Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear what people think with a Fox 36 (non-talus) up front for riding, espcially climbing. By my calculations, on a 2009/10, it would put the head angle at sub 67 degrees, something like 66.8. I know it would decend like a demon, but is it going to climb like poo?

Also how much does it raise the theoretical bottom bracket height (not accounting for variances in tires)?

Any input would be great.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This has been discussed, not sure if it was here or in the suspension section, I run a TALAS and do tend to lower the forks for climbs, can't remember if it was TIGGS or EATDRINKRIDE that uses a float 36 and has no problems.

I'd have a search as we did has lots of 36 threads kicking around.

Cheers Phil

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a 36 Float on my 575. It doesn't give me any problems climbing

·
Registered
523 Posts
Old bike was a rigid. Climbs are about a mile usually gradual but some short steep stuff.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
spend the extra money...

MqtRider said:
I'd like to hear what people think with a Fox 36 (non-talus) up front for riding, espcially climbing. By my calculations, on a 2009/10, it would put the head angle at sub 67 degrees, something like 66.8. I know it would decend like a demon, but is it going to climb like poo?

Also how much does it raise the theoretical bottom bracket height (not accounting for variances in tires)?

Any input would be great.
And get either the TALAS or a Lyrik U-turn. Sure, you can get by with a straight 160mm fork but the effort it takes to keep the front end under control on steep climbs make it a PITA:madmax: (literally, you'll need to bury the tip of the saddle into your keister) . Dial the fork down and you'll be doing this instead:D For what it's worth, my Lyrik stays at @130-140mm on the steep technical climbs before opening her up for the descents.

·
EDR
10,430 Posts
Paperplane said:
I really wish FOX would put a lock out on the 36. I have to use a Totem on my 7 because I love having lock-out for the climbs.
That's funny because I just removed the floodgate(also the lockout) on my Lyrik. I never used it for anything, no matter how long the climb.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the 36 Talas and love it. I don't always even remember to lower it for climbs. When I forget, yes it does wonder a bit, but that could come down to the operator as much as anything. Many times when I remember I'm almost to the top anyway!
It's something you could probably get used to or compensate for after a couple of climbs.

I would still be extremely happy even if I had the fixed travel Float. But, overall I'm glad I have the Talas. If coming up to a long climb, I do lower it. Your decision may come down to how much time you spend climbing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i will tell you that i rock a 36 talas and have really grown to love it on my '10 yeti 575. i don't adjust it beyond having the right amount of air in it... climbing isn't really a ***** or anything.. so i say thumbs up to to a 36 fork :D //g

·
Pin it to win it
486 Posts
I have a Lyrik (used to have a 2step, now I have a u-turn) on my '08 575. Works awesome... decends amazingly. All the climbs around me are long with a lot of elevation gain and quite a few steep pitches. I usually will lower my fork for the climb, but when the 2step I used to have broke the travel adjust I ran it at 160 all the time for a month or so, wasn't too big of a deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.