Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not one of those guys that is real in tune with the numbers game associated with frames. I build a bike and ride it. I either like it or I don't. I know there is a real science behind the numbers, but it is a mystery to me. That being said, I put together a chart of real numbers from real bikes. One of them I own and like, the others are frames I am considering building. What can the experts tell me from the numbers? They are all the same size (appropriate for me). They are all 29er's. I am withholding frame material and weight. If this is stupid, please move on quietly, if not, informed opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most manufacturers do not specify an Axle-to-crown measurement for the specs.

Even if they say, "Designed around an 80mm fork." Who knows how they actually came up with the specs?

·
Professional Crastinator
6,550 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I Would not comment based upon the lack of pertinent front fork geometry numbers.
Right.

I ran numbers on my bikes once... the above data will only tell you how it feels to sit on it, not actually ride it. You need steering geo... which is difficult, if not impossible to precisely predict. You might catch a break if you can find the same bike that you want with various forks installed. Searching the forum might get you that, but you will have to be diligent.

-F

PS - bike 4 is probably prone to "toe-verlap"... or really weird steering.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fleas said:
Right.

I ran numbers on my bikes once... the above data will only tell you how it feels to sit on it, not actually ride it. You need steering geo... which is difficult, if not impossible to precisely predict. You might catch a break if you can find the same bike that you want with various forks installed. Searching the forum might get you that, but you will have to be diligent.

-F

PS - bike 4 is probably prone to "toe-verlap"... or really weird steering.
I don't know the whole axle to crown thing. Is that the same as rake? I have ridden bikes with different numbers that felt similar and bikes with similar numbers that rode differently. I guess until you can throw your own leg over and ride, you really don't know. Unfortunately, none of those bikes are available to demo any where near me.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
I made the attached pdf when I was comparing my Redline to either the Niner or Fisher I was looking to buy last summer.

When I came to ride them the Fisher felt tiny and I had to go up to a 19" to feel like it fitted but the Niner felt right, straight off the bat.

As others have said, the numbers aren't everything but the ride is.

My choice was made for me when GF pulled all the Superfly SS frames...:D

Attachments

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
My guess is Bike #3 is a Vassago.

Even if it isn't, the longish chain stays on that bike will make it more difficult to lift the front wheel off the ground. Not an issue if your the type of rider that steamrolls everthing anyway. While I like the look of the Vassago frames, I was turned off by the longer wheel base and long chain stays. I don't have all that much upper body strength or mass to throw around. I don't need the bikes geometry working against me.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frozenspokes said:
My guess is Bike #3 is a Vassago.

Even if it isn't, the longish chain stays on that bike will make it more difficult to lift the front wheel off the ground. Not an issue if your the type of rider that steamrolls everthing anyway. While I like the look of the Vassago frames, I was turned off by the longer wheel base and long chain stays. I don't have all that much upper body strength or mass to throw around. I don't need the bikes geometry working against me.
Another winner! It is indeed a Vassago Jabber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.