Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else noticed that the Fomba trails are getting beat to sh*t and there seems to be a group of people who cant ride the knarly stuff, so they keep making their own go arounds, remove obsticles and add rocks and ramps where none are needed?
I mean , if you ride up lady slipper and see the small log , you might think its blow down and move it, but Ive put it back 6 times now, that log has been there for years, leave it alone, if you cant ride something walk over it, dont widen the trail or sanitize it. If you want smooth trails ride the fire roads or the rails to trails.:madmax:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Ah yes.....the masses have found your trails. Sucks. But unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. They will keep rinding around all the cool stuff, making the trail wider. How do you build a trail that is easy and hard w/o having to make go-arounds? Tough one. Last Run is Stowe is a great trail for that.
 

·
fried stuff with cheese
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Although it wouldn't happen it would be nice to have some kind of trail rating at the beginning of each trail. Maybe even a description of what a rider may encounter on the trail. I know this was done on the Free Lunch trail in Grand Junction CO. The difference here being they are worried about people getting hurt vs. trail sanitizing. The thing that sucks is I don't think people are trying to ruin the trail for others. I'm guessing that they think they are helping.

You can't please all riding styles with one trail. Having a mix of flow, fast, and tech on the same trail is really cool for mixing it up but in doing so I think the chances of people messing with stuff, making new ride arounds, etc.. is much more likely.

I'm more concerned with the road they created and flagged going through Fireline. Looks like they drove a skidder in there. Wonder what comes next......other than the sound of chain saws and more light?
 

·
Got A Lust for Life...
Joined
·
2,969 Posts
This happens. Peeps will ride around stuff and cut corners. Yes they are lazy, but if you let them ruin you too, there won't be anything left at all. I've been there on trails I cut myself. It is a battle not worth fighting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,075 Posts
At a local trail system here in VT, someone a few years ago walked the loop and spray-painted (fluorescent orange) every root, rock, stump, etc along the trail. Why?!? It was absolutely ridiculous! Some people don't think.:madman:

toby
 

·
the train keeps rollin
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
DanO, stake out in the woods, then beat them with your hand pump. I wish there was a simple answer to this problem. Maybe work with Fomba to post a large sign when entering Fomba, or lead some beginner intermediate group rides, installing some values in the newbs.
 

·
Black Lion
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
Trail Sanitizing and cheat lines make me crazy.
I have all but given up fixing trails at some of my local spots in MA. It has gotten so bad that all I was doing during the course of a ride was moving cheat rocks and the like out of the way.

I did bump into these two guys moving very large stones from a rock wall to make an easier passage through the wall instead of the up and over that had been the line for ever. The answer they gave me when I confronted them was amazing.


Greg
 

·
the train keeps rollin
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
yogreg said:
I did bump into these two guys moving very large stones from a rock wall to make an easier passage through the wall instead of the up and over that had been the line for ever. The answer they gave me when I confronted them was amazing.

Greg
The "1st try" wall?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
DaveVt said:
Ah yes.....the masses have found your trails. Sucks. But unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. They will keep rinding around all the cool stuff, making the trail wider. How do you build a trail that is easy and hard w/o having to make go-arounds? Tough one. Last Run is Stowe is a great trail for that.
FOMBA is 5 miles from Manchester NH... 130,000 people. About 110,000 of them have known about FOMBA for at least 10 years. It isn't exactly a secret.

Picture the Stowe Town Loops, re located to Williston, and Burlington's population base quadrupling. That's FOMBA.

Best solution is BUILD MORE TRAIL, spread everyone out. The trails are seeing way too many users, many of the trails are (were, I haven't ridden there in 5 years) very tight and twisty... fun, but it leads to less skilled riders looking for short-cuts and easier lines.

There is room along the snowmobile corridor between FOMBA and Bear Brook for some singletrack, there is room around Tower Hill, there is room around Little Massabessic... there's room for more trail.
 

·
Live Free Or Die!
Joined
·
94 Posts
Whitebike said:
FOMBA is 5 miles from Manchester NH... 130,000 people. About 110,000 of them have known about FOMBA for at least 10 years. It isn't exactly a secret.

Picture the Stowe Town Loops, re located to Williston, and Burlington's population base quadrupling. That's FOMBA.

Best solution is BUILD MORE TRAIL, spread everyone out. The trails are seeing way too many users, many of the trails are (were, I haven't ridden there in 5 years) very tight and twisty... fun, but it leads to less skilled riders looking for short-cuts and easier lines.

There is room along the snowmobile corridor between FOMBA and Bear Brook for some singletrack, there is room around Tower Hill, there is room around Little Massabessic... there's room for more trail.
I agree with all of the above points. They are in the process of expanding the rail trails in Manchester. Which is better suited for most of these folks that are sanitizing/destroying the mountain bike trails.

If anyone is interested, I have a copy of the 21-page .pdf file for the Case Study that was recently put together by the City of Manchester to apply for a new federal grant system that is supposed to replace the Transportation Enhancements grants system, since it has become so backlogged. PM me your e-mail address and I will send it.
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Im hoping its ignorance, but when something gets moved over and over you have to wonder.
I wouldnt mind seeing some trail use posters at all entrances and maybe as things get put back a small note saying hands off
maybe put them up for a couple of weeks and see?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
yogreg said:
Trail Sanitizing and cheat lines make me crazy.
I have all but given up fixing trails at some of my local spots in MA. It has gotten so bad that all I was doing during the course of a ride was moving cheat rocks and the like out of the way.

I did bump into these two guys moving very large stones from a rock wall to make an easier passage through the wall instead of the up and over that had been the line for ever. The answer they gave me when I confronted them was amazing.

Greg
Well what was their answer lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Whitebike said:
FOMBA is 5 miles from Manchester NH... 130,000 people. About 110,000 of them have known about FOMBA for at least 10 years. It isn't exactly a secret.

Picture the Stowe Town Loops, re located to Williston, and Burlington's population base quadrupling. That's FOMBA.

Best solution is BUILD MORE TRAIL, spread everyone out. The trails are seeing way too many users, many of the trails are (were, I haven't ridden there in 5 years) very tight and twisty... fun, but it leads to less skilled riders looking for short-cuts and easier lines.

There is room along the snowmobile corridor between FOMBA and Bear Brook for some singletrack, there is room around Tower Hill, there is room around Little Massabessic... there's room for more trail.
OK, so the masses found the trail a while ago, and now the unskilled masses have found it. In areas easily accessable to the unfit and unskilled public, you have to build trail for the least skilled, or else that trail will slowly appear right on top of the old line, or just to the side. Build a single trail that works for both users. You have to be creative, but it can be done. No sense fight them, they are a force of nature like the river, they flow to the path of least resistance....if you want the trail to stay tight, you have to build their trail, then figure out how to make it fun for you. Or build at an area thathas a big climb to get to the trail...then their laziness is working for you and most of them won't bother.
 

·
Black Lion
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
strangeland2 said:
Well what was their answer lol
Their answer was they were well within their rights to add to the flow of the trail by altering it.
They also added that they were from a (non local) chapter of Nemba and did this kind of thing all the time.

I said BS and moved the rocks back right in front of them!
 

·
beer thief
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
yogreg said:
Their answer was they were well within their rights to add to the flow of the trail by altering it.
They also added that they were from a (non local) chapter of Nemba and did this kind of thing all the time.

I said BS and moved the rocks back right in front of them!
Post up their names and chapter; anyone active with NEMBA should know better than to sanitize trails. Public humiliation is the answer.
 

·
Black Lion
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
radair said:
Post up their names and chapter; anyone active with NEMBA should know better than to sanitize trails. Public humiliation is the answer.
I don't have their names and frankly don't want to give any chapter a bad wrap because of the actions of a couple of tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Are you talking about a wall at HP? If so, I think the local chapter might like to talk with the non-local chapter, in a general way. It's one thing to add a cheater rock to make the up and over easier, another thing to dismantle the wall to flat ground.

DS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
no matter what level of a rider you are there is always someone better and the only way to learn how to get over obstacles is try,try ,try agian and when you finally clear it,it is the best feeling knowing you have conquered that obstical. even putting a samll rock to make it easier is not something i would like to see. what i would like to see is that person trying to clear it and do it. flow is great, but if you can't flow thru the trail because of an obstical someone else may be able to. Evolution of a trail by mother nature is inevitable lets leave trail sanitizing to her.:thumbsup:
 

·
Black Lion
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
fattie said:
no matter what level of a rider you are there is always someone better and the only way to learn how to get over obstacles is try,try ,try agian and when you finally clear it,it is the best feeling knowing you have conquered that obstical. even putting a samll rock to make it easier is not something i would like to see. what i would like to see is that person trying to clear it and do it. flow is great, but if you can't flow thru the trail because of an obstical someone else may be able to. Evolution of a trail by mother nature is inevitable lets leave trail sanitizing to her.:thumbsup:
well put eric
How are things?
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top