Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing AV quite alot lately (so many fun singeltrack descents!), and the road has just been getting easier and easier.

So, for all you big guns out there...what's a fast time on the AV road (from parking lot to top of triple or radio towers)?

Just trying to gauge myself against the hardcore folks.

thanks

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
I've been doing AV quite alot lately (so many fun singeltrack descents!), and the road has just been getting easier and easier.

So, for all you big guns out there...what's a fast time on the AV road (from parking lot to top of triple or radio towers)?

Just trying to gauge myself against the hardcore folks.

thanks
I know folks that could outgun me easily, but on a good day I get to the "pin" above the towers and back to the p-lot in an hour or under. That'd make for about a 44 - 48 minute climb. One time I did it faster, but then went across to the ski area and descended that side to REM and so on.

If my computer is correct - it is almost exactly 10K from the gate at the p-lot to the "pin" at the top. Cheating and stopping at the lift, or below the towers next to the equipment rooms knocks a minute or three off, so I stay consistent and time the exact same start/finish points.

Hey! You are supposed to say first as you asked.... how fast are YOU doing it?

·
Registered
731 Posts
What's FAST for Atalaya?

I have only done Apen Vista Road to the top once and don't remember. plus i stopped at that nice rock view. I know i can do Atalaya from the St. Johns parking lot to the top in 54 minutes. What does everyone else do this climb in? 30 minutes?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glen- About 50-55 minutes, but I could go faster, i think. I've never timed myself on Atalya, and don't think I'd like to do that climb as fast as I could.

I've only just recenly started riding some of the singletrack from the top. I don't really like bombing down the road, especially on a sunday afternoon in july, so I've forgotten about AV for a while, but man, there is some great riding up there, especially if there was no Fedreal Wilderness Area.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
Glen- About 50-55 minutes, but I could go faster, i think. I've never timed myself on Atalya, and don't think I'd like to do that climb as fast as I could.

I've only just recenly started riding some of the singletrack from the top. I don't really like bombing down the road, especially on a sunday afternoon in july, so I've forgotten about AV for a while, but man, there is some great riding up there, especially if there was no Fedreal Wilderness Area.
Under an hour to the top is very respectable - took me a few years to break that mark.

I never, ever ride AV (or any of the more popular SF trails for that matter) during traffic times, especially weekend or fall colors mania! Bombing down the road with no one around is quite fun, making easier to do it again. And again.

No idea what singletrack your talking about except for the trail out Sunset at the ski area, as any terrain down into either the watershed or USFS Wilderness areas is obviously off-limits.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are two fantastic singletrack trails and more secrets rumored, kings ridge someday? That's what we call the ridge that goes from deception, past the towers, and down all the way to SF (follows right along the watershed boundary.

One, is going down the trail on GayWay, straight down the fall line. Take that to top of the Quad, and ride the 'secret meadow' trail back to the AV lot. You can find it on the Drake map. Over the past year, it's been in various conditions. First time we rode it, there was TONS of deadfall, then, we had a couple of cleaning rides and walks (the wife and daughter love that!) and then it was in primo shape. Then, our windbag winter knocked a bunch down, but it's been slowly improving over the summer. I havn't been out there since all of the rain, but I'd imagine it's in OK shape, but will still need some log cleaning.

The other, is a bit more secret, so I can't realy divulge it's complete location. But, I'll give you a hint: RR.
IMO, it's some of the best DH in SFNF.

have fun!

·
Registered
57 Posts
AV and then??

At the top of AV there appears to be a trail that follows a ridge line and hooks back up with the Windsor trail as it comes out of the ski basin parking lot. Spotted the trail on a Skyterrain map I picked up at Bike and Sport. Has anyone tried that trail?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey DoktorNo. i had that same question. I rode up AV yesterday (58 minutes) and was gonna ride what i thought was Ravens Ridge. I ended up just descending the ski hill to Hyde Park rd. Where is this Ravens Ridge? It was a fun ride anyway. I ended up riding that little loop called the nordic ski trail. It was much fun

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ssweetleaf-

Here's the (legal) way to ride Ravens Ridge.

From the top of the triple chair (err...the older one, not the new cursed lift) head north down "sunset trail" (the cat-track that runs to the skiers right from the top of the chair), when it makes a large switchback about 1/4 mile from the top, get off your bike, and push it up to the top of Raven's (some call this 'elevator', it's a bootpack in the winter). From the saddle, ride (if you can) to the top of the 'titties'. You are now on Raven's Ridge. Super fun, some very steep and technical singletrack. The last 1/3 of the ridge is right along a barbed wire fence, so be careful...it's kinda scary.

This trail is awesome, and part of me can't believe I'm sharing it with the world...but...go for it, and let us know how you like it.

good luck

·
rohloff rich
397 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
This trail is awesome, and part of me can't believe I'm sharing it with the world...but...go for it, and let us know how you like it.
Don't worry, it's not like you're revealing a state secret. I've been hiking that trail for over ten years but have never biked it because it's not my cup of tea (though I know Glen has biked it). There is another way to get to Raven's Ridge without going down Sunset that is perfectly legal. From the top of the triple, continue north along the ridge, just skirting the watershed boundary. When you emerge from the trees, contour around to the left, following the tree line. When you get close to the ridge (and the unmarked wilderness boundary) turn left down the ridge. The trail is often difficult to find in this area since it's kind of braided but it firms up eventually. And please be nice to the hikers. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the trail isn't secret, but I didn't think too many people think of it as a trail to ride.

anyway...when you start up the ridege from the top o' the triple, you soon get to the Wilderness Boundary sign, far before tree line. I havn't looked at a map (drake doesn't show the boundary) but I'd imagine you're right, I doubt that's the actual wilderness boundary, as Benny's new chairlift is much higher on deception peak.

I've never actually done it the way I told Sswets, but I didn't want to give someone advice, and then have them commit a federal offense.

·
rohloff rich
397 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
anyway...when you start up the ridege from the top o' the triple, you soon get to the Wilderness Boundary sign, far before tree line. I havn't looked at a map (drake doesn't show the boundary) but I'd imagine you're right, I doubt that's the actual wilderness boundary, as Benny's new chairlift is much higher on deception peak.
What you're thinking of is probably a Watershed boundary sign, as I know there are signs up there but they refer to the watershed boundary line that goes along the ridge which, of course is illegal for anyone to cross--bike or no bike. Being on the ridge is totally legal, though. Good of you to be cautious, though.

·
rohloff rich
397 Posts
SSweetleaf said:
Thanks for the info. I think i will try to find that today. So Ravens ridge will run right into the Winsor? Is it marked up there? Thanks
You probably already found this out, but the Raven's Ridge trail does intersect the Winsor Trail right at the Wilderness gate. From there you just head down the Winsor to the ski area parking lot.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rs3o said:
What you're thinking of is probably a Watershed boundary sign, as I know there are signs up there but they refer to the watershed boundary line that goes along the ridge which, of course is illegal for anyone to cross--bike or no bike. Being on the ridge is totally legal, though. Good of you to be cautious, though.
No, I'm aware of the watershed signs, that's not what I'm talking about.

As soon as you leave the ski trail sunset, on the ridge toward deception peak, you cross a standard Wilderness Boundary sign (big wooden thing, standard wilderness boundary sign). It's on the right, about 10' off the trail, about 100' (200'?) from Sunset. Hard to miss. It's a bunch of BS, as Benny's new chair is wayyyy above it, but more to the North.

Anyway, I don't think you'd have any problems up there, as it'd be a pretty easy argument that you're not in Wilderness when you take a look at the new chairlift. But, they're certainly is a sign, and It's been there since I've been skiing/hiking/biking in New Mexico, about 5 years.

So, Ssweetleaf, how was the ride? I was up there yestereday, but the lightning was too close, so we turned around. We were right around the big switchback in T2 (the 'stony ridge' switchback, with the awesome views about 1 or 2 miles from the very top) when the lightning started coming REALLY close. scary, but we made a good decsion, from there, we rode down AVR to the Big T trail, big T trail past the road, and down to the Winsor, Winsor down to tesuque, then rode the road back to town, then shuttled back up to get our car. Not what we planned on doing, but the weather was dictating our day.

yah gotta love the monsoons!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
...then shuttled back up to get our car.
I don't understand...? Why was your car back up on the mountain?

JK :D

As for the ridge to Deception Peak - I think I recall that sign, but lord - it'd be splitting hairs to say that the route Rich described was somehow illegal. I might be overly optimistic, or have adapted (all to readily) the New Mexico blase approach to such rigid adherence to the letter of the law - but I'd swear, between the GPS data, my TOPO mapping software, and my hiking/splitboarding/biking excursions up there, that one in fact skirts the very edge of the boundary. Maybe one would sway a few feet into wilderness area along here, but as noted - the new chair is a far more imposing environmental impact than that obscure ribbon of trail, and as long as one were to stay clear of the OTHER side of the ridge (watershed) or try to continue on to Lake Peak (hahaha!) I'd bet no one would hassle you.

FWIW, I dislike the trail between Deception down to Ravens Ridge not because of it's steepness or technical nature, but the abuse one receives from the car-wash like overgrowth on the sides of trail! Oh, and the large hike-a-bike boulder garden. Oh, and the barbed wire descent down the bottom part of the trail. The screaming descent down non-wilderness Winsor is pretty fun though (on weekdays, when there are no hikers out), especially if you continue down it or REM near the ski basin p-lot.

Basically, it's a 1-2 times a year "for the hell of it" traverse from Aspen Vista. Descending the ski area is fast and furious, whereas the RR descent is beautiful and amazing. I hike up there more than bike - by far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glen--

You dislike the ravens ridge trail? I've only ridden it a few times, all this summer, but I didn't notice any bad overgrowth. The barbed wire fence is scary, but still a fun section of trail (someone has pushed the posts away from the trail for much of it, so it isn't a knuckle-cutter. Only one significant rock garden that I can remember, and the rest is rideable (at least on my new 575). There are some steep rock gardens, but i'm sure you've got the mojo to clean 'em up. Also, I'd certainly describe RR as "furious" not fast, but holy shite is it scary.

I have ridden from deception to lake, and cleaned it. But no one was around to see, it was on my old hardtail, and I don't think I could do it on my new full cush.

(joke)

We left a car at Aspen V because we're wussies. Woke up with the plan of riding up from town or tesuque, but dealing with mechanical issues in town ate up a big ol chunk of our morning. Plus, we're wimps.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeaa I went up there last Tuesday. I got all suited up and started riding up the trail and got about 100 yards and the lightning was too close for comfort so i went back to the car and drove back down to Chameza trailhead and rode that to serpent- Winsor then back up Chameza. I hope to try it this week sometime. Try earlier next time. Sounds like it is gonna be a fun taking Ravens Ridge down to Winsor. Sounds Tech.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
Glen--

You dislike the ravens ridge trail? I've only ridden it a few times, all this summer, but I didn't notice any bad overgrowth. The barbed wire fence is scary, but still a fun section of trail (someone has pushed the posts away from the trail for much of it, so it isn't a knuckle-cutter. Only one significant rock garden that I can remember, and the rest is rideable (at least on my new 575). There are some steep rock gardens, but i'm sure you've got the mojo to clean 'em up. Also, I'd certainly describe RR as "furious" not fast, but holy shite is it scary.
The "rock garden" is definately an impossible-to-ride boulder field, but I also heard a rumor that there's a way around it, which I'll need to verify one day. Overall, for the work it takes to get all the way up to Deception, I never seem to feel all that great about RR/Winsor back down. Dunno why. Can clean everything except said boulder field - maybe it's just that it's so much more fun in the snow!

lacticacidbath said:
I have ridden from deception to lake, and cleaned it. But no one was around to see, it was on my old hardtail, and I don't think I could do it on my new full cush.

(joke)
LOL - yeah.... I dropped in Nambe Chutes on my CX bike and busted no-footed can-can 360's on the way down :yikes: ! Christ - now that ya mention it that would be a hell of a Hans Rey sorta maniacal stunt though....

lacticacidbath said:
We left a car at Aspen V because we're wussies. Woke up with the plan of riding up from town or tesuque, but dealing with mechanical issues in town ate up a big ol chunk of our morning. Plus, we're wimps.
Nooooo.... still a hell of a ride - I wasn't give ya crap!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.