Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin for a good all around 7" travel freeride bike. I'm looking into doin some bigger jumps and maybe start tricking, but I still really like downhilling. I would prefer high travel, and a single crown fork, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd also like to keep it as cheap as possible, because I may have to sell my current DH if it gets $1500+(ish)
I'm currently looking at:
Santa Cruz bullit: $999 (1st choice because of price)
giant faith
spec. Big Hit
Spec. SXT (I think that's what it's called)

the SXT thing is my 1st choice as far as the bike. Anywho give me all opinions please!

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Specialized SX Trail is a really well designed bike that does most everything well. A full on DH rig will do better at full on DH. A slopestyle rig will jump and throw tricks easier. An XC rig will pedal better. However, the SXT will do anything and everything you ask it to do. I do not know where you ride, but on the Shore and at Whistler I'd got with an SXT any day.

The Bullit is a dependable, affordable workhorse of a frame that can be set up to jump really well because of the single pivot design. Also an excellent FR bike. The angles are a bit steep for DH, but with a taller fork, no problem.

Assuming a good SC fork, like a Totem or even a Domain, I'd rank the frames like this:
SXT
Bullit
Faith
Big Hit

There are other options out there as well. Tons in fact. The Reign X comes to mind almost right away.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Faith and big hit are almost out of it. I ride dh at northstar. I like technical stuff but I don't fly through it at record speeds, I would say I'm average at it.
What do you mean when you say the angles are too steep? And what are some taller forks? It comes with a 7" travel fork. I wouldn't go dual crown so what's the tallest single crown fork?

·
Registered
764 Posts
When I say "taller" I'm talking about the axle to crown (AC) measurement. Longer travel forks are (obviously) usually taller, but not always. The Mazocchi 66 from a few years back was a 6" fork with taller AC than the 8" 888 of that year.

The Totem is pretty tall (more or less the same as a Boxxer).

When I say the angles are too steep, I mean the head angle of the bike is higher than is ideal. The Bullit, for example, has a 67* HA. The SXT is maybe a degree slacker. Most DH bikes these days are around 64* - 65*, and some of the world cup guys are going as low as 61*. A slacker HA pushes the front wheel that much further out in front and makes the bike more stable at speed and more controllable in steep sections. It also slows down the steering, which is not always a good thing for a FR bike. For a FR bike, I prefer something in the 65*-66* range, but 67* is entirely workable.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allright so HA won't affect DH too much will it? I understand what that is now.

Is there anyway to slacken HA? Or just a taller fork?

·
Registered
630 Posts
My buddies ride Reign Xs and I have Norco Shore. If you don't mind a bit of extra weight and don't need to pedal much the Shore is a really fun freeride bike, especially if you're on a bit of a budget. The Reign X will pedal better for sure, but for going down the hill, jumping, etc. both my buddies and I prefer the Shore. The SXT seems somewhat similar to the Shore (at least relative to other bikes on the list) although the only one I rode was an '08 for a few minutes. I'd personally pick SXT or Shore out of the list so far.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the single pivot on the bullit affect anything? Is it that big of a difference?

My iPod can't run norcos website so how much do new shores cost? Looks like s nice bike.

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Dude, definitely go with the SX-Trail

The newer ones have awesome geometry and will shred the jumps as well as the downhill.... it'd be perfect for what you're looking for

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will the price of the old sxt drop when the new ones come out and what are the priced on the new ones going to be?

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
I have the old style SX-Trail and don't get me wrong it's awesome but the geo is not quite up to par with the newer ones.

Try Cragislist/Ridemonkey/Pinkbike classifieds for the older 2007-2009 Sx-Tails and never buy anything without seeing it in person.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Moosey said:
Allright so HA won't affect DH too much will it? I understand what that is now.

Is there anyway to slacken HA? Or just a taller fork?
Yes, there is a way: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=627664

BUT, it means running a 1 1/8 steerer tube on the fork, which is not ideal for the riding you plan on doing. So I would think this is not a brilliant option (unless you move up to a dual corwn fork which you explicitly said you won't be).

Just throwing my current ride in the mix: Morewood Zuza. Pretty much fits your description 100%. I use mine as a do-it-all, running a Boxxer, gives me a good compromise between FR and DH performance (with pedalling coming in a distant 3rd..."performance" would not be a word I associate with "pedalling" this frame, at least not with my build... :D ). Specifically it's also a lot of fun jumping and hitting drops on this bike.

Price will be an issue though if you stick to the budget indicated below.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
Have a look for a a pre 2010 Knolly Delirium frame.
Adustable headangle and wheelbase. Frames are at the top of your price range but the the bike will take anything you throw at it and it pedals well to boot.

michael

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Knolly is a truly sick bike. Amazing in just about every regard (including the extent of the sticker shock! Drop N Zone has 2009 frames on clearout for $1999). There are tons of people riding Norco's around here, and a Shore or a Six would suit you well.

The Single pivot design of the Bullit will have specific riding characteristics, like any suspension design will. Single pivot bikes tend to pop well off jumps and have super predictable travel. They can stiffen up under braking, which means you can't drag your brakes. It will force you to learn to brake correctly. In my experience, single pivots generally don't like being ridden as plow bikes as much as other designs do. IMO that is a good thing as you still have to pick lines and ride the bike rather than just going along for the ride. It will be very easy to maintain, since there is only one pivot and no linkage. It won't be the best pedaling bike in the world, but with a decent shock, I doubt you will notice. (I currently ride a linkage driven single pivot bike and I think it pedals better than my friend's Shore, which is a 4-bar FSR design). With very few exceptions, all suspended bikes pedal like crap compared to a hard tail. You get used to it pretty quickly and it becomes a non-issue.

·
Registered
764 Posts
NorwegianRepresentative said:
Transition Dirtbag is a pretty sick frame. I am currently building one up with a 160mm u-turn Domain on it.
Only they are not being made any more. Good frame though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts