Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Not A Zaskar

Probably an Avalanche?

The Zaskar would have a flat end piece on the extended toptube.
IMHO a Zaskar isn't anything to get too excited about anyway.

You can't beat a $39 frame regardless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rumpfy said:
Decals put it in the....91-93 range I think.


No 'i' in Allterra.
OK so its either a zaskar or an avalanche AL from 91 to 93? I guess I can be sure once I get it and check the back of the top tube. It is hard to tell whether its rounded in the pic. Either way, it should make a good hard tail. Were the dimensions and angles the same for the Avalanche AL and Zaskars? Was the only difference the wieght and quality and location of construction?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rumpfy said:
No 'i' in Allterra.
I know, thats what the seller listed it as!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
That frame looks /really/ close to my 1994 Zaskar, although the decals are slightly different. Also my top tube part at the end of the frame is flat, not rounded like that.

Except for the top tube end, it could be a twin for mine. Same flat on the chain stay at the rear hanger, top tube bracket for the rear brake cable (it routed through a plastic tube, no rear housing), same gusset under the top tube/head tube, same Mavic stay protector.

If it's not a Zaskar, GT went to great lengths to make it looklike one. Anyway, I'd put it in the 1992-1994 era.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DaveInDenver said:
That frame looks /really/ close to my 1994 Zaskar, although the decals are slightly different. Also my top tube part at the end of the frame is flat, not rounded like that.

Except for the top tube end, it could be a twin for mine. Same flat on the chain stay at the rear hanger, top tube bracket for the rear brake cable (it routed through a plastic tube, no rear housing), same gusset under the top tube/head tube, same Mavic stay protector.

If it's not a Zaskar, GT went to great lengths to make it looklike one. Anyway, I'd put it in the 1992-1994 era.

Thanks. It even seems to have evidence that the same zaskar sticker that you have on your top tube was there at one point. (you have to look carefully at the pictures). By the way that is a sweet Zaskar. Maybe I will join the club soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Iron horseman said:
Thanks. It even seems to have evidence that the same zaskar sticker that you have on your top tube was there at one point. (you have to look carefully at the pictures). By the way that is a sweet Zaskar. Maybe I will join the club soon!
Thanks, I've had it since day one when I worked in a shop and bought it through GT. I do see the sticker evidence. BTW, the eBay listing said 1-1/4" headset and 27.2mm seat post. It's really 1-1/8 headset and my frame originally had a 27.0mm GT post. But a 27.2 Ringle Moby post fit mine fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went and loked at my 92 pantera. It has the flat back to the extended top tube with the GT imprint eaxctly like a zaskar, but no replaceable deraileur hanger, and different drop out welds, details. So Zaskars aren't the only GT AL with the flat back. Does anyone have a pic of an avalanche AL from that era? Are the gussets, welds, etc that similar to the zaskar?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
I asked when it was listed and it's got the curved end cap on the top tube meaning it's definitely not a Zaskar and probably an Avalanche. Whats the Serial number. Bet it starts with an H. Taiwan Hodaka built probably. Can't be a 91 because GT's first Aluminum was the Zaskar in 92, right? 92 Avalanche was steel. The first Avalanche out of aluminum was the Avalanche AL from 1993 but it was painted so this is likely a 94 or newer. Although it could also be a Pantera, Backwoods or Tempest frame because they were all sold in a ball burnished or polished finish at one time or another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
gm1230126 said:
this is likely a 94 or newer. Although it could also be a Pantera, Backwoods or Tempest frame because they were all sold in a ball burnished or polished finish at one time or another.
It's got the 2-bolt der hanger so it can't be newer than 95. I'd say 94-95 by the decals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Look at pictures on top tube in the picture, where the sticker was removed. Looks like Zaskar to me! I saw that frame (and received a chuckle)...nice score!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I laughed at the "allteria" listing! I wonder if it was an attempt to act like he didnt know what he had or something and someone put a zaskar sticker on there years ago?? Who knows. When I get it I'll weigh it and post the Serial Number. Either way, I think it was a decent score!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Some '94 Zaskar details. Notice the serial number (I obscured a few of the numbers, should be 7 digits) and frame size stamped in the non-drive side rear dropout. Mine had a sticker that said 'Troy Bilt' on the bottom bracket, but it has since come off. My guess is yours is a 1993 and depending on the serial number situation, either a Zaskar or an Avalanche.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool of you to take those pics! I really hope its a Zaskar b/c that is what I really want. Those pics should help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, its not a zaskar. It has the rounded back of the top tube, and is stamped 7005 on the drop out. However, it is a dead ringer as far as the design, dropouts, etc. as the above Zaskar. So, i'll be building it up and enjoying it until I come across a true Zaskar or a ti hardtail frame. I'll post pics when I'm done.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top