Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with the Yellow trail branching left from Cannonball as you head north toward Ringwood SP from the top of Skyline Drive?? It's marked by NYNJTC as a hiking-only trail through a "fragile" environment. I've hiked it...nothing fragile about it. It follows the high ground along the ridge, so no problem with wet areas and there's plenty of rock to reinforce the trail. It's an awesome technical ride. I know the answer...this is just more of a rant than anything else. Maybe the latest NJ trails survey will change the balance of power in favor of those who actually use the trails in NJ.

I'm not going to ride trails illegally because I do believe it hurts our longer-term cause of expanding access to trails. Is the hiking-only designation there official and enforceable?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
ponyexpress said:
I'm not going to ride trails illegally because I do believe it hurts our longer-term cause of expanding access to trails.
I agree with this statement and try to obey restrictions for the long-term good of my own biking as well as for other bikers. That said, I guess I contradict myself since I I biked the yellow trail after it separates from Cannonball just Sunday. There were as many bikers as hikers on it (maybe 4 of each). The hikers were fine, probably since they're used to it in Ringwood/Ramapo, and we were courteous and let people pass. A very technical trail and some real fun spots. Someone let me know if this is a big no-no and I won't do that trail again.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Wasn't their a recent thread about this? I recall reading the conclusion being that those posters were put up by a hiking group eventhough the trail was officially multi-use, and should be ignored.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
idbrian said:
Wasn't their a recent thread about this? I recall reading the conclusion being that those posters were put up by a hiking group eventhough the trail was officially multi-use, and should be ignored.
I hope you're right! I didn't find that thread in my search. Maybe a JORBA rep can confirm?

If it turns out that it is in fact multi-use, then those signs should be removed by someone with the authorization to do so.

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
ponyexpress said:
I've hiked it...nothing fragile about it. ?
I am going to guess the answer is lichen and moss. Perhaps there is a little flower growing in there as well that is 2" high.
It is pretty, it does get trashed when you ride on it and it's pretty much the only thing on that trail if it is the one I am thinking of..
I will check it out Sunday.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Some of the trail is abbsolutely closed to bikes, as part of the trail falls on state land and part on county land. Bergen county has a ban on off road bikes on trails. This is something that can only be changed by Board of Chosen Freeholders.

Getting a multi-use designation on such a trail would be very hard. Although, RVCC is in the works (2 years now) on getting an official marked and 100% open conector trai between the 2 parks. Hopefully this spring!!

Yes, those signs were most likely put up by the NYNJTC, and it is not enforced by park officials at this time. Although, not following the rules can give bikers a bad name, and it is usually best to follow the rules as any law abiding citizen with constitutional rights would do. ;) ;)

Ellen
RVCC

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pixy said:
Some of the trail is abbsolutely closed to bikes, as part of the trail falls on state land and part on county land. Bergen county has a ban on off road bikes on trails. This is something that can only be changed by Board of Chosen Freeholders.

Getting a multi-use designation on such a trail would be very hard. Although, RVCC is in the works (2 years now) on getting an official marked and 100% open conector trai between the 2 parks. Hopefully this spring!!

Ellen
RVCC
OK, thanks for the clarification. I also found an old thread in which you mentioned that any trails that fall in Passaic county are multi-use. Does that include portions of the Yellow trail in Passaic?

Keep us posted on the multi-use trail project! It's unfortunate that another trail needs to be built when the existing trails are underused and perfectly good, but I guess the few uptight hikers who can't tolerate a few mtn bikes going by will be happy.

G

·
I don't see how bike riders would hurt that trail alot because it seems like there is a decent amount of time when you are riding mainly on rock. I don't think bikers would do any harm to it.
Great trail : )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.