Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dobe feels fat, I absolutely love the bike and the way it handles, it could just do with losing some weight. I haven't weighed the bike but comparing it to other urban bikes I'd say it weighs at least 35lbs. Heres the spec list:

Frame: Dobermann Molosse, 6.5 lbs
Fork: 2004 Marzocchi DJ2, heavy
Bars: Easton EA30, cut down to 24.5 inches
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 50mm
Brakes: Avid BB7 160mm rear
Crankset: Bontrager King Earl cranks w/ Howitzer BB
Seat: WTB Lazer V
Wheels: Funn 24", 48 spoke wheels

I think its gotta be the funn wheels and the DJ2 that are killing it, but I can't live without the funns, when it comes to DJs, I tend to wreck wheels. Other than that I'm relatively weight conscious. Is 35lbs an acceptable weight for a SS hardtail with only a rear brake?

Sorry about the shatty pic, its hard to take pics in the dorm room with only the macbook webcam.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snaky69 said:
Ditch the fork, 36h is plenty for anyone, I don't know why you feel the need to have 48h. That alone could easily save you a few pounds

If you can trash a strong and well built 36h rim, unless you crash real hard, you might want to better your landing technique.
I've trashed my 36H singletracks a lot, its not just DJ landings, when I'm learning new stuff I tend to be a hack, I plan on Picking up a sherman firefly because I'd rather not shell out for a pike, then the bike will be a do it all bike, including a shuttle bike, weird I know. But I'm 6'2", almost 190lbs and I really like the extra security in the wheels.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I'd at least go with a 36h front then, the susp. reduces chance of taco'ing a front wheel, that and obviously the fork.
If you get a firefly, I hope you plan on lowering it, that frame with 130 of travel would be bunk.

maybe get a new slim seat and tiny seatpost.

haha, I was gonna be like, wow, a LHD dobermann! then was wondering how you got the FUNN's to work like that, but with the stickers and all, I'm assuming you have your mac webcam set up so it flips the screen?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Lickqid said:
just the tubes the guys at the shop gave me, nothing special. But still, is 35lbs ridiculus?
I wouldn't say 35lb is ridiculous... there are quite a few high dollar geared dj/park bikes out there that are still around that range.... but, like you said, you like the security of having bombproof parts, and you describe yourself as a big dude, so learn to chuck it. ;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BikeSATORI said:
I'd at least go with a 36h front then, the susp. reduces chance of taco'ing a front wheel, that and obviously the fork.
If you get a firefly, I hope you plan on lowering it, that frame with 130 of travel would be bunk.

maybe get a new slim seat and tiny seatpost.

haha, I was gonna be like, wow, a LHD dobermann! then was wondering how you got the FUNN's to work like that, but with the stickers and all, I'm assuming you have your mac webcam set up so it flips the screen?
ha, yea it must have, I didn't even notice that. Getting new wheels isn't really and option. Got any fork Ideas that can be found used easily, have adjustable travel, and will definitely lower my overall weight? Price limit 200

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
Todd, gotta say something here... I'm callin' it, your scales or estimates are pretty far off.
tell that to lakeside bikes and bike and hike :eekster: weighed them on their scales. the only weight that is off in picture, is the rumble. the seat, tires, bars, stem and cranks are gone.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I don't think 35lbs is too heavy, my bmx is about that weight. Last I chk'd it was bout 36. For added security the weight to me is a small price. Not that I'm a bad rider just that I try new tricks so casing happens a lot.

·
Registered
561 Posts
my trash bike aka only bike weighs in at 31-33 lbs or so, maybe less maybe more. its primarily the frame, the gas tank gusset 243, but im hoping when i get the $ im completely rebuilding and maybe getting my nemesis and all that crap is gonna be about 26-29 lbs pending. im light but really hard on parts (5'7" 120) and i blew up a 36h rhynolite wheel on a novatec hub. id say 30lbs is a respecatble weight for a ss park and dj bike w/ one brake

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.