Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
What am I gonna do?

Judging from the amount of use that bike has seen, I am probably not going to worry to much that these cops ride enough to be in good enough shape to catch anybody. I bet that cop kept a stash of donuts in the trunk bag.

Seriously, is that NOS?

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bikerboy said:
What am I gonna do?

Judging from the amount of use that bike has seen, I am probably not going to worry to much that these cops ride enough to be in good enough shape to catch anybody. I bet that cop kept a stash of donuts in the trunk bag.

Seriously, is that NOS?
Salisbury is a nearby town and one of the officers rode quite a bit and wanted to start a bike patrol. His chief told him he could do it if he wanted to but the department wasn't going to buy the equipment. The officer traded in his Cannondale road bike on the Police bike. The chief wouldn't let him use it very often and wasn't too keen on the whole idea so it didn't get ridden very often. The officer finally gave up and came back to the shop and traded the police bike back in on another road bike. That explains the condition!

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
First Flight said:
Salisbury is a nearby town and one of the officers rode quite a bit and wanted to start a bike patrol. His chief told him he could do it if he wanted to but the department wasn't going to buy the equipment. The officer traded in his Cannondale road bike on the Police bike. The chief wouldn't let him use it very often and wasn't too keen on the whole idea so it didn't get ridden very often. The officer finally gave up and came back to the shop and traded the police bike back in on another road bike. That explains the condition!
Interesting story. In Austin, I have seem some cycle patrol officers on some interesting rides, indicating to me that they have to buy their own equipment. I was driving downtown one day and saw a cop pedaling down the street on an OCLV Trek hardtail with carbon rigid fork. It had all the police stuff attached to it and he was in uniform, so I know it wasn't just a cyclist police officer riding home.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
That's cool. Atlanta PD has bike patrols, or at least they did while I was living there. There was pretty serious competition to fills spot on the patrol, and the officers in my zone were pretty fit and gunghoo about it.

·
Visitor
781 Posts
I remember when the Seattle PD started their MTB patrol downtown. When I was younger and could go out drinking until 3am I would see them running around Pioneer Square rousting the homeless, etc.). Most of them were pretty cool and were into our pub bikes (mine a Funk, at the time) asking questions about our after-market parts, and such. Some of them were pretty strong riders. Do they still have them there Stan?

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
hairstream said:
I remember when the Seattle PD started their MTB patrol downtown. When I was younger and could go out drinking until 3am I would see them running around Pioneer Square rousting the homeless, etc.). Most of them were pretty cool and were into our pub bikes (mine a Funk, at the time) asking questions about our after-market parts, and such. Some of them were pretty strong riders. Do they still have them there Stan?
They do, it's a pretty integral part of the SPD. All of them I've talked to are pretty cool and really like their jobs. They're pretty darn efficient too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow I worked for a lbs years ago and ive built a few of the exact bike in the early 90s. that model was called the chill. It had a DX grupo which broke super fast. Raleigh later upgraded to a rock shock elastamer fork threadless stem and LX grupo. There was also a Nisiki ds version which later turned into the m9000 or m8000. I made them for the Santa Barbara and Solvang PD. I have a autographed pichure of John Tomac sitting on one of those boxed up at my parents house!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.