Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Shimano XT M760 dual control levers for my Shimano XT disc brakes... I'm looking to go lighter lever setup, and still keep shimano centerlock disc brake system to match my 2008 XTR wheelset on my Scott Scale.

I don't hate the dual action shifting and braking, i don't mind it, but I wouldn't miss it either.

Does anyone know the proper weights for my current setup, and compare it to the 2008 XT and XTR dual control, and the separate shifter Pods and brake levers?

whats the lightest way to go?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
From the Shimano website the XTR DC are 442gms and the separate triggers are 215gms, the XTR disc levers are 192gms, so the DC are about 40gms heavier.

The XT DC are 526gms and the separate trigers are 255gms and the separate brake levers are a feathery 128gms, so that puts the DC setup at almost 130gms heavier.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow! so dollar per dollar, I'm almost better off to go all XT, triggers, and brake lever...

thank you very much!

but wait, how accurate do you think these posted weights are?

My 2008 XTR wheelset came in much less than the advertised 1520grams. i was shocked almost, and happy at the same time considering i paid next to nothing for them.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Usually Shimano is pretty accurate in their published weights, that whole corporate integrity thing. I'd go XTR triggers and XT brake levers. The multi up and down shift feature is worth the extra $$$$ for XTR.

I have XTR wheels, how much less did yours weigh than 1520gms?

·
for three!
208 Posts
Hate to hijack, but sexyblack or rockyuphill, do you possibly have any pictures of your xtr wheels on your bike? I'm 90 % going to purchase them, but just want to see a couple other bikes with them. Thanks guys

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rockyuphill said:
Usually Shimano is pretty accurate in their published weights, that whole corporate integrity thing. I'd go XTR triggers and XT brake levers. The multi up and down shift feature is worth the extra $$$$ for XTR.

I have XTR wheels, how much less did yours weigh than 1520gms?
Yes, makes sense... the multi up and down is for skipping multiple gears at once a lot faster than normal XT pods?

I can't remember exactly, i wrote it down somewhere, I believe it was 1445g (or 1425) or less without skewers. Shoot, i'm sorry i can't remember exactly. It was on my friends high end gram scale, he uses all the time for accurate weighing.

It would make sense 1520 is with skewers though...

yes Karl, i have some pics I can post up

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
might even be worth me buying the XTR 970 disc brake package instead of just levers? what do you think? Chainreaction cycles has good deals now!

According to the weight weenies listings, XTR BL- M970's weigh in at 167 for the pair... and XT are 128 for the pair.

why is XT 40grams less?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The BL-M970 are the XTR V-brake levers, the XTR BL-M975 disc levers are listed at 194gms at CRC, 2gms higher than on the Shimano site. I have two sets of XTR discs, and they have been great. I haven't had any issues like some others have, but at least XTR has a longer warranty if they do develop problems.

The XT's are the newer Servo Wave design, so they likely found some places to save weight. There's been speculation that a Servo Wave version of XTR would be coming eventually.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow, this is great info man! thank you

do you know how much lighter weight the 2007 XTR disc brake calipers are compared to the 2006 XT calipers (Br-M765) front and rear?

I'm just trying to figure out if its worth upgrading my calipers to XTR from the XT's i have.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Shimano's website lists the 975 PM XTR disc calipers at 221gms/F&R pair, and the new 775 XT PM calipers at 223gm/F&R pair. The XT might be the better bargain at the caliper end too.

Weight Weenies lists the XT BR-M765 rear caliper at 149gms for one caliper with the adapter but w/o pads, and the XTR 965 calipers at 105gms with pads and bolts. Of course the XTR PM mounts will need an adapter for the rear at least.

·
for three!
208 Posts
Sexyblackbmw said:
Yes, makes sense... the multi up and down is for skipping multiple gears at once a lot faster than normal XT pods?

I can't remember exactly, i wrote it down somewhere, I believe it was 1445g (or 1425) or less without skewers. Shoot, i'm sorry i can't remember exactly. It was on my friends high end gram scale, he uses all the time for accurate weighing.

It would make sense 1520 is with skewers though...

yes Karl, i have some pics I can post up

(drooling smiley) I think that just sold me.

·
Registered
951 Posts
On this question does anyone have any idea how much the thumb part of dual controls weigh? Most people I know take them off since they are fairly redundant in the design. Some dremel off the metal bit as well. If I end up getting a newer set I know I will as on my previous set I slammed my knee into the thumb level, then into the metal bit once the lever was removed and it was uncomfortable :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just have to put this in... Spinergy Xyclone Disc wheels FTMFW!!!!

Wheels are usually almost disposeable where I live (Maine mountains), but I am on my first set of Xyclones for the second year, just put together a custom set of Hope Mono-Mini Pro brakes with all red accs. and use X-0 triggers on an X-0 rear/XTR front mech setup, and the bike weighs 19 lbs. I can't complain. The wheels are not the lightest, but at $500 for the pair, having a silent freewheel and 5/3 bearings f/r is nice... plus the spokes can tear a root up without breaking. I am done completely with metal spokes. I weigh 190lb. and have tweaked many a machine built wheel. Just a thought...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.