Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 302 Posts

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Through out history both individuals and groups have fallen into the trap of thinking their own opinions are so right, so superior - that anyone who disagrees is subhuman.

Once the opposition is no longer worthy of consideration, any and all actions needed to defeat them are on the table.

If you ever find yourself in a position where your opposition isn't worthy of basic human kindness, it may be time to check yourself.
Very good post. It is very true, of him and of many others... Reading his Disqus page (just skimming headlines basically) makes it clear that he has gone that far. All mountain bikers are evil, sent here by Satan to destroy God's creation. Or something like that.

It really makes you wonder... Even if he were totally correct in his assumptions, wouldn't you expect him to at least accept that some mountain bikers ride out or ignorance and not malicious intent? If he accepted that viewpoint he could even try to dissuade mountain bikers from riding, rather than seemingly trying to bring on an off-road cyclist genocide like he seems to be attempting.

Are signatures searchable? Maybe we should all put his name in our signatures so every post pops up in his searches? This thread just rekindled my desire to mess with that guy... Not so much because of his hate for us, but more just because he's clearly unstable and takes himself way too seriously. :)

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,325 Posts
Very good post. It is very true, of him and of many others... Reading his Disqus page (just skimming headlines basically) makes it clear that he has gone that far. All mountain bikers are evil, sent here by Satan to destroy God's creation. Or something like that.

It really makes you wonder... Even if he were totally correct in his assumptions, wouldn't you expect him to at least accept that some mountain bikers ride out or ignorance and not malicious intent? If he accepted that viewpoint he could even try to dissuade mountain bikers from riding, rather than seemingly trying to bring on an off-road cyclist genocide like he seems to be attempting.

Are signatures searchable? Maybe we should all put his name in our signatures so every post pops up in his searches? This thread just rekindled my desire to mess with that guy... Not so much because of his hate for us, but more just because he's clearly unstable and takes himself way too seriously. :)
Yes, signatures are searchable.

·
Registered
528 Posts
When you spend a lifetime trying to validate your claims, it is hard to give up and admit you were wrong... so you just keep doing what you know:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.mountain-bike
LOL. He's still trolling alt.mountain-bike? I remember his spewed garbage from 15 years ago.

If there hadn't been actual physical encounters with him by various members of the mtb community, I would almost think that he wasn't a real person - just a cleverly written internet trolling program.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,325 Posts
I like yours... But I'm not linking his page. You know that the more links to his page that exist on the interwebs the further up on the page he is when people use a search engine. Don't help him out.
Got it. I removed the link. And now he's got 5,370 posts on mtbr to read up on!

·
Autonomous
214 Posts
Even kayaking and rafting, which give humans access to the entirety of a water body, prevent the wildlife that live there from making full use of their habitat, and should not be allowed

Now I don't feel so 'singled out". He's gone off on kayakers as well!
If only I could just float over the ground and never touch a thing. Sigh...

·
Registered
59 Posts
But that was not the example you used. While that is an understandable City of Berkeley leftist opinion, it has nothing to do with mountain biking. All sorts of people ride.
You seem biased in your categorizing of the sustaining of negativity by Fox News as a leftist opinion. Negativity is negativity and it should never be condoned. The argument that Obama is not a citizen is ludicrous and should be condemned by all fair thinkers, Republicans and Democrats alike. The comeback that MSNBC engages in negatism and should also be reviled is no justification for the specific Fox News stories that sustain negatism.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,204 Posts
Even if he were totally correct in his assumptions, wouldn't you expect him to at least accept that some mountain bikers ride out or ignorance and not malicious intent? If he accepted that viewpoint he could even try to dissuade mountain bikers from riding, rather than seemingly trying to bring on an off-road cyclist genocide like he seems to be attempting.
In MV's world, ALL mountain bikers (and all police now apparently, after having been on trial) are liars, just by virtue of having ridden a mountain bike (kids, grandma, etc.) and therefore anything that any one of us says is a lie. He will always think he is correct, as everything we say to counter his argument is not true. Pretty airtight "logic" happening in his worldview. Don't even try. Unless you like being turned into Brer Rabbit vs. the ********.

Reactions: shekky

·
Autonomous
214 Posts
He deserves a special place in the Marin MTB Hall of Fame. Could you imagine how much that would bother him?! (And I'm not talking about putting some sort of plaque on a toilet bowl).[/QUOTE]

^^^THIS is a brilliant suggestion!:thumbsup:

·
hilarious
210 Posts
Mike Vandeman Siting!

He used to be just a legend to me -- until I actually saw him! I innocuously stumbled into him at a conference at UC Berkeley about science and the National Parks. He was presenting his "work" at the poster session. I read his abstract (but did not put his name to the legend) and thought it would be an interesting thing to check out. Whoo! I was in for a surprise!

When I finally figured out who he was I said, "Oh! You're famous!" and he smiled and said, "Yes". He was pretty low-key. I didn't really engage in any discussion but I did ask him if I could take a photo of his poster presentation, as I had never seen anything like it, and he let me. It had magazine pictures that looked like they were from the 80s. It was the nuttiest "science" poster I have ever seen. It was a little sad -- they had him stuck down in the basement of the building we were in.

Then I saw him at several talks during the conference. I just had to take a few photos -- a little weird, I know. But I was in awe! He is so weird!

mv_3.jpg mv_4.jpg mv_1.jpg mv_2.jpg

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
Naw, roadkill's more fun. It's like feeding a rabid hamster sunflower seeds, sooner or later you're gonna get bit and regret even letting yourself be near it.

41 - 60 of 302 Posts