Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Riding free's the mind
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a big fan of Hutchinson tires, first with the Pythons & currently using UST Spiders. The Spiders are great because they're very fast rollers, large volume and more agressive tread than the Pythons.

Previous tires I've used - WTB's were sluggish & not very compliant over rough terrain, & Continental Verticals were squirmy in corners with ok rolling resistance.

Thinking of trying something else. I do a lot of climbing to get to the downhills, so prefer larger volume tires that have good tread & are still fast (UST tubeless preferred). It seems that Maxxis and Kenda are quite popular? What are your favorite XC tires and why?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Tarekith said:
Nevegals, fast and sticky, very predictable feedback.
Not all Nevegals are fast Only the small DTC nevegals are fast, the big and/or stick-e neve's are like pedaling in sand (well perhaps not quite that bad;;-) In any case the sticky nevegals are NOT fast or light, nor are the 195 DTC (nevegal lites) particularly sticky.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hutchinson Python Air Light

HTail said:
I've been a big fan of Hutchinson tires, first with the Pythons & currently using UST Spiders. The Spiders are great because they're very fast rollers, large volume and more agressive tread than the Pythons.

Previous tires I've used - WTB's were sluggish & not very compliant over rough terrain, & Continental Verticals were squirmy in corners with ok rolling resistance.

Thinking of trying something else. I do a lot of climbing to get to the downhills, so prefer larger volume tires that have good tread & are still fast (UST tubeless preferred). It seems that Maxxis and Kenda are quite popular? What are your favorite XC tires and why?
My personal choice is the Hutchinson Python Air Lights. I have been using them for three years and have no complaints. They are very fast, but provide enough traction for varying conditions. The only minor downfall is if you are riding in mucky weather, which hopefully isn't too often. Lots of mud, and they are okay only. However, overall a nice tire for XC riding...

N.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cinder

2.1 Panaracer Cinders
Fast, grippy...turns great with round profile. Good in wet-mud-dry-roots-rocks

I'm very impressed so far with this tire. Nice volume for a 2.1

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
OK I'm weird

IRC Mythos 1.95's
Specialized Dirt Control and Dirt Master Teams.
Racing Ralph 2.1 (For Rear Only)

I wouldn't mind trying the Nobby Nic's from Schwable too. I've tried some Panaracer Trailblasters and they were a decent all around tire, but not really special. The RR on the front didn't like sand too much... one broken collarbone later they're off the bike. (Hey I have to blame the tires because it couldn't be me, right ;)).

Been a while since I've been on Ritchey or WTB tires, but wouldn't mind if they were given to me.

JmZ

HTail said:

·
Registered
316 Posts
DakotaJockey said:
2.1 Panaracer Cinders
Fast, grippy...turns great with round profile. Good in wet-mud-dry-roots-rocks

I'm very impressed so far with this tire. Nice volume for a 2.1

I second the Cinder. I'm running a 2.1 Cinder for rear and a 2.25 on the front. They're a little heavy for racing but an excellent choice for everyday riding.

I run 2.1 Spiders on my other set of wheels and they are excellent in dry conditions but when its wet and the leaves are on the ground, watch out!

I just picked up a set of Exiwolf 1.95 rear 2.1 front for my sons bike and they have a beautiful tread design but no chance to give them a good workout yet. They remind me of a Python with attitude. I'm thinking these will replace my Spiders soon enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Continental Explorer Supersonic in front and Twister Supersonic rear. Light, fast rolling, better than you might think in mud but really bad on wet roots and wet rocks.

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Mine

I like Kenda Blue Groove 2.1" Stick-E's on my Hammerhead. Noticeable rolling resistance, but climbing & cornering traction is incredible and downhilling (and I mean finishing my XC loop with about 1,200' of descent, not Red Bull Rampaging) is fast & confident. On my faster, 2.5" travel Razorback the Mythos 2.1" K's are perfect for my terrain. When I feel like some fast but squirrely action, 2.1" WTB Nanoraptors seem to have a bit more cornering traction than Python Golds, while giving me the climbing advantage of a semi slick.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
1. Michelin Comp S UST / Michelin XCR Dry UST
2. Maxxis Ignitor UST

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
WTB NanoRaptor for the dry hard stuff
WTB EpicWolf 2.1 for the rocky and wet stuff

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
For pure xc, I keep coming back to the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. Good everywhere but mud, light, cheap. Really gradual and predictable breakaway at the traction limit when cornering. I've hear the Cinder is a little better, but also a little heavier.

That said, I usually run something a little meatier on the front. Often a Kenda Nevegal or Blue Groove. The rolling resistance doesn't matter as much up front.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My all time favorites would have to be....

Front-Specialized Ground Control

Rear-Continental Competion Pro 1

·
Adobo Lover
984 Posts
UST Nevegals roll, corners, and climb well for me. Even though they are not the stick-e or DTC compounds, they are a blast to ride on. Downside, 11 pin prick sized holes from trail riding. I'm not running sealant, so they have been all patched up with Loctite. You can always roll the dice and use sealant with them. I've gone tubed 2.1 DTC Nevegals with my new bike.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts