Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to tubeless, and had my first puncture yesterday. I had been routinely carrying a pump and spare tube, but while I had both 26" and 29" bikes, carrying the right tube got a little error prone. Yesterday, I had nothing but was lucky to flat half a mile from civilization. Warning taken ..

So ... what is in your tubeless repair kit?

In particular, do you carry:

1) spare tube
2) tubeless plugs (if so, which brand)
3) pump
4) co2 and inflator nozzle
5) tire boots
6) spare valve stem
7) valve stem remover
8) tire levers
9) extra sealant (and injector for valve stem?)

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,429 Posts
One tube, one mini pump (it can pump up unlimited tires), automotive tire plugs cut into 2 widths (You can jam them in with multi tool), Expired drivers license for tire boot & ID if I am unconscious, extra presta valve (it weighs nothing). If I am on Sierra Nevada all day ride, I or someone else carries a patch kit, and 2nd tube. My multi tool can take out valve cores. We are all really blessed to be using modern rubber. Very reliable tires in 2019, just Fantastic!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I ride light and learned to fit the essentials in a small hip pack. In the five years since going tubeless I’ve had one unrepairable pinch flat that stans didn’t seal immediately and permanently. Most short rides I ditch the tube as I’d rather walk out for 20-30 mins than deal with levers on stubborn tire beads, sealant, and burn a tube just to get back to the car.
On longer backcountry rides I take the tube +
Levers, patch kit, mini pump, and plug kit (genuine innovations) $7 on eBay.
Keep the valve cores and tool in the car.

What are tire boots?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Tube (includes spare valve), lever, stick-on patches, mini-pump, and $20 bill for a tire boot. I don't go cheap where safety is involved.

Been thinking on a plug kit. I'll probably keep thinking on it until I wish I had one.

I know it's not stylish, but I run valve caps on the mtb to prevent bent/broken poppets from sticks and twigs getting in the spokes. The benefit of this kinda depends on where you ride.

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
29" tube- very bulky and heavy. I refuse to Shell out big bucks for a "lite tube" so I might try a 27.5 tube next time I need to buy one. That day might never come.

Genuine Innovations tire plug tool + bacon strips. These are taped to my old Bontrager tire lever because the plug tool fits so nicely in that groove. Plus I might need to reuse the tape for something.

Red Carmine Magenta Material property Plastic

A few inches of black duct tape packed flat.

GI inflator and 20g cartridge.

Radial patch. This is designed for car tires and will serve as a boot if the tire is really slashed.

Brown Tints and shades Cosmetics Grey Collection

All the above fits in a Bontrager neoprene sack.

Stationery Writing implement Violet Pen Silver

Lezyne pump, either attached to my seat tube with a TwoFish bloc or attached in my backpack on hot, long rides. I would love to find ways to make this more compact!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it all boils down to the consequences of failure. From the Internet it sounds like plugs work almost all the time. If its a mere inconvenience to walk out then leave the tube, levers, and pump home. Unscheduled night out in the wild, then bring the tube stuff.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,370 Posts
1) spare tube yep. 2 if doing a really big ride.
2) tubeless plugs (if so, which brand) Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Racer - Tubeless Bicycle Tire Repair Kit
3) pump yep
4) co2 and inflator nozzle nope. that's what the pump is for. if I need to unseat the bead, I'm installing a tube, especially on my fatbike. co2 won't seat the bead on that bike at all.
5) tire boots yep. Park Tool ones. should also have something to boot a tire if you're running tubes. this is not a tubeless-only problem. it's more terrain-related when there are sharp rocks present.
6) spare valve stem you mean valve CORE? yes. 2 spares. should probably have them if you're using tubes, too
7) valve stem remover yes. e13 valves, there's a core remover built into one of the valve caps
8) tire levers yes. a few different ones, though not really by design. they just happen to be integrated into lots of things
9) extra sealant (and injector for valve stem?) yes. little bottle of stans (and a pocket knife). squirt from bottle straight into valve with core removed. haven't needed it for my own bike, but have used it for a riding buddy.
Aside from the spare tube and the pump, the items in this kit are pretty tiny and light. the little bottle of stans is the next largest in the kit, but all except for the pump can fit in a seat bag if you want to be packless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.