Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be getting lots of flats these days. I need a bomber tire that can stand some abuse in rocky areas without having to run super high pressure. My kenda nevegal 2.35 sucks!

any thoughts?

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Kenda Nevegals are known for pretty weak sauce sidewalls. A 2.35? Is it the single-ply folding bead version?

Forget about that nonsense and put some real rubber on the bike.. any DH-casing Maxxis will do you well
2.5 Minion DHF / 2.5 High Roller - that's the usual bomber setup that you'll see a lot of guys running, and for a good reason.
In the past, i've been able to run that combo through a whole season of park riding without a single flat.

·
Not what you think...
42 Posts
Specialized Chunder. Maybe their replacement, the Butcher, but I haven't tried them. The Chunder feels stable and predictable, doesn't feel as though it distorts too much if used at low pressure (28-30) and is as useable in wet/dry dirt as it is on gravel/loose. It's not particularly good at shedding mud, although much depends on the type of mud.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Specialized Clutch yo.

Shed's mud if you're going fast enough and grips better on any loose surfase than the Chunder. It's strong at low pressures but still sticks to the ground when pumped (I run mine at 45 without problems).
It's got quite a bit of rolling resistance, if you care about such things, but you could always just use less brakes.

:headphones:
DJ

·
Registered
875 Posts
ABLACKCAR said:
Maxxis Minion 2.5 dhf & dhr ust...I fracking love em!!!
Don't forget about the Mobsters. Minions are almost like Mobsters, but a tad bit smaller.

I have Minions too, and love them. My friend Kenny has Mobsters, and loves them.

·
Banned
112 Posts
I use to be a Maxxis whore, but am running Schwables Big Betty up Front and Muddy Mary on the rear....best combo ever! I live in AZ and these withstand all rock abuse, plus the traction is incredible.

Give em a try....

Nevegals suck unless you are riding smooth non rocky dirt. I've never had so many pinch flats then on Nevegals.

·
Registered
54 Posts
rmb_mike said:
Don't forget about the Mobsters. Minions are almost like Mobsters, but a tad bit smaller.

I have Minions too, and love them. My friend Kenny has Mobsters, and loves them.
I'm about do for new skins, you know of a good spot to purchase mobsters on the interwebs???..I'll give em a shot...The Minions are just out of control tires though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

good advice, peace:thumbsup:

Anyone have any experience with continental. I saw a Trail king 2.4 that looked OK. Never ridden any conti though

·
Kid In The Helmet
206 Posts
Trail-Shredder said:
I use to be a Maxxis whore, but am running Schwables Big Betty up Front and Muddy Mary on the rear....best combo ever! I live in AZ and these withstand all rock abuse, plus the traction is incredible.

Give em a try....

Nevegals suck unless you are riding smooth non rocky dirt. I've never had so many pinch flats then on Nevegals.
I run the same setup, but in CO...love it. Big Betty up front Muddy Mary in the back.

·
Registered
270 Posts
the rental rig i rode at DIABLO had minion 2.5 on the front with a FOX 40 and the rear was a nevegal 2.5. my friend (on a rental rig as well same setup) said that the 2.5 minion front was too small he said he would run a 2.7 i thought it was ok. also the nevegal on the rear slipped out too much i found that the back end slid around on the service road when slowing down to enter a trail my bud had problems with this too. i run nevegals on my trail bike and i do just fine but then again i would never run 1.5s on DIABLO thats like putting a gun to your head

·
otb member
330 Posts
tahoegold said:
Anyone have any experience with continental.
I've been riding the Mountain King (2.4 up front, 2.2 Rear) on my RIP9 for a couple of seasons. I like that tire. (weeps tubless juice from the sidewall pretty bad though). Good trail bike tire, I wouldn't put in on my rig though.

I just put on a set of 2.7 DHF Minions on my V-10 (They were clearing them out for $19 ea on Jenson). I really like them. So much rubber to bounce around on. Primarily ride that bike at Northstar and Pacifica.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kenda Nevegal 2.5 and 2.7 DH casing wire bead stick-E. Heavier than maxxis but cheaper and just as sticky

Maxxis Minion 3C very predictable but, wears fast.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The Trail King (or Rubber queen as it was known last season) is a great all mountain to light DH tire. It's not a dual ply, so not a true DH tire. With that said, a smooth rider could easily get away with it for park or DH riding. For someone looking for a full on DH tire, the Der Kaiser would be the tire of choice in the Continental line. As far as performance, the newer Continentals rock, easily in the elite of tire manufacturers at the moment. The Black Chili Compound grips very well in all conditions and wears better than almost every other soft/tacky rubber out there. Definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
For what you are asking, there is no better tire than the Michelin Comp 32. Now called Wild Gripp'r Descent 2.6 (I hear the 2.5 version is actually a different tire, so do not get that one)

Run them tubeless with or without stans, and you will have no need to worry about tires for a while. Aside from the lame new names, they are faultless in harsh conditions.

·
Pee's in the H8teraid
420 Posts
Another vote for Specialized Clutch..Awsome tire front and rear.. Brakes great, has awsome side bite..Does roll a tad slow but I could give a Sh!t..
If you don't need a full DH tire the SX casing is sweet..
Chunder sucks IMO..

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Schwalbe muddy Marys and big Bettys.. guey. Gluey for Max traction and or true rear for longer life...

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
I ride in loose rock and I havn't found much that gives me the predictability of a Panaracer. Probably not the greatest for the mud but in the rocks they will always come back and don't have any dead spots in the tread. Some tires you really have to lean over to get on the side nobs but the Panaracer will ease you into it. Good wear rating and not a whole lot of rolling restaince.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
After being a die hard maxxis minion DHF 3c fan with a highroller 3c rear, I switched to specialized clutch font/R. After trying a chunder rear, I'm pretty sold on it for a rear tire. The clutch doesn't work so well in the rear, it brakes terribly and gives way a little to easy, but for a front tire, its amazing, and I strongly recommend the specialized clutch front and chunder rear.

·
Pee's in the H8teraid
420 Posts
William42 said:
After being a die hard maxxis minion DHF 3c fan with a highroller 3c rear, I switched to specialized clutch font/R. After trying a chunder rear, I'm pretty sold on it for a rear tire. The clutch doesn't work so well in the rear, it brakes terribly and gives way a little to easy, but for a front tire, its amazing, and I strongly recommend the specialized clutch front and chunder rear.
I've found the exact opposite..Clutch works great for me on both ends, braking included.
Chunder is a complete POS..
Hmmm. Crazy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts