Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have a pug (her choice) right now. And I say the next dog Im going to pick cause I want a dog I can take biking with me. What's a good breed that can take a little heat cause I am in VA? I have some good experience with training dogs, so I am not worried so much about that. I am leaning right now towards a german shephard, but wanted to get some input.

·
Registered
629 Posts
num1badz said:
My wife and I have a pug (her choice) right now. And I say the next dog Im going to pick cause I want a dog I can take biking with me. What's a good breed that can take a little heat cause I am in VA? I have some good experience with training dogs, so I am not worried so much about that. I am leaning right now towards a german shephard, but wanted to get some input.
Supposedly, german sheperds, collies, australian sheperds, and boxers are all good. I would go with an aussie because they are the smallest and wont be squished in tight spots. Never go with hunting dogs, hounds, or terriers, because they get distracted easily and might run off. Other dogs to avoid are the very large like mastiffs and great danes, they dont like running. Sadly, theres no hope for my bernese mountain dog puppy, as he cant walk in a straight line and doesnt do too well in heat.

Attachments

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
None.

num1badz said:
Let me qualify this. I'm not sure about VA, but in MA we have a leash law. Now in two of the parks I ride lots of people bring their dogs. Out of the hundreds of dogs I've come across only about two seemed perfectly trained. These dogs ran by the rider's side as if they were telepathically connected. In every other case the dogs run haphazard up and down trails and would only occasionally run near their masters. Now I love animals but I've been chased and challenged enough by aggressive dogs that the next time I will not take a chance on my safety and swerve. I'm going through. Next time I will not hope that I get away during the chase. I will kick or ride through.

I also have a gripe against dog poop on the trail, but dogs with leashes do this too. So I won't get into that.

---There was a time that I posted this exact same question (that you did). I was going to get a trail dog. But after having more experience with dogs on the trail, I decided against this.

If you decide to do this anyway, think long and hard about animal type. German Sheps are prone to hip problems. This will become an issue with a trail running dog. Also, stay away from foo-foo pure breds. There's lots of great dogs out there that need homes. Think about contacting your local animal rescue league (or similar organization).

·
Registered
214 Posts
None, I agree.

I don't really have any problem with hikers and leashed dogs. No big deal. I grew up with dogs, and I like dogs. Dogs just shouldn't be unleashed, though. No matter how friendly and harmless your dog may seem to you, some people will still be afraid of it. It's a fact, and you can't fault them. Unleashed dogs can and will run away and not come back. It happens all the time, and it's not fair to the dogs. Unleashed dogs like to follow people on bikes. Happended to me recently. For about a mile. Pain in the rear. So, I say if you want to ride, leave the dog at home.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
german sheppard - no way - hips...that being said i had a dog i rode with for years, and she was great, always stayed right behind me...she wouldn't run all out but would trot along i just had to wait at each intersection...you cannot run them too much though, if they do not know how to pace themselves some breed will actually run themselves to death trying to keep up.... a good friend of mine has an Australian sheppard that he took riding for many years, she was fast but never paced, to make a long story short, she now has had both her rear legs rebuilt (ACL i think) at $2k per leg and now one of her front legs is going bad....after watching all of that i would not bring a dog on any ride unless i knew it could pace itself and i would keep it very, very short with lots of rest in between...also when they are puppies they cant do too much either...good luck and be careful..

as for people who are afraid of dogs being off leash, get a grip, if you see a dog off a leash you can make the assumption that it is friendly 99.999% of the time, dogs get a bad deal, maybe we should all spend some time on a leash and see how it feels...they need to run just like we need to mtn bike..a walk on a leash doesnt cut it..

·
Registered
64 Posts
st. bernard

I'm taking a St. Bernard so when I have one of those massive head overs down hill I'll have the little first aid barrel that they carry on their collar :D just kidding. I heard that blue hellers are good. Good luck!

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Bs!

billybobzia said:
..as for people who are afraid of dogs being off leash, get a grip, if you see a dog off a leash you can make the assumption that it is friendly 99.999% of the time, dogs get a bad deal, maybe we should all spend some time on a leash and see how it feels...they need to run just like we need to mtn bike..a walk on a leash doesnt cut it..
BS. I'm not afraid of dogs (within reason), but #1) there's a leash law. And #2) No, I don't need to make any assumptions about a dogs temperament. I've had dogs come at me in an aggressive manner while the owner jogs up saying "oh, don't worry, she's harmless". I'm not going to assume that this dog that's acting aggressive is harmless and I'm not going to listen to the owner contrary to the dog's behavior. I will take action.

And then there's the dogs that are off the leash, and away from the owner when I'm bombing down a hill. I'm not going to chance my safety. If the dog doesn't get out of the way too bad. I've collided w/ trees trying to avoid these stupid beasts, but no more. If I hit these dogs it's the owners fault.

And I don't fault the dogs. It's the owner's responsibility to keep their dog on a leash. And I'm not going to be a victim just because the owner illegally decides to shrug this responsibility.

And guess what. I do love animals. However I regard my own safety over an unleashed dogs well being.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
not trying to cause controversy...i wouldn't take a dog off leash where there are bikes as i agree that is a dangerous situation...but i think you are a little paranoid about dogs and not all places have leash laws...what is helpful is that cities/towns are recognizing how many people have dogs and are creating off leash opportunities, but those that don't will always have the rebels who go off leash and i don't blame them one bit..

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
Locoman said:
And then there's the dogs that are off the leash, and away from the owner when I'm bombing down a hill. I'm not going to chance my safety. If the dog doesn't get out of the way too bad. I've collided w/ trees trying to avoid these stupid beasts, but no more. If I hit these dogs it's the owners fault.

if you are going so fast you cannot avoid hitting a dog how are you going to avoid hitting a person, maybe a child?? you shouldn't be "bombing" down multi-use trails in a manner like that so your just as guilty as the off leash dogs owners

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
dogs

dude,
Are you sure you really want to take your dog with you? there is a ton of responsibility tied with that dog that I personally would rather leave at home and concentrate on the ride. pretty much everywhere you go there is going to be leash laws, other dogs, other people and sometimes horses. My personal experience has been this: leave the dumb dog at home! I have an american staffordshire terrier (looks like a pitt bull) I have had him off leash while I ride and he would rather go and piss on all the trees in the forest than run along side with me. I have to constantly make an effort to talk to him and keep him running alongside me. he is a gentle dog and does not show agression to anyone or anything. but if you are a jogger and see a 50 pound "pitt bull" running off the leash you may be intimidated. ( especially if you are not a dog person) either way I have come to learn that we all share nature and the outdoors and I think just to be safe, keep the dog on a leash. I have tried to ride wile holding a leash and dog ....forget it. it sucked. my dog is obiedience trained and is continually in training, but I have to remind myself that its a terrier and for decades his kind has been bred for bull baiting and dog fighting its in his genes and all the training in the world can't stop him the day another dog looks at him funny and my dog does what is in his genes.
I just recently lost the dog while he was off the leash. the next day he was in the pound. it cost me about 240 bucks just to bail him out. think about that before you take him off the leash. I know there is some people out there who are thinking to themselves "well, my dog is more trained than that".... or "my dog is a little family dog" ....no matter how trained a dog is you should not forget that he is still a dog with dog instincts. I think the only place I would take my dog off the leash would be in the true wilderness, where there is less people. I have no doubt that my dog would try and defend me from a bear or lion.

·
artistic...
7,622 Posts
i ride on wood trails, not on parks and other places w/ leash laws etc.. where i ride, well it can be spooky sometimes so a dog makes a lot of sense. having said that, german shepperds are wonderfull in thhis kind of situation and i wish i had one. i have a springer spaniel, a retriever and yet he never misses his sights on me. the faster i ride, he is w/ me.. not a good guard dog though cause he loves everybody. but what a beautifull sight on the trails he is...

Attachments

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I know of a guy who had been riding for 10+ years and he's always along with his dogs... a couple of Alaskian Malamutes. It makes sense, those dogs are used to run long distances hauling huge weights... but he lives in Mexico city where weather is always cool. It wouldn't fit SoCal for sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with what alot of people are saying about dogs on the trail. I take my dog on occasion to only one place that has alot of creeks, no horses and you may run into a rider twice during the course of a ride. My dog is not a mean dog but I can deffinately see some one freaking out when a freindly dog just comes out of the trail and charges up to some one to get petted. I was bitten by a "freindly" poodle on the trail that "never bit anyone". It saw me and with out hesitation charged up and bit my ankle repeaditly. All that being said I think a border collie is where I would start for a "bike dog". I realise you didn't ask for a lecture but thats where this thread looks like its headed.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
I used to bring my border collie with me when I went out riding. But where I took her was an area she could keep up with me. Lotsa up and downs as anything long up or down or long flat sections I would have to wait for her. But I didnt mind waiting since I took her out on my easy day rides but also I should say she was always waiting for me at the top of the hill.

Take your dog to the park and try riding with her/him there and try to teach it some commands so it listens to you easier. Of course without any other dogs around to distract it. Trying to teach it to drink from the water bottle is nice too or bring a bowl and use that if there isnt any water sources along the trail.

I did run over my dog two times though early on when I started bringing her with me but she learned to listen to me better and just stay out of my way when on flats and downhills. I could control her pretty good too just by telling her to run faster or go behind me.

I know alot of ppl on here hate ppl that bring their dogs along but I loved bringing my dog with me, gave her good exercise too. Which some ppl actually thought it was a bad thing.
The thing I would agree with those kind of ppl though is when I see owners bring their dog on busy days or such.

Yea there is dog leash laws but how many people actually get that inforced on them? Usually by pricks or by dogs that should be on a leash and muzzle.

This might make all the anti bring-adog-along-haters happy.. I dont bring my dog along the trail anymore ( moved farther away from the trail ) But I do take her with me along the beach! :D

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.