·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little something from eBay . . .

Good condition, but not perfect . . .

New Formula K18s . . .

Some love from Turner . . .

Extensively "borrowed" parts from Fluxy . . .

An '09 Float RLC . . .

And voilà: a 2006 5.5 Spot . . .

Sorry, no couch shot . . . ;)

EDIT (whoops!): many thanks to Dave at Redstone for a smokin' deal on the fork, brakes, and other bits . . . the usual nod to DT and Jarett for fielding some geometry and setup questions about the 5.5 rockers . . . and thanks to CC and BZ for handling the odd build questions through PM. :thumbsup:

--MW

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tappoix said:
that's it....my stickers are coming off!
If you look closely at the blems pic, you'll see the Turner logo faded into the ano (previous owner ran with the stickers) . . . it's not a terrible branding aesthetic, but it was still tempting to ship her directly off to Olympic.

--MW

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
MW said:
If you look closely at the blems pic, you'll see the Turner logo faded into the ano (previous owner ran with the stickers) . . . it's not a terrible branding aesthetic, but it was still tempting to ship her directly off to Olympic.

--MW
No need I did that for my freinds stealth spot, all ya need is some silicon spray it will clean that up no probs and shines the paint nicely too!

What size 06 spot MW, Im keen to go 5.5 rockers on mine as a project to keep me busy!

Looks great by the way, I thought it was an 07/08 tthats how clean it looks sweet!

Chur,

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trailadvent said:
No need I did that for mu freinds stealth spot, all ya need is some silicon spray it will clean that up no probs and shines the paint nicely too!

What size 06 spot MW, Im keen to go 5.5 rockers on mine as a project to keep me busy!

Looks great by the way, I thought it was an 07/08 tthats how clean it looks sweet!
I'll try the silicon, but I'm pretty sure the sticker/logo lines are just faded into the ano . . . like if you put a sticker on your arm and went for a long ride on a sunny day: you'd get a little pale area amidst the tan when you pulled the sticker off. Same idea here, if that makes sense. Not too worried about it, though (the Olympic temptation is all about wanting trans sparkle red PC). ;)

Size is large. No downtube clearance issues with the DHXa. Rockers also clear the DHXa, but I had to swap on a longer main valve in order to attach the shock pump. FD clearance is -tight- (but okay) with a modified XT M761 . . . didn't work at all with an older M751. No seat tube / cable stop problems with 2.3 Spesh Reso USTs (looks like they'd even clear an older Spot with the cablestop in the middle of the tube). HA should sit around 68.5deg when everything is sagged to spec.

All in all, I am pretty stoked on how this turned out. Really curious to see how I like the slack-ish geometry . . . if it's a dog on the long climbs, I may shop 07/08 Spot seatstays to bump everything back to where DT penned it.

First ride is slated for tomorrow morning . . . and I've got about two weeks for an MTB road trip starting, well, now (say . . . Fruita? Moab? . . . no settled plans yet).

Thanks for the thumbs up . . . I def. put more time into the build than I'd expected, so I'm glad it shows.

-MW

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ignazjr said:
Sweet! The only thing it needs is a subtle black metal Turner headbadge.
Indeed. ;)

Couldn't find a #44 tap (it is a #44, right?), so that bit got postponed for the time being . . .

Thanks again, Dave.

--MW

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cactuscorn said:
ya done good. that blue anno is dead sexy. now get out the sandpaper, theres a few logos left.
Haha . . . if I ever find a way to sandpaper off etched (or whatever it is) branding without fugly-upping the finish, you can bet I'll be all over it! :D

Thanks again for your help with FD options.

--MW

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
MW said:
I'll try the silicon, but I'm pretty sure the sticker/logo lines are just faded into the ano . . . like if you put a sticker on your arm and went for a long ride on a sunny day: you'd get a little pale area amidst the tan when you pulled the sticker off. Same idea here, if that makes sense. Not too worried about it, though (the Olympic temptation is all about wanting trans sparkle red PC). ;)

Size is large. No downtube clearance issues with the DHXa. Rockers also clear the DHXa, but I had to swap on a longer main valve in order to attach the shock pump. FD clearance is -tight- (but okay) with a modified XT M761 . . . didn't work at all with an older M751. No seat tube / cable stop problems with 2.3 Spesh Reso USTs (looks like they'd even clear an older Spot with the cablestop in the middle of the tube). HA should sit around 68.5deg when everything is sagged to spec.

All in all, I am pretty stoked on how this turned out. Really curious to see how I like the slack-ish geometry . . . if it's a dog on the long climbs, I may shop 07/08 Spot seatstays to bump everything back to where DT penned it.

First ride is slated for tomorrow morning . . . and I've got about two weeks for an MTB road trip starting, well, now (say . . . Fruita? Moab? . . . no settled plans yet).

Thanks for the thumbs up . . . I def. put more time into the build than I'd expected, so I'm glad it shows.

-MW
Um yep understand the Olympic UGI need, will go down nice, yeah the sili might not do it if its that deep, spotz was similar I dunno how much but I was able to get his black pretty good, but nothing beats new paint!

Shes looking great, am really suprised by the K18s I like the look allot and Ive ridden the older version so I know they will be good on the Spot as well, nice choice, I lik the no gold bling look intially I thought they were ones..

Cool enjoy the road trip, am envious I love road trips and the Spots gonna love that, cool MW remember to take some piccs if ya get time:thumbsup:

Chur...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
trailadvent said:
Shes looking great, am really suprised by the K18s I like the look allot and Ive ridden the older version so I know they will be good on the Spot as well, nice choice, I lik the no gold bling look intially I thought they were ones..

Cool enjoy the road trip, am envious I love road trips and the Spots gonna love that, cool MW remember to take some piccs if ya get time:thumbsup:
The K18s were Dave's/ignazjr's call for a no-frills, all-around Spot stopper . . . that come in black. ;) Time will tell, but they seem like a good match for this build.

I'll definitely be taking lots of pics on the road trip and posting here when I get back. It's a solo trip, though . . . and I suck with the self-timer . . . so expect lots of landscapes. :rolleyes:

--MW

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
MW said:
The K18s were Dave's/ignazjr's call for a no-frills, all-around Spot stopper . . . that come in black. ;) Time will tell, but they seem like a good match for this build.

I'll definitely be taking lots of pics on the road trip and posting here when I get back. It's a solo trip, though . . . and I suck with the self-timer . . . so expect lots of landscapes. :rolleyes:

--MW
Sweet and sweet, solo trips are goodis too, someitmes it fun just yourself out in the middle of know where you and nature the elements adds to the thrill and also you take so much more in at times, enjoy be safe:thumbsup:

Chur..

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First ride . . .

Just back from my first ride with the Spot.

New Bike Syndrome + first time on a new trail + still dialing the suspension . . . so there ain't much I can pretend to say in terms of comparisons or assessment or whatever.

Fun? Yep.
Plush? Yep.
Stable? Yep.
Stoked? You bet. :thumbsup: :D :)

Pretty sure I've also joined the "waaaaay too much bike for my trails" club. ;)

Most importantly, though, I -finally- nailed a self-timer shot . . .

. . . and even managed to capture two of the most boring sequences ever posted here . . .

It ain't BZ-caliber, but it's a start.

Beyond that, my only comment is that it's gonna take a while to sort all the gizmos on the DHXa. Sag is where it should be, but it seems to move through too much of its stroke too easily. I upped the main pressure a bit, and also upped the propedal a couple clicks--both of which seemed to help a little--but I feel like those are band-aid solutions. Gonna turn my attention to that boost valve thingy and see what it can do for me.

-MW

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice . . . doppleganger Spots. :)

First impressions of the K18s are positive . . . also like the fact that organic pads are the standard spec, meaning sintered pads are an option down the road if I want a little extra oomph.

--MW

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Nice report MW, looking good, different riding so go easy on ya self looks great..:thumbsup:

Good to hear the mods are going so well.. Bike looks great on the trail too..

Wilks another nic Spot dude, Im gonna have to try the 5.5 rockers when Im back on board I think, Im liking the way it updates the 06 frame sweeet:thumbsup:

Great stoke,

Chur....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.