Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally i would title this .. "Christmas improvements to the bike" but since this year sucked economically and i was broke until i got gift cards and money from the in laws it will have to be as is.

Basically for the new year i improved all body-to-bike contacts in one way or another.

For starters i replaced my Sette Ergo2 grips with Ergon GC2's. I am always getting numb hands and fingers on long rides. Tested them out yesterday on a good 20 miler and so far the ergons have performed wonderfully. They really give me a better sense of control while climbing due to the adjustable mini bar ends. I did not like the Sette Ergo's because they always felt like they were slipping. These are a clamp style grip which feel much more solid while riding.

Next, i replaced my WTB Speed V saddle that came stock on my 08' Moto Phantom Comp. with a Sette Evo saddle (with titanium rails). Immediately felt the difference. I feel like my sit bones are right where they are supposed to be, where as with the Speed V i always felt like i was always searching for the right position. The new saddle coupled with a new pair of Canari mountain bike shorts i am sure to have a much more comfortable ride.

Lastly, i purchased a pair of Shimano SH-MT32L Mtn Shoes. I was sporting the Sette Enduros from pricepoint for the last year and a half and they are very worn! These Shimanos rock! They feel very comfortable but yet very solid. They look great and could be worn casually pre or post ride if necessary. They are easy to walk in also.

In addition to my body-to-bike contact improvement i recieved a new camelback (your basic 70 oz setup), a shock pump, a regular mini pump for my pack, 3 new tubes, a ton of hammer gel, and a LED bike light for those warm summer night rides.

So whats everyone else improving for 2010?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
upgrading the cheap, no-name, 25" bars on my vagrant... going from black shitty bars to white Spank Spike 777s!
uhhhhh, i keep checking on UPS tracking... they departed from Vernon CA at 1:44 AM today... ordered them on sunday, they're supposed to be here on the 4th

·
Registered
697 Posts
Got my Spec. SX hooked up with some Formula 'The One' brakes with Goodridge lines. Boom, I am so excited. Also got a Thomson Masterpiece Post and Schwalbe Big Betty's. We'll see how they do on the East Coast Gnar.

·
Registered
293 Posts
New rear shock, converted from Marz Roco air 3PL to a Fox RP2. Plus I've swapped the saddle out for a lighter number too. WTB Pure to a Charge Knife. Oh and managed to get a fantastic deal on a pair of Crank Bros Acids too.

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
I just got a new Monkeylite DH bar and some new ESI grips in blue to match my fork. I sorta miss the Ergon GA1 grips I used to run, but the locking clamps on those aren't compatible with the carbon. Oh well...

I've been thinking hard about getting an adjustable seatpost, but I'm just not convinced it's worth the hassle. The last thing I need is another part that needs frequent servicing. I'm perfectly happy riding tech trails with my saddle fixed in a compromise position between proper pedalling height and slammed all the way down. If I find one for cheap on ebay or something, I may try it. Otherwise, probably not.

Other than a shorter stem, 50mm from 70mm, all my planned bike purchases are replacements of normal wear-and-tear items. Rear derailleur, chains, cassette, brake pads, etc. There really isn't a whole lot I can do to upgrade my bike. It's pretty much exactly how I want it now.

I can't say the same for my gear though. I've decided that I should be wearing a FF and knee pads at minimum for my normal rides. The Deviant and 661 KS look perfect for that. I'll also probably get a core saver, arm protection, and shin/knee armor for my more aggressive rides. I haven't had a bad spill yet, but it seems pretty dumb to wait until I'm all busted up to get safety gear approprite for how I ride.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well I just got my Thomson Elite SeatPost for my 08 Pitch Comp on this morning (Pictures in Pitch thread in Specialized fourm)
Im ordering a Thomson Elite X4 Stem Tomarrow, After that im going to start saving my money for new Mavic Crosslines. Then finally im going to try to pick up a DHX Air for park riding this summer then maybe a Lyrik later in the summer to fall. Thats all the main things im going to try and upgrade in 2010 but i would also like to get a Race Face Atlas FR bars and a Selle Italia Trans Am saddle.
I guess I kinda broke the rules by saying all the upgrades im doing all year :)

·
Yayer!
185 Posts
Putting my bike together and riding it...its been a long 5 months of hoarding parts under my bench at work. Last few parts are in the mail and then its done. Build looks like so:

'06 Turner RFX in British Racing Green
Race Face Diabolus cranks w/ Dangerboy bashguard
Pig Pro headset
Syncros Gain riser bar w/ Oury lock ons
Fox Talas 36 RC2 (fresh rebuild by yours truly)
Fox Van R rear (going to PUSH for MX Tune and compression add)
Hadley's laced to DT EX5.1D, supercomp spokes, XTR cassette, Conti Rubber Queens
Wippermann Connex chain
Hayes Stoker Trails w/ Goodrich line upgrade
XT derailleurs and shifters
Tioga Spyder D pedals
Brooks Swift saddle and Thomson setback seatpost
Hope seatpost clamp

So yeah....I'm sick of talking about it and just want to ride it! :cornut:

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
my easton ea30 bars are going to sunline v1's 711mm x 19mm rise
easton vice am 100mm stem to a truvativ stylo 60mm
generic platforms to crank bro's egg beater's
took of the big ring and am running a 32/22 with an e13 ds guide
wtb pure v to wtb shadow progel
shimano something or other shoes
wtb grips to sunline lock-on's
race face chainstay protector
ummm, i think thats it planing on a float r and maybe some new tires, basically trying to make my bike stronger while still keeping it strong (dropped 2 pounds so its going well)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.