Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a tyre that I can use at the Leadville Trail 100. "They" say the course isn't too technical, just gravel roads/double track with some ruts. So to all you guys who have been into this 29er thing longer than I've been riding what's a good race tyre that will have a sufficiently strong sidewall to handle and rocks, yet weigh and roll fairly well. I've seen the MAXXIS Ignitor's and they look like they'd hold pretty good, yet still roll quite good. Any other ideas?

Sorry if this is an almost identical question to the other thread started a couple hours ago, I din't see it before I posted this. Also wanted to say that I want to stick to a MTB type tyre as I'm not at all familiar with what the "residents" call smooth or not technical just in case.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I have used Ignitors in conditions like you have just described and they have been great.
just got hold of some Karma's that also look like a great tyre for those sort of conditions.

G

·
to tell the truth, i still think my Exiwolfs are some of the best tires for the 29er.

Ignitors corner better, without losing too much to rolling resistance.

Nevegals are slower, but they GRIP.

If I were riding the leadville i would probably go with Kharmas. Although I would LOVE to try out the SB8's, unfortunately they are not gonna be readily available for a while it seems.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
In such dry condition, the NoTubes Crow may offer enough offroadability, with unrivaled speed. I'd use it in the back. A Specialized Fast Trak as a front has served me well when I just didn't know what tire to pick, but was sure I didn't want to gamble for too slow a tire. Similar speed to a Nano, lower or similar weight, better volume and more dependable and predictable grip. Just a screamer on pavement. I've not use the FT/Crow combo yet, but can think of conditions where I would have wished the option to use the Crow prior to it's release.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies.........

.......and suggestions, I will take a look at all those tyres and see how they look and what they weigh. Don't want to go to weight weenie with them, but don't want any 700g tyres either. I had no clue except the Ignitor, Nevegal, SMB8 & Rampage for 29er tyres.

That's the thing and why I don't want to go all out super, duper slickish type tyre. From reports it seems that up in the mountains they ofter get afternoon rain, so the course could get abit damp to very wet and I want something with knobs to helps grip on that stuff. Definitely want something with big edge knobs for corninering.

Cloxxki said:
In such dry condition,............

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would choose the Nanoraptors for the Leadville 100. on the gravelroads and few singletrack-sections the Nanoraptor gives some width, rolls fast and is lightweight. Even when the stuff gets wet, it is still more than good. I did the race on my 26incher instead of my SS 29-er. I would think using the crows means taking some risk, but I might be wrong. I saw at least of couple of those last year.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
LyNx said:
.......and suggestions, I will take a look at all those tyres and see how they look and what they weigh. Don't want to go to weight weenie with them, but don't want any 700g tyres either. I had no clue except the Ignitor, Nevegal, SMB8 & Rampage for 29er tyres.

That's the thing and why I don't want to go all out super, duper slickish type tyre. From reports it seems that up in the mountains they ofter get afternoon rain, so the course could get abit damp to very wet and I want something with knobs to helps grip on that stuff. Definitely want something with big edge knobs for corninering.
Search the threads to see what others have run at the Leadville on their 29"ers. Nanoraptors, Crows, Karma 1.9's, Ignitors, Little Alberts, XR 2.25 up front and a 1.8 in the rear, ACX's - all seem reasonable choices if the course is really that much fireroad. If you search around, you should be able to find some Nanoraptors closer to the 600 gram per tire weight. If you don't search around, you'll get a pair that are closer to the 700 gram weight. They roll very well and provide enough grip. Crows grip surprisingly well and weigh around 500 grams. Karma 1.9's are around 500 - 525grams and give more grip, yet roll quite well. Lots of choices for you. I would think going for the least amount of rolling resistance would be a welcome relief at that distance.

BB

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Good fast 29" tires, in approximate order of slowest to fastest:
- Maxxis Ignitor.
- Bonty Jones XR.
- Kenda Karma.
- WTB Nano.
- Stans The Crow.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks again..........

......Seems the Nano is a popular tyre choice when fast rolling is wanted/needed, however I don't seem to like the look of it - the side knobs aren't very prominent. I have been browsing around the online stores and found some WTB Exi Wolf Race that look like they would roll quite well, yet have nice, high side knobs for that extra cornering confidence.

As they say it's better to have equipment you feel confident with and can ride hard with that have stuff that you're just not 100% sure about and sadly getting to see and feel any of these tyres in my hands makes for an expensive outlay of cash and tyres sitting around that I maybe don't like. I think right now it would be between the Exi's and the Ignitors buying blind and once I actually get to CO. then try what I have and see how it feels

Attachments

·
hispanic mechanic
2,701 Posts
For whatever my opinion is worth...

I have a bunch of miles on both, and I found that the Ignitor seems to roll faster than the Exi, and I just plain trust it more as an all around tire choice.
Betwixt the two, I'd choose the Ignitor over the Exi for just about anything.

Los

·
Registered
19,070 Posts
LyNx said:
......Seems the Nano is a popular tyre choice when fast rolling is wanted/needed, however I don't seem to like the look of it - the side knobs aren't very prominent. I have been browsing around the online stores and found some WTB Exi Wolf Race that look like they would roll quite well, yet have nice, high side knobs for that extra cornering confidence.

As they say it's better to have equipment you feel confident with and can ride hard with that have stuff that you're just not 100% sure about and sadly getting to see and feel any of these tyres in my hands makes for an expensive outlay of cash and tyres sitting around that I maybe don't like. I think right now it would be between the Exi's and the Ignitors buying blind and once I actually get to CO. then try what I have and see how it feels
You're going to pick an Exi over a Nano for a fast-rolling tire??? Did you compare weights???

If you want a big, cushy tire that also corners well and rolls fast (enough) then I like the Specialized Resolution. FWIW, I am 100% confident cornering on the Nanos. My local terrain is not terribly rocky though, so I can do without huge volume.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Didn't say for sure, but it just looks like it could handfle rougher stuff if need be and some mud if it rains. As I said I can't get any of these tyres in my hands to see the actual tread in person or feel the weight or even try them on somene's bike, I have to guess. I think I'm going to guess along the lines of the Ignitors though as my initial 29er all round tyre and then when I get up to CO start looking at stuff in the 2 weeks before the race.
Nat said:
You're going to pick an Exi over a Nano for a fast-rolling tire??? Did you compare weights???

If you want a big, cushy tire that also corners well and rolls fast (enough) then I like the Specialized Resolution. FWIW, I am 100% confident cornering on the Nanos. My local terrain is not terribly rocky though, so I can do without huge volume.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.