Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good bike to buy for 6 and 9 year old boys? I want to start taking my sons out on rides with me and I don't think their Walmart specials are up to the task. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
swrider said:
What would be a good bike to buy for 6 and 9 year old boys? I want to start taking my sons out on rides with me and I don't think their Walmart specials are up to the task. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
(Click>) ALP-320K $299
SSINGA recently purchased an IBEX Alpine 320K for his son..
Maybe send him a Private Messages and get his personal opinion on this bike :thumbsup:

Jake

EDIT: Link to more info> That new bike smell

Attachments

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
swrider said:
Look for aluminum. Most of the kids steel bikes are way heavy. Besides Ibex, Specialized and Marin make aluminum kids bikes. I'm sure there are more.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I build a lot of bikes for kids... simpler is better

The Ibex would be perfect if it ran a rigid fork and had some modifications done to the drive to simplify it and expand the gearing range.

Why a rigid fork ?

Because it would make the bike lighter and riding a rigid really helps one develop better riding skills and an ability to pick better lines. The suspension forks on kid's bikes are more for show than go, add a lot of extra weight, and don't have a lot of controlled travel.

Running a 2 by 7 with an 11-34 in the rear would give some lower gearing and one could even go with a 1 by 7 if the single ring up front was the right size. Shifting gears causes a lot of consternation with a lot of riders (adults included) so a simpler drive makes sense there and not having to think about gearing helps one focus on the road / trail.

I ran a 1 by 7 on my old Trek before it became an SS and if I was to re-gear the bike I'd be going back to the simpler drive as a 32 with an 11-34 rear gave me all the range I needed.

If I was to buy a bike for my 9 year old daughter it would probbaly be doing some of the described mods to make her ride more like her dad's... a guy who feels that simpler is often better for everyone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just purchased a RockHopper for myself and my son has a crappy old Target bike as well. This weekend I"m going to go out and get him his own bike to ride with me, and I was looking at the HotRock as well. It looks like a great sturdy bike but I didn't test the weight yet. I know that my son did request the trigger shifters instead of the one that comes stock and I'm wondering if I should put some cheap disc breaks on his as well so he can stop quickly while we're going down hills.
As far as other bikes, I have no idea because there aren't too many around here for kids. All I can say is I'm absolutely happy with my Specialized. I'm not married to the brand, but I have been looking at other bikes on campus and there are a few that stick out.
The only guy with an Ibex bike is so so on it. He's as happy as anyone with their bikes I guess, but I have no idea if they make "kid" bikes.
So I'm in the same boat as you are, and the HotRock is the one I've looked at.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Konas are GREAT! I purchased a Specialized Hotrock for my son. He loves it. The 3rd outing we had we were up ankle deep in the mud going up steep trails up around a local great "mountain" of ours. Thumbs up! 100% happy!
Wife got a Rockhopper comp disc as well. Specialized is great quality.

·
Registered
248 Posts
One thing I have found to be a problem for such light young riders is a front suspension fork that actually works well for them. Many remain so stiff so they are basically just added weight. The suggestion of a rigid fork bike might not be a bad idea until the kids get a little heavier. For a young rider I would think a lighter bike for trail riding would keep them happier and more likely to keep at it. Heavy bikes may discourage them if they can not make it up hills. Also ease of shifting is also a big issue. Some say twist grip shifters are good for kids but my son hates them as he mis-shifts too often on trails. On the road he does okay with them though. I only have experiance with kids bikes from the department stores and Trek from a few years back so others may or may not have solved the fork issue. Best to take the kids to the bike shops and have them ride different bikes around and observe how they and the bikes work together.

·
Registered
59 Posts
After two weeks my son is doing great on his Hotrock. The shifting is fine but still harder than trigger shifters, but again his hands are too small anyawy. His fork helps out a bit especially when riding off of curbs etc. I've noticed him bouncing a bit off the rear end and am currently trying to teach him to pull a wheelie when going off.
My son will outgrow the bike in two years or so. It was a great investment.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I bought an Ibex 20 incher for my daughter's 7th birthday. She hasn't rode it yet, but I have built it and am very impressed. :thumbsup:

Frame: aluminum, nice welds, nice paint (if you like lime green :eek: ). Replaceable derailleur hanger. :thumbsup:

Fork: 20 inch forks are terrible, but I was sorta impressed with this one. It felt very softly sprung, and just might work off road. Much nicer than the steel crap on Huffy's. :madman:

Wheels: Dual alloy quick release hubs :thumbsup: , aluminum rims, pretty good stuff.

Componets: Just like you find on an entry level bike. Good stuff, shimano 21 speeds, short cranks, aheadset, metal pedals (not plastic).

It's a very, very good bike for $335 shipped. Light (compared to competition), quality and replaceable components, good standover, even the seat is padded and small in size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.