Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been biking regularly for about a year now, XC pretty much exclusively with some pretty good downhill sections and small jumps. Not racing yet, just with friends but I might look into some races this summer.

I have a Trek 4300 disc from the local bike shop and am in the market for a new fork--the original fork was the obvious weak link and at this point the suspension is completely shot.

I'm a relative novice when it comes to parts/brands...what's a quality fork for under $300, preferably more in the $150-$250 range. I'm not a weight weenie, I just want a solid fork that'll take me where I need to go.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you're an intermediate MTBer and want a fork for around 200, get a used Rock Shox Reba on ebay. The Reba design has been 90% the same since 2005, so any model 2005 or later is a light, reliable, easy-to-tune fork that works well. I still have an 05 Reba, and compared to my new 2010 Fox Float, it works just as well in not better (its more broken in, the Fox is sticky). I also had an 06 Reba for a couple years. Neither of them ever gave me any trouble.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Shop around, there are good deals out there. I went
in a bike shop a while back and got a new Reba Race
with a push button lock out for $300.

Best, John

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anmccoy, the Reba had a linear brake option in 05 and 06, but most of them were disc only. It will be easier to find that option on a SID or a Manitou (but make sure it is a good model of Manitou... some of their forks are good but some are unreliable). You might find it easier to buy an inexpensive disc brake like a Deore or BB7 and get that going at the same time as the fork. Having a disc brake on the front and a rim brake on the rear actually works very well as your front wheel does most of the stopping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts