Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pretty lucky to have riden all summer with no crash. No trees, no creeks, no rock gardens and no bees nests. My luck seriously took a turn for the worst on Saturday. I decided to step it up and well it showed. I went down three times. The last was in an area I've riden all summer long so it was nothing new. My back tire slid off a root on an incline in a turn and down a cliff I went. Head over bars. Scraped several areas and blood to show. Interesting day. What's been your worst?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've snapped two frames and got away with nothing more than minor bruising, thought the frame I bent, that was stitches for a hole that I could see my kneecap through!

Though the worst would have been a really soft one, in Les Gets on the Mont Chery World Cup course. It had started raining and the previously dry clay just turned to glass, and on a normally hellish fast steep corner I went around it far too slowly and the front wheel washed out and I went down hard on my shoulder with no bracing for the impact. Buggered tendons and me out of action on day 3 of a 10 day holiday.

Shite. :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That's easy. It would have to be a road crash many years ago. Chasing a buddy down the ski area access road to in Whitefish MT. I'm told we both went into the turn too fast, one skidmark curved into the gravel at the last possible spot, and one continued over the edge. The latter one was mine. When I woke up later and realized I was in a hospital room, there was no-one I knew around, since this was in the midst of a stage race and all were at the next stage. Didn't damage any helmets since this was prior to their widescale adoption. Ten years later I was hosting a couple riders from Calgary at my house in Eugene for a stage race when the talk turned to that incident, one of them said, "was that your bike hanging in the tree?" Another little piece falls into place,... since I have no conscious memory of crashing. All I remember is hopping on the bike at the top of the hill.
Since then, I've used up five helmets. Wear your helmets!

·
slow
7,241 Posts
I've been fortunate so far in 20 years of mtb and more of road riding. Only one broken helmet. Worst crashes:

Road: Tried to pass (on the right) a soccer mom in a minivan on a mountain road and hit a sandy shoulder and then a guardrail at 30mph. It was February, so I was bundled up and the crash resulted in only road rash on my shoulder and leg.

Mtn: Endo about 8-10 miles into Monarch Crest. Peeled back some of the skin on my kneecap as I dragged it over a log and rock, tore up a seat, an ended upside down against a tree with my feet in the air and my back against the tree. Only injury was the bloody knee, which stiffened considerably after finishing the remainder of the 35 mile ride.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hands down...Check the pic...

None of real magnitude for a few years. However, hands down my worst was the one on the attached pic. A photographer caught me in full flight on this. It was during a 24 hour race lap a few years back. A guy in front of me slowed down quite slow that the "momentum is your friend" theory couldn't be used and I lost control as you can see. Check out the resulting bruises...

traylseeker said:
I've been pretty lucky to have riden all summer with no crash. No trees, no creeks, no rock gardens and no bees nests. My luck seriously took a turn for the worst on Saturday. I decided to step it up and well it showed. I went down three times. The last was in an area I've riden all summer long so it was nothing new. My back tire slid off a root on an incline in a turn and down a cliff I went. Head over bars. Scraped several areas and blood to show. Interesting day. What's been your worst?

Attachments

·
MrT
119 Posts
My worst was on a mtn bike, but not in the woods. I was hurrying through town and maybe 100yards from my sleeping quarters when I decided to jump the "ramped" part of a curb that I have done a thousand times before. Apparantly I was going faster than I typically am at that point and went so much higher and farther than I expected. Needless to say the concrete light post that I hit shoulder first didn't feel great. I hit the stinking pole so hard that my shoes rocketed off my feet in the opposite direction upon impact.

Bike was ok.

Oh yeah, and there was the time that I got run over by a dirt bike on a "multi-use" trail. That sucked too. Bike was not ok on that one.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
I went over a small log pile. I was tired and wasn't paying much attention. The rear wheel bounces into the front of the log pile as I go over it. I flip OTB and land on my upperback and lower neck.. The bike landed on top of me and almost smashed my face. Somehow managed to catch it on time.

I couldn't turn my head much for a few days after and I was scratched up all over.

Maybe not my worst but the most painful.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
OTB hard attempting to jump the double humps trail at Dana Peak. Face abrasions galore and stitches to bridge of nose. Busted helmet, riding shades, and misaligned rear d. went on a week riding vacation in the palo duro the next day. mainly healed by the time I got back to work 2 or 3 weeks later.
Is that the Dana Peak in Harker Heights, TX??? I rode a section of it back in May 2006.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I remember when I was in 8th grade, I lived in Peru, Indiana. Behind the trailer park, there was two hills, one small and one decent sized one that we jumped our bikes on. I must have jumped them so many times that I never thought anything of it when I jumped them.

Of course, the moment you think nothing of it, then Murphy and Darwin conspire to give you a wedgie. I jumped the small one without a problem then I came to the larger one and as soon as my bike went in the air, mysteriously my bike went one way and I went the other. I landed on my left wrist and sprained the crap out of it, had to wear this splint thingee for 2 - 3 weeks afterwards.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
that's the one. It might not be the most techie trail around by any stretch----but I'm a wheels strictly to the ground type of rider--I had no business trying to fly.
The section I rode was pretty nice, it flowed nice and such. I think it was close to where the boat launch area was at. On the lake side of the road.

·
boomer
888 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
haha--that blog entry is too effin' funny! :thumbsup:
Thanks, the episode has been quite humbling. My buddy who was following me loves to tell everyone about the time he read my serial number. I swear I was in mid-fall for like a minute. (Or at least it felt like it.)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Happened on a 20 inch dirt bike. I was hauling tail down the sidewalk and bunny hopping curbs and on one my hand slipped off. I tried to grab it before I hit the ground but no go. Once I landed the handle bars vered to the right and I side swiped a wood sided building. I hit it face first and then started tumbling. I flipped so many times, hit a pole, skidded on the sidewalk, and when I come to rest I was twisted up in the bike. I had skin ripped off the right side of my face, broken blood vessel in my eye, skin missing from both hips, both knees, both elbows, and my right shoulder. A guy saw it and thought I got hit by a car it was so violent. He asked if I got hit by that car, I just said "No I just screwed up" then I got up and rode away. It took 6 months for the blood to get out of my eye.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts