Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I laced up a WTB LaserDisc Lite Rear hub to a Mavic Open Pro rim using DT Swiss Revolution spokes double butted 15/17 guage. I started with even tension about 50 Kgf. Trued the wheel laterally and radially. Then I started adding tension, by a quarter turn at a time. After each go round, the wheel was substantially out of true, and it added less than 5 Kgf, but tension was still even, so I retrued. did this a couple times. I guess because of the thin spokes, each round of tensioning was adding hardly any tension (I measured with a tensiometer). I then tightened each nipple a full turn. although tension still was not even up to 100 Kgf, the rim became waaaaay out of true, such that I'm not even sure I'll be able to true it, much less keep even tension.:madman: Did I just use too thin of spokes? Never had this problem before with 14/15 guage spokes. Special trick to using thinner spokes?

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, I released some of the tension and was able to retrue the wheel. has a tension of about 85-90 Kgf. I am surprised that tension is still fairly uniform, so I guess the rim is still ok. I'll try another quarter turn. I've read that acceptable spoke tension is between 80-120 Kgf; I like to have it at the higher end. at a quarter turn at a time, it will take forever to get up near 120, but I guess that's how it has to go.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice Rubber Lizard. I will try that tomorrow. It's really late here now! I wasn't getting much farther, so I just detensioned the wheel before I read your reply, and there was a ton of windup in the spokes. At least the rim still lined up well with another new one, so the rim wasn't bent out of shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.