or anything. :rolleyes:

The most important thing about a bike is that it fits. If it doesn't fit you could well wind up hating it and never riding it (you will find some brand new bikes for sale because they didn't fit). You don't want to be that guy.

Sometimes a used bike can be a good choice...sometimes not. That can be a hard one to judge unless you have a good eye for the things that can wear out or break on a bike.

I will suggest to the OP to at least consider some frames smaller than 19" ones, and some larger. I own two bikes with 18" frames and I have a 32" inseam. They both fit me well. The MOST important measurement is the top tube length, and that affects how far you have to reach for the handlebars. Saddle height is the most adjustable part of the bike, so it should be one of the last considerations.

Most bikes in the OP's price range are really similar in quality, really. Looking at used bikes at least opens up the possibility of finding that rare high end bike being sold because some guy's ex wife is spiting him or something. Find what fits and go from there. Some shops carry a selection of used bikes that have been traded in. Might be worth a look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts