Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This may seem silly to some, but I need some guidance. I'm looking at a really cheap 2010 WFO closeout frame and it's affordable - I really originally wanted a RIP9 though.
I really enjoy rough technical single track with 2-3 foot drops, I don't do XC and only pedal up jeep roads to get to single track.

My question is, if I build the WFO with a REBA 140mm, is it a bike that I'll be able to pedal up jeep roads without killing myself, I'm pretty unfit and overweight. I don't think that an extra pound will make any difference to me. I think that I might appreciate the slacker HA, I have a fear of going over the handle bars after the last crash on my Spesh SJ which broke my shoulder.

I'm not sure what to do - I can't afford to make the wrong choice.

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
106 Posts
I replaced my old Foes FXR with the WFO and I can pedal longer and farther and ride down things I never could before. In my opinion this is one of the most versitile bikes out there. You can ride it all day long on epics and big climbs yet still go to the ski resort for DH. It pedals much better than I expected. It sounds like a great bike for you. I have a friend looking for a deal on a large, PM if you find one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - just the push I needed. The frame is from bikebling.com, they only have wfo in milk dud medium for $1100. The rear spacing is a bit odd but I think that it'll be ok.

...............just ordered ! Can't wait to get ripping :))))

·
Underskilled
4,804 Posts
It is almost the same bike as the RIP, but that bit more capable.

I used to think my RIP was the best bike I ever rode, then I rode this =-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With all these happy owners, I wonder why more people aren't all over these bikes. Anyway, soon after my posting, I noticed that bikebling sold out - I'm wondering if the good people reading these posts rushed over a cleared them out? Looking forward to seeing some more builds here...but, back to mine

I'm on a budget, but I want reasonably good all mountain gear, I'm thinking

stans flows with Hope pro 2 hubs ( the frame is 150mm rear)
reba 140mm RLT Ti ( any better 140mm forks out there)
Sram 2x10 X9 groupset with Juicy 5's

Am I on the right track with this one?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With all these happy owners, I wonder why more people aren't all over these bikes. Anyway, soon after my posting, I noticed that bikebling sold out - I'm wondering if the good people reading these posts rushed over a cleared them out? Looking forward to seeing some more builds here...but, back to mine

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
big_mtn said:

I think the WFO seems like an "aggro" bike. Folks think to themselves "I'm not aggro, I just want to have fun" and they buy a RIP. Fact is, the WFO and the RIP with a 140 fork pedal and handle so similarly there's no reason not to go for the bigger bike, especially if you like to do any drops or rough riding. The RIP can do it, but the WFO does it better.

I was too hard on the Flows for WFO use. I ended up going with the Halo Freedoms instead for better durability. Your results may vary.

The Reba is the best choice for your fork duties, hands down. Damping is amazing and stiffness with tapered steerer and 20mm axle will put your wheel where you want it.

The Juicy 5s may not be enough brake for you when you get your big wide tires moving down steep terrain. To stay within your budget, definitely consider a 203mm rotor on the front with metallic (as opposed to resin) brake pads for front and rear. If you dig up a few extra bucks, maybe consider Formula The One, Saint or new Codes. Yeah, they are expensive but they will do a better job of bringing your new machine to a stop, because you WILL be going faster than usual! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so my frame has shipped and it might take several days to get here - I've taken the wise advice regarding the juicy's and opting for something better - Saints or Hope M4's are on the cards.
Regarding the drivetrain, I'm not sure about a SRAM 2x10 x9 or XT 3X10. I like the simplicity of the SRAM but does it work for very slow technical climbs - I'm not really that fit just yet! I'de love hammershidt but the price :eek: is prohibitive.

·
Underskilled
4,804 Posts
Yo do not want a 3x on this bike, for the riding it is designed for you will grind that ring through the ground.

I have a 32/22 on the front and 12-34 on the back which does me fine.

If I was 10 speed I would be very tempted by 1x9.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To save some cash you can get an XT 9sp (triple) crankset for $200 or SLX for about $160 and then use a 9sp FD and shifter. I did this then used a Sram 10sp Cassette (11/36), chain and Shimano shadow med cage RD (10sp) with shimano 10sp shifter and it works great. I replaced the large chainring, which I rarely used, on my triple with a bashring. When I replace my rings I am most likely go to 24/34 instead of 22/32. I have not looked at prices of the 10sp cranksets lately but someone told me they have gone down alot in price. I got my best deals from Larry at Mtn High Cyclery in CO.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Agreed. Go 2x9 or 2x10 with a 3x crankset and replace the outer ring with a bashguard. I think the official SRAM 2x offerings are going to be too much (plus no bash to protect your big ring) if you want to pedal this bad boy around. A 22x32xBash on any old crankset sounds like the ticket.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.