Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to Moab next month to get a fix from the mid-west....

I came across this tire and thought this might be good for the environment out there, anyone have any experience on these or other suggestions for the ride?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=TI606A01

P.S. I plan on doing Slick Rock, Porcupine Rim, and Poison Spider among others.... Riding a GF Cake 3 Dlx, stock except XT derailuer.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Xao said:

P.S. I plan on doing Slick Rock, Porcupine Rim, and Poison Spider among others.... Riding a GF Cake 3 Dlx, stock except XT derailuer.
You do NOT want a semislick there. There is plenty of loose stuff, or sandy spots, even on slick rock.

Most of the nice, mid-sized "cross country" tires will work fine. Keep the pressure lower for traction and avoid cacti. I have had great experience there with WTB weirwolf 2.1, Schwalbe Ralph and Jimmy, Pythons.. and forgot what on rentals. What do youride now? Most likely it will work just fine.

Have fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Axe said:
You do NOT want a semislick there. There is plenty of loose stuff, or sandy spots, even on slick rock.

Most of the nice, mid-sized "cross country" tires will work fine. Keep the pressure lower for traction and avoid cacti. I have had great experience there with WTB weirwolf 2.1, Schwalbe Ralph and Jimmy, Pythons.. and forgot what on rentals. What do youride now? Most likely it will work just fine.

Have fun.
Currently riding the stock 'IRC Serac XC folding tires' on my GF Cake 3 DLX.

I'll take a look at the Weirwolf's, I've heard good things about them in the past and they are on $28 at Jenson.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
blue grooves and others

have been to moab quite a few times, most recently with vert protection 2.3's and geax sturdy 2.1's, both times running stans. no issues with any of the above from a performance standpoint. sturdy's a bit heavy-but totally bulletproof with excellent traction in loose, rocky terrain out there. going to use kenda blue groove 2.1's in october this year. still running and believing in stans. the extra traction derived from running large cross section tires at lower pressures is measurable benefit. have and like serac 2.1's but prefer a bigger tire for big country. have a good trip. hydrate/hydrate/hydrate!
Xao said:
Heading out to Moab next month to get a fix from the mid-west....

I came across this tire and thought this might be good for the environment out there, anyone have any experience on these or other suggestions for the ride?

·
Lone Wolf
164 Posts
Moab tires

I was wondering this same thing last year before I went and a local said that the 2.24 Mutanoraptor and motraptors are popular out there. We all ran Panaracer Fire XC pro's and they worked good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I posed that same question to a mechanic at Chile Pepper during one of my recent twice-annual pilgrimages to Moab.

He recommended NOT to buy new tires for Moab since the slickrock trashes 'em so much, but rather use an old pair of tires. So now when I go to Moab in the Spring, I'm using last year's tires. I then get new tires at the end of May, just in time for biking season in Colorado. By the end of the summer they're usually pretty worn and ready for my Fall Moab trip.

One pair of tires per year, whatever is the latest flavor, seems to work for me. I'm currently running 2.1 Seracs but will check out the hype on the Nevegal/Blue Groove combo next year.

·
Registered
456 Posts
1 good, 1 bad

I rode out there in May, and it was excellent. I had the Geax Sturdy 2.25 (UST) on the rear of my '03 NRS1. Excelent tire! Stuck well to everything and lots of volume to help my XC bike handle some drops. The front tire I rode was a Panaracer Fire 2.1 UST. Never again will I buy a Panaracer tire. No matter what pressure I rode, it was constantly burping air and its traction sucked. But, the Geax, now that was a good tire. Very soft compound, so it wore quickly, but it was great. I am going back in october, and I myeslf am debating going geax all around, or just sticking with the hutchinson pythons I have now. I'll probably go geax ......

·
Registered
255 Posts
...my tires got eaten...

slickrock trashes 'em.

Had a fairly new set when i rode in Moab. slickrock ate em for lunch, the tread was considerably worn. slickrock is like concrete, the traction was amazing. would recommend using older tires unless money is no object, and you just want new rubber.

a new set of tires is like having a fresh new ride again

·
Registered
17 Posts
fresh rubber

great thing about moab is that slickrock is far from the only place to ride-though it's always a good starter for a warm up for other rides. poison spider, porc rim, gold bar and various trails further up in the la salles require tires with some bite, especially descending loose stuff. over the years, the trails seem to have gotten a lot sandier, requiring tires that will float over without loss of traction. if you had an older set to 'give up' to slickrock, and a better set to ride the rest, might be a good bet. riding skills have a lot to do with how well tires seem to work as well. can never have enough tires to try out, eh?
rjheckler said:
slickrock trashes 'em.

Had a fairly new set when i rode in Moab. slickrock ate em for lunch, the tread was considerably worn. slickrock is like concrete, the traction was amazing. would recommend using older tires unless money is no object, and you just want new rubber.

a new set of tires is like having a fresh new ride again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.