Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont spend hours getting to know names and formulas and i tend to keep my bikes simple (dont have time to fiddle)
since i am investing in my first fsr frame i should try to understand a little more than i learnt in elementry school.
i am curious to know what the piggy back shock is for. i know the coil version allows for bigger hits which is obvious. but loads of 5.5" bikes come whith single cylinder shocks ie fox float and rp23 etc but the difference between 5.5" and 6" aint that much so what does the shock allow for. to comppare the 2006 enduro has a piggy back and is classified as all mountain. the orange five is fitted with a single cylinder, cant remember what, and is classified as a trail bike. can the enduro manage more free ride type riding purely cause of the shock? obviously excluding heavier welds and material etc.
i am also interested to know how the Santa Cruz 4x can be called an all mountain capable bike and is fitted with a 4.5" ish single cylinder, again cant remember what.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Having a "shock with a piggy back" doesn't mean, and shouldn't mean, anything about what the bike is meant for. It's just a way that manufacturer's add features and options to a shock where there is already little room to work with. Let's face it, if you want all the bells and whistles that you can have in a shock you're going to need room to put them all. The piggy back just allows this to happen in a manner that doesn't have us riding around with a shock that's 12" long with a 5" diameter.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Having a "shock with a piggy back" doesn't mean, and shouldn't mean, anything about what the bike is meant for. It's just a way that manufacturer's add features and options to a shock where there is already little room to work with. Let's face it, if you want all the bells and whistles that you can have in a shock you're going to need room to put them all. The piggy back just allows this to happen in a manner that doesn't have us riding around with a shock that's 12" long with a 5" diameter.
Unless you have a Foes 2:1 DH. In that case, your rear shock is something like 12" long and has a 5" stroke. Believe it or not, they didn't see a need for a piggyback on that one. :D

·
Ride on
639 Posts
Piggyback shocks typically offer more tuning features, at the expense of added weight. The most common added feature is the ability to make a shock more progressive at the end of its stroke, which reduces the likelihood of bottoming the shock. Most bikes with less travel aren't strong enough to take big hits anyway, so the added weight and expense of a piggyback shock isn't worth the tunable progressiveness.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Piggy backs allow for more oil flow. As the shock compresses, the volume of the shaft which goes into the body displaces the oil. You can either make the system use little oil and have an internal compartment for the displaced oil or allow it to flow more oil and let that extra, displaced oil flow into the piggy back. More oil flow = better damping (all other things being equal). Having oil flow into the piggy back also offers additional tuning possibilities, ie, DHX boost vavle.

_MK

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
there's a little man in those piggy back shocks...they help make sure the shock worx good on the inside...they are kind of like plumbers..

wouldn't it be nice though

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how small exactly is this little man? is he related to the little dude in my camera that paints all the pics i take? i've been trying to find a little steve peat to put in my head but they are really hard to come by, even tried e-bay and almost got a cedric.

so i get the piggy back deal, including the little man, but how can the 4x bikes handle big hits if they run without one? like i said they are rated as down hill capable. i see boys doing drops on hardtails and my concern when i invest in a fs rig is blowing the shock, not the smoothest rider be i. i can see the benefit of more travel when hitting the rock gardens but how often will i be riding really rough ground is unknown. but i do jump around alot and like working on the odd drop off.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
count the question marks
seriously, i see the 5.5" bikes sit more in the trail category and are fitted with roughly the same sock. the shock fitted on the 6" bikes change to a piggy back. but the 4x bikes are hard hitting rides but are fitted with 4" shocks. thats my question, how does the desing relate to the shock. i have read through loads of opinionated threads about faux bars, sp, horst ....... and i am not trying to find which is better. i am learning as i go along but i am curious to see how shocks related to design. if anyone can recommend a site to research how shocks work maybe i can get answers there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm learning more about shocks also and it is slow going. I think alot of guys ride alot and have ridden alot of shocks/bikes, but they really don't know how it works. Not that I know.
That's why racers with a full schedule need mechanics. They're to busy racing to figure out which equipment to use. At a certain point you are just going to have to take a plunge and buy one. Or just buy the right bike in the first place. That's what I'm going to try to do. I'm going to spend more on a bike with a good reputation so I don't have to figure out this stuff.
I remember seeing piggy back shocks when they first came out on moto cross bikes. The manufacturers were trying everything they could to make longer travel bikes that handled.
From what I remember the piggyback cylinders were for cooling the oil. After taking so many hits the shock oil would overheat.
Maybe that is part of the reason for bicycles using them. For long downhill runs the oil is overheating. But if you are just taking hits on the flats or doing drops it doesn't overheat.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Juan, I'd take the Cedric little man over the Peaty little man any day. I think Cedric can do just about everything...he's my hero. Oh...sorry...this post was about piggyback shocks...my bad.:D

But seriously, MK's description pretty well nails it...more oil volume, and/or more air volume, more tuning features...it's a win/win deal for the few grams that piggyback weighs. On your 4X question, I'll throw out one other possible reason they're not on there...money.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,535 Posts
TNC said:
Juan, I'd take the Cedric little man over the Peaty little man any day. I think Cedric can do just about everything...he's my hero. Oh...sorry...this post was about piggyback shocks...my bad.:D

But seriously, MK's description pretty well nails it...more oil volume, and/or more air volume, more tuning features...it's a win/win deal for the few grams that piggyback weighs. On your 4X question, I'll throw out one other possible reason they're not on there...money.
And since there are so many incorrect responses in this thread, I need to reinforce that what TNC and MK are saying is correct. Mainly it's about increased oil flow and volume.

Most shocks have a reservior, but not all are apparent. With the romic shock it is in the body, think of the shock body as a cylinder within a cylinder, and that space is the reservior. Foes kind of works the same way.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
that is it.

Jayem said:
And since there are so many incorrect responses in this thread, I need to reinforce that what TNC and MK are saying is correct. Mainly it's about increased oil flow and volume.

Most shocks have a reservior, but not all are apparent. With the romic shock it is in the body, think of the shock body as a cylinder within a cylinder, and that space is the reservior. Foes kind of works the same way.
That boils it down nicely, eh? They all do for that matter, some are external, and are in place to allow for more tuing options, as well as increased oil flow, and so on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.