Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
PokeyOne
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of paying for a rental and having to work on it for 45 minutes just to get it to shift and get the suspension set.

I've only got about $1200, and am 6' tall, 195lbs.
Recommendations for a good bike for Northstar.
TIA,
Gregory

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
There are tons of used freeride bikes on Craigslist or Ebay.
You can't get anything decent new for that price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
+1 to what he said. I picked up a nearly mint Iron Horse Sunday for $1,000 (needed bled brakes, a spoke nipple and tires, only a few scratches on the frame) and recently sold a Big Hit FSR for $480 (needing a full tune up). Now is a great time of year to be a buyer.

The first time I went out to N* they were renting the old Warp. They were really crummy bikes if I'm honest, but I still had a blast and was hooked. Doesn't take much to have a great time at N*!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Santa Cruz Bullit

All kinds of VP frees on pinkbike for under/around $1200 too.

You can probably find an SX trail for comparable prices.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
used reign x / ironhorse 7point / ih sunday all for around that cheap.

I rode an ih 7pt with a fox 40 in auburn and thought that bike would be fantastic at northstar!

·
PokeyOne
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a Demo 9 for a reasonable price.

Is that a bit of overkill?

I have spent some time on Boondocks, and it was hard work on the Giant rental. Don't think I have been on Dogbone and we avoided the ugly stuff on Karpiel. But my buddies are riding it on DH bike and I might start to follow them.

·
weekend worrier
562 Posts
ron m. said:
Would a newer Heckler do okay on N*?
A six-inch travel bike is fine for all of the single black diamond runs and the easier double blacks (Boondocks, Sticks and Stones, and Upper Karpiel), but I'd recommend a 170 or 180 mm of front travel for the more technical double blacks (Lower Karpiel, Dogbone).

·
Registered
913 Posts
bicyclemech1 said:
Tired of paying for a rental and having to work on it for 45 minutes just to get it to shift and get the suspension set.

I've only got about $1200, and am 6' tall, 195lbs.
Recommendations for a good bike for Northstar.
TIA,
Gregory
I've seen lots of older V10s going for $1000 or less on CL. I figure one of those would work well for ya.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
You could do it with a Heckler, but a Bullitt would be a better choice. Also, a Bit Hit would be a good inexpensive option.

You can ride most stuff at North* with a six inch travel bike, but mo' is better.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Entrenador said:
There's at least one Rocky Mountain that shows up on Chainlove pretty often -- $1500 or so.
It was just there yesterday. Various Kona bikes show up now and then too.
Keep an IE tab on Chainlove during the day.

·
Registered
767 Posts
get a used DH bike. Stay away from all mtn and double chain rings
Your will more fun if the bike has a low fork angle.
n* is hard on bikes, any bike could be ridden there
lots of people wont bring there all mtn bike
there because its too hard on the bikes

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
I'd try to find a bike locally vs. Pinkbike, ebay etc. My buddy purchased a few DH bikes from ebay & Pinkbike and they sure were beat despite the glowing ads.

·
PokeyOne
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm leaning towards DH.
I've come across some decent deals on Freeride stuff
Giant Faith
Kona Stinky Primo
I rode both the Faith and Sunday over the last couple seasons and I think my struggles had more to do with the size of my balls than the ability of the bike.
No such thing as overkill for N* sounds like good advice.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Northstar is fast enough, open enough, and rocky enough to shine with a big bike. Get a full on DH bike - nothing less then 180mm of travel f/r. Also, I don't get why people always describe sticks and stones as an easy trail/AM trail. The top is pretty flat, I agree, but there are steep twisty rocky sections that are way more fun to do fast on a DH bike then techy and slow on an AM bike. No idea why you would ever purposely underbike yourself at a resort.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts