Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for approx. two months, 5 - 6 days a week, and recently switched to mornings. Like practically everyone else that is just starting, I am trying to lose some weight while getting my cardio up. What's a good breakfast to eat before a ride, keeping in mind that I usually have to shovel it in, then hop on the bike right afterwards? Currently I like oatmeal or cream of wheat (yum) with some honey, approx. 300 calories total, and a banana. Maybe a nofat bagel thrown in. I don't want to eat anything too heavy obviously. Any other do's or don'ts? Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i'm no expert but i'd say you're on the right track. i, personally would throw in a little protein too. like a couple egg whites or maybe some peanut butter on toast. i like to mix some whey protein into my smoothies.

·
Registered
927 Posts
if you're trying to to lose weight

Stay away from the bagels! All bagels are relatively low fat, it's not the fat content in food that adds weight it's the carbohydrates or calories in it that people just don't use. If you eat something with a high carb of calorie content then it simply digests and if you don't use it then it turns to fat in your body. Bagels, potatoes, pasta, bread, pop, are some items that are huge in calories and if you read a can of coke it contains no fat at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
11 miles this morning, didn't feel great starting out cause I ate like 20 minutes before I rode, but got better a little later. 7:30am is way too late to start riding in Phoenix this time of year, I went through a gallon of water.

Thanks for the replies. No bagels huh? Dang it! Anything else that is a little more solid that I can substitute?

·
bang
1,288 Posts
some things i typically eat: wheat toast with peanut butter. cereal. oatmeal with brown sugar and maple syrup. cream of wheat (or whatever) with honey or gels. a nutrigrain bar and a banana. coffee, tea, water, milk or juice as you see fit. sometimes i only have a cup of coffee and go out (with a granola bar or something during the ride) and eat when i get back.

something not to do is go riding right after eating (unless it's just an easy criuse or something). i guess you can't help that? anything overly greasy is probably not a good idea either.

as for more solid, oatmeal and a banana isn't enough??

·
pronounced may-duh
4,309 Posts
I don't eat breakfast. For a short ride like 11 miles 1-2 hours or less, I don't think it's that important to eat before you set out. You can always eat after. Over 2 hours and you may need to eat something before or during the ride.

I lost 60 lbs last year. I eat nonfat yogurt and fresh fruit for luch almost every day. No breakfast just coffee and a good sized home cooked dinner.

The yogurt is very high in protien that is super easy for your body to absorb. The fresh fruit adds some vitamins, texture and makes it taste better. You can also add a bit of granola for crunch. Just keep your portions small and keep riding the bike and your weight will drop.

·
ride hard take risks
25,256 Posts
If you eat the Bagel & ride your burning the carbs, if you eat & sit it will get stored as fat. If your body is not used to riding or doing excersise at that particular time of the day it may need to adjust. Most of my riding is after noon or evening & when i do a mornning ride i get spanked beffor i start but just pedal through it & the body wakes up, reluctantly. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as "solid", I like something I can sink my teeth into, even though I really like oatmeal or cream of wheat, I need some crunch too. I like dogonfr's line of thinking on the bagel, lol. Maybe I'll try some fruit and water before the ride and eat afterwards like suggested.

·
Registered
190 Posts
try whole wheat bagels, anything that's whole grain is way better for you than food that uses refined/bleached/white flour.

man a whole wheat bagel with cream cheese & a little raspberry jam...mmmm, that's good eatin' and imo would be a perfect pre-ride breakfast.

·
Registered
927 Posts
it all depends on body style

I was just giving you the facts about food and how you calculate what you eat being an insulin dependent diabetic for the last 38 years I've pretty much seen and heard it all regarding food and how it affects your body.

Your body type will determine what you can and cannot eat and how it affects you. I can eat a bagel and donuts for breakfast and anything else I want, of coursre adjusting my insulin to handle it, and then ride and I'll lose weight just because all the males in my family have a skinny body type and we don't really gain. My sister on the other hand looks at a bagel and she's gaining weight even if she does exercise. It really depends on how you have fared with weight issues in the past, you're either someone who can pretty much eat anything and doesn't gain weight; or you're in the middle category and are bulky most of the time but will not gain weight if you exercise or you are a person who looks at food and gains weight no matter what you do.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.