Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any good way to ease up to a spine without just going for it? Any good way to practice? For that matter, can someone just give me some good technique advice for spines? Thanks

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Lickqid said:
Is there any good way to ease up to a spine without just going for it? Any good way to practice? For that matter, can someone just give me some good technique advice for spines? Thanks
It's alot harder with big wheels than with 20's first off .
With bigger wheels you need to really get the cross air to nose dive down if you want to be able to get any pump out of the spine at all .
Easiest way is to get a bash sprocket and learn how to just bash over them , all you hve to do is ride up let your sprocket guard hit and kinda teeter tottor into the other side fulid motion helps makes this a bit easier , then once you get this move down you can learn to land with a bit of side ways motion and strat to learn how to do lip slides over the spine , that on the other hand is a completly differt story on the how too , more of a hold and hit it fast and hope for the best kinda motion wile leaning into the oppsite side to want to slide tward .

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you've got a spox (mix of spine/boxjump) to learn on, it'll help. Just go at it, not too fast. put your weight forward, whip your back end a little, and nose into it. The best way to learn is try it, fall, try again.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ojai Bicyclist said:
1) Bash it
2) Start to get smoother
3) Air it a bit
4) Whip it, whip it good.
by bash it you mean do what Brad was saying and just sort of hop onto it and slam the top with the bashguard, or just go low and case it a few times?

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
I did footplants on them to start out. When you finally go for it, try to keep yourself from pulling up like you are hitting a normal jump, you want to pull BACK, and get the front end DOWN. A bit of a whip to the side helps too. I'm still not too good at em, and sometimes my style is a bit unorthodox. :D

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Lickqid said:
by bash it you mean do what Brad was saying and just sort of hop onto it and slam the top with the bashguard, or just go low and case it a few times?
YEa I hope he means to just bash over the top lightly , if you put any real force into it your going to end up on your ass from sliding sideways .

If your going to air it you really need to whip it and get the nose down fast , good hint is to hit your rear brake in the air as soon as you want the front end to drop so when you whip it out grab some brake about 3/4 of the way through your whip right when your rear wheel start to come up over the top of the spine , you should be able to go over it pretty smoothly like this .

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evil4bc said:
YEa I hope he means to just bash over the top lightly , if you put any real force into it your going to end up on your ass from sliding sideways .

If your going to air it you really need to whip it and get the nose down fast , good hint is to hit your rear brake in the air as soon as you want the front end to drop so when you whip it out grab some brake about 3/4 of the way through your whip right when your rear wheel start to come up over the top of the spine , you should be able to go over it pretty smoothly like this .
I thought brake grabbing over jumps etc was a bad habbit?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Roll into the spine at an angle. dont go fast enough to get in the air and you will do as Evil4bc says.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I see spines as a combination ot 2 moves for beginners. First popping out onto the deck of a quarter, second doing a small bunny-hop as you drop into a quarter from the deck. The first gets you over the spine, the second teaches you how to get the front end down for the landing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.