Politically Incorrect
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29 + 29 + 20 = Big Boy Fun!

"Dad - why do you always have your bike on your car?"
"Well, son, I carry it to the trail to go mountain biking?"
"Dad - when are you going to carry me to the trail?"

....ouch.... :(

So, this afternoon about 3:30, my 5 year old son and I headed out for an adventure. We got home and went through the "checklist"...

"Helmets?"
"CHECK!"
"Camelbaks?"
"CHECK!"
"Are we forgetting anything Thomas??"
"NOPE, LET'S GO!!!!"
"What about our bikes?"
"Oh yeah...."
(He was so excited....)

We drove about 7 miles to the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC. They've got a variety of trails from beginners to advanced. It's my local trail and I've put many a mile on my bike out there. I had never been on the double-track, access trails and was quite pleased that it made the trails "do-able" for us. We were able to ride from the parking area all the way to the other end of the trail system (to the top of toilet bowl - for you locals).

"How ya' doin', Thomas?"
"GREAT, DAD!"
"Which way you wanna go Thomas?"
"LET'S GO THAT WAY!"
"Okay, but you gotta help pedal"
"OKAY, DAD - I WILL"

He sat when we were in the smooth sections and stood when we were in the rough sections. I did hit one section of single track and was about 150 feet into the trail when I remembered how wide the trail-a-bike bars are. I made sure to take the turns a bit wider from then on. ;)

After about an hour of riding, I realized just how low the sun was getting so we headed back to the car. It was great fun!

"LET'S DO THAT AGAIN, DAD!!!"
"Okay, son - anytime!"

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
All my sons started out on trail a bike set ups like the one you are rockin. dont be afraid to try some of the beginner trails with it. We rode intermediate single track with no mishaps. Just had to coach him to lift his legs when I was crossing the logs and just let the trail a bike bottom out and a scrape over the log. Mines actually had a huge cro moly beam sitting right below the cranks.

As well, it was great training for me pulling an extra 70lbs and learning to time the corners tandem style.

Awesome stuff!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Kewl...........

motoenth said:
29 + 29 + 20 = Big Boy Fun!

"Dad - why do you always have your bike on your car?"
"Well, son, I carry it to the trail to go mountain biking?"
"Dad - when are you going to carry me to the trail?"

....ouch.... :(

So, this afternoon about 3:30, my 5 year old son and I headed out for an adventure. We got home and went through the "checklist"...

"Helmets?"
"CHECK!"
"Camelbaks?"
"CHECK!"
"Are we forgetting anything Thomas??"
"NOPE, LET'S GO!!!!"
"What about our bikes?"
"Oh yeah...."
(He was so excited....)

We drove about 7 miles to the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC. They've got a variety of trails from beginners to advanced. It's my local trail and I've put many a mile on my bike out there. I had never been on the double-track, access trails and was quite pleased that it made the trails "do-able" for us. We were able to ride from the parking area all the way to the other end of the trail system (to the top of toilet bowl - for you locals).

"How ya' doin', Thomas?"
"GREAT, DAD!"
"Which way you wanna go Thomas?"
"LET'S GO THAT WAY!"
"Okay, but you gotta help pedal"
"OKAY, DAD - I WILL"

He sat when we were in the smooth sections and stood when we were in the rough sections. I did hit one section of single track and was about 150 feet into the trail when I remembered how wide the trail-a-bike bars are. I made sure to take the turns a bit wider from then on. ;)

After about an hour of riding, I realized just how low the sun was getting so we headed back to the car. It was great fun!

"LET'S DO THAT AGAIN, DAD!!!"
"Okay, son - anytime!"
love that smile on his face.:thumbsup: You should think about getting him a 20" IBEX. Here is my 6 year old (got the bike for his 5th b-day).

Keep him riding!!!!

Attachments

·
2,811 Posts
Great thread!

29x29 x 12x12 is us.

little 2melow is barely 3 and riding off road with me on some of the more tame trails. Here he is in his element...I can't seem to get any shots of him from the front he's always moving so fast. Here are some from last weekend.

It's funny to see people's reactions when we roll up to people....
"wait - your son just turned three and he's already riding offroad"
me - "yea, you should see him jump curbs in our cul-de-sac"
"holy crap!"

He's so good on this little bike I'm seriously thinking about a Yamaha PW50 to get him started early on moto's too.

It's real fun....but's it's actually hard for me to go out on a ride by myself. He's at the age where he really doesn't understand (read:has a breakdown) so I've been doing super early rides on the weekend before he wakes up or night rides after he goes to sleep.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
2melow said:
He's so good on this little bike I'm seriously thinking about a Yamaha PW50 to get him started early on moto's too.
That is a very slippery slope......2melow2 is looking as good on the pedal bike as he was on that kick model! He'll be kicking your ass before you know it at this rate:eekster:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Wow, that's one lucky dad!

2melow, why would a dad want a son to get in touch wth motorbikes before adulthood?

Does the trail-a-bike not need a front fender, for dirt coming off the 29" tire? Wouldn't you wish they came with larger wheels, to ease the trail for the yound stoker a little bit? And, narrower swept bars, of course. :)

·
Politically Incorrect
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the kind words! After our ride, I realized we could very easily make this a regular, weekly event. I'm gonna do my best.

Thanks for sharing your pics as well.

DEEZEE: Got any advice for Santa on getting a 20" IBEX down the chimney? :D

2MELOW: I hear what you're saying about the PW50. I understand the temptation as well. You only need to utter "Ricky Carmichael", "James Stewart", etc., etc. to explain. However, I have a business partner who grew up racing motocross. Each and every weekend he was in another state. At sixteen, he competed in a race in Florida and finished second behind Carmichael. The dude was incredibly fast on a bike and could've made a truckload of money racing. But he hung it up at 19 'cause he got so burnt out on it. He's found he loves working on computers so much more. Your son will find his own passion.

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
great story! now you better watch out or he's gonna want to ride every day, and on saturdays you'll be flying without that 70lbs of training weight:thumbsup:

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Motoenth - great ride. Never thought of taking my daughter to catawba, but towed her around the main loop at beatty many times on the trail-a-bike.

Now that she's riding on her own she's hesitant on the trails so I'm scouting out some easy loops on the local trails - ways to bypass the more technical sections. Found that at McAlpine you can hit the bike paths for the most part and then venture up into the woods on the trails - short little sections of singetrack mixed in - and nice scenery. Pretty cool - on those rides we've seen deer on one ride and a pretty big black snake on another.

Once she's more confident we'll head for tighter singletrack. Great to see her make progress with each ride, but trying to be careful not to push too hard. Kids are funny - they can be quick to turn off to something if they feel weird about it so I'm trying to take her out when she wants to go and not pressure too much.

·
Politically Incorrect
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mcd said:
great story! now you better watch out or he's gonna want to ride every day, and on saturdays you'll be flying without that 70lbs of training weight:thumbsup:
That's for sure!! :)
The climb up the access road from the bottom of Goat Hill (it was included in the Cowbell Challenge race) was TOUGH!
Also, when we got back to the car, I disconnected the trail-a-bike and reset my seatpost height. I pedaled around to check the height and couldn't believe how easy it was.

sthrnfat - thanks for the heads up on the other trails. When Thomas is ready to ride on his own, I'm not sure that even the access trails at Catawba will be appropriate. Sounds like McAlpine may be the place to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.