Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, doing a bit of research here on entry fees for endurances races, more specifically 100 milers. If you know of events please post and the registration cost,also please post if transfers are allowed.

thanks
Lynx

·
Registered
767 Posts
For the 100s, entry fees are usually in the 125 to 175 range depending on when you register. "early birds" get lower prices. Most of the NUE series allow transfers up to a certain date for a fee. SOME 24 Hour races can be prices if you're doing Solo and can range from 80 to 330!! And many of those do not allow transfers. Then of course there is a growing number of underground "fee less" races. So I guess you could say they range from $0 to $330. I think with a little bit of research you'll find the right one for you. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just doing a little research after finiding out that 2010 Leadville will cost you $275 US and if you register online an additional $15 :eek: I mean the buckle is nice and all, but what about those that don't finish within the time limit and the meet and greet and night before dinner is nice, but what about those that don't /can't do that. I've tried my hand at both the Laramie Enduro and Leadville and for the money I was much happier with the Laramie race - $75 as a late/day before entry. I will say that Leadville is about the week or more leading up to the race and the people you meet, but should you have to pay for that? :skep:

jasondean said:
For the 100s, entry fees are usually in the 125 to 175 range depending on when you register. "early birds" get lower prices. Most of the NUE series allow transfers up to a certain date for a fee. SOME 24 Hour races can be prices if you're doing Solo and can range from 80 to 330!! And many of those do not allow transfers. Then of course there is a growing number of underground "fee less" races. So I guess you could say they range from $0 to $330. I think with a little bit of research you'll find the right one for you. Good luck and have fun.

·
Old Joe
46 Posts
LyNx said:
So, doing a bit of research here on entry fees for endurances races, more specifically 100 milers. If you know of events please post and the registration cost,also please post if transfers are allowed.

thanks
Lynx
Are you "fishing" us here....doing a google search for 100 mile mtb races would answer your question....it's obvious you were on the Leadville site, early....IMHO, weekend warriors can finish the Laramie race, not so Leadville....can you say you truely took Leadville seriously....?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In all honesty I think I did take Leadville seriously, VERY! After Laramie I was reserved to go there and be a volunteer, but then after being able to get on the bike and ride the day after Laramie I thought, well maybe I can with some more time at altitude. Problem I think is, I was a 1st timer, did Laramie 2 weeks before and then kept riding like madd enjoyng my expensive holiday up until the Wed before the race - might have over done it.

I pulled myself out @ mile 87 on the way to St.Kevins having severe trouble catching my breath/breathing and was too out of it to think of just tagging onto a group and going slowly up the 3 miles of pavement. Problem was Columbine mentally fugged me with all that walking at the top and when I got going and hit the aid station, got some good nutrition I started to feel really good and hauled ass back to Pline and then attacked Pline too hard after running out of my nutritional stuff and having to try what was at the aid station - it didn't work.

Actually I had a bunch of links from '07 whe I did all my research and all were coming up debunk, so wasn't sure what races were on or not these days and TBH didn't feel like trapsing all over the WW trying to find working sites.

Old Joe said:
Are you "fishing" us here....doing a google search for 100 mile mtb races would answer your question....it's obvious you were on the Leadville site, early....IMHO, weekend warriors can finish the Laramie race, not so Leadville....can you say you truely took Leadville seriously....?

·
Team Awesome
993 Posts
LyNx said:
In all honesty I think I did take Leadville seriously, VERY! After Laramie I was reserved to go there and be a volunteer, but then after being able to get on the bike and ride the day after Laramie I thought, well maybe I can with some more time at altitude. Problem I think is, I was a 1st timer, did Laramie 2 weeks before and then kept riding like madd enjoyng my expensive holiday up until the Wed before the race - might have over done it.

I pulled myself out @ mile 87 on the way to St.Kevins having severe trouble catching my breath/breathing and was too out of it to think of just tagging onto a group and going slowly up the 3 miles of pavement. Problem was Columbine mentally fugged me with all that walking at the top and when I got going and hit the aid station, got some good nutrition I started to feel really good and hauled ass back to Pline and then attacked Pline too hard after running out of my nutritional stuff and having to try what was at the aid station - it didn't work.

Actually I had a bunch of links from '07 whe I did all my research and all were coming up debunk, so wasn't sure what races were on or not these days and TBH didn't feel like trapsing all over the WW trying to find working sites.
mtntouring.com
usmtb100.com

·
Registered
252 Posts
LyNx said:

thanks
Lynx
I know everyone gets wrapped around the axles about entrance fees, and as has been stated previously, they range from zero to around $US 350.

But, I suspect that if you have a serious tilt at a 100 miler or a 24 hour, the entrance fee is likely to be the cheapest thing you do all weekend.

I guess we attack it because we can ;) and we know that attacking air fares, hotel costs, food and bike parts is unlikely to have any real result.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So because you get fvcked by the airlines, hotels and bike companies makes it right to also get it from the race organisers? Anyway as stated there are loads of races under $200 and a lot even under $100, so what makes a race that more expensive when you get the same level of support at either race.

le Matelot said:
I know everyone gets wrapped around the axles about entrance fees, and as has been stated previously, they range from zero to around $US 350.

But, I suspect that if you have a serious tilt at a 100 miler or a 24 hour, the entrance fee is likely to be the cheapest thing you do all weekend.

I guess we attack it because we can ;) and we know that attacking air fares, hotel costs, food and bike parts is unlikely to have any real result.

·
Registered
453 Posts
le Matelot said:

A couple of weeks ago I spent some time trying to find a cheap flight to Australia for your course next Oct - ouch, it's hurting my head. Now that the kids are full fare I think they (and my wife) will have to cheer for me at home. Entry fees are just a small part of that little adventure.

Do you have a pet kangaroo who wants to work my pit? ;-)

·
Registered
252 Posts
rob said:
Nah - have to disagree. The 2009 Tour de Timor (5 days) was free entry, free accommodation, free food, free air travel to/from Darwin, no excess baggage for the bikes, and then to top it off there was $US 75,000 in prizemoney (yep - the cash kind).

I have spoken with many riders who didn't enter because they thought it was too good to be true :thumbsup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
le Matelot said:
Nah - have to disagree. The 2009 Tour de Timor (5 days) was free entry, free accommodation, free food, free air travel to/from Darwin, no excess baggage for the bikes, and then to top it off there was $US 75,000 in prizemoney (yep - the cash kind).

I have spoken with many riders who didn't enter because they thought it was too good to be true :thumbsup:
Where the heck is this thing? What is the catch? Nothing is free.

·
Registered
252 Posts
le Matelot said:

desnaephoto said:
Where the heck is this thing?
East Timor (Timor-Leste) - North of Australia, East of Singapore, South of the Philippines - you can't miss it :) Started and finished in Dili, the national capital.

desnaephoto said:
What is the catch? Nothing is free.
Well, this one was - although you still had to get to Darwin, and other riders flew in from Singapore, Bali etc.

I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it was this "free" next year as 2009 was the inaugural event and it got rave reviews, but the level of support provided was phenomenal. Basically, the race was the idea of the President of East TImor, and when a national leader wants a race to happen - a race tends to happen.

There are some happy snaps from me in these albums, which also include maps and course profiles.

Pre Race
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5 and Presentations

There are 4 videos on the Tour de Timor home page.

I was mostly a "start and finish" person so didn't get much of the action out on course. Zoe Morley has some good action photos.

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
LyNx said:
I was just doing a little research after finiding out that 2010 Leadville will cost you $275 US and if you register online an additional $15 :eek: I mean the buckle is nice and all, but what about those that don't finish within the time limit and the meet and greet and night before dinner is nice, but what about those that don't /can't do that. I've tried my hand at both the Laramie Enduro and Leadville and for the money I was much happier with the Laramie race - $75 as a late/day before entry. I will say that Leadville is about the week or more leading up to the race and the people you meet, but should you have to pay for that? :skep:
According to basic market pricing...if people are willing to pay it, then its worth it. So, yeah, it must be worth the $275 to enough people for them to be able to charge it and still have to turn folks away. Anyone who disagrees with the fee, doesn't have to pay/race it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.