Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Im a noob to the mechanic scene. I traded an old FS Schwinn for a hardtail a while back and it came with this fork: (5 pictures in all)

It's a Marsocchi Bomber but I cannot determine the year or trim model beyond that. The problem is that when I get on my bike the fork sinks over halfway through the length of travel and is far too soft. It feels like it would bottom out under even the most gentle riding. From what I understand I need to replace the oil or the springs inside the shock (not sure exactly what type of suspension system this is) but I haven't been able to find an owners manual or maintenance guide online because I don't know the year/trim model. I have tried googling all of the information on the fork to try and narrow it down but so far have been unsuccessful. Can any of you tell from the pictures what year it might be? And beyond that, any tips or things i simple mistakes I should know to avoid while servicing the fork? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
That is a 2000 Marzocchi Z2 Xfly. It is a full open bath air sprung fork with an old school orifice type rebound damper with no compression damping circuit. You'll need a shock pump to adjust the spring rate, no coil springs in the fork, it's air sprung. But you'll also need a pump adapter to attach to the air valve. The older Zocchs didn't use a standard valve for the air spring. So you'll have to dig around to find the adapter, I haven't seen one available for a long time, but they are still out there. The fork came stock with 7.5w Golden Spectro fork oil installed, and that's usually the best stuff to use for in them. You will need exactly 60ml of oil for each leg. This can be fudged a bit up or down to make the fork more progressive or linear depending on you tastes, but the ends of the pumping rods must remain fully submerged in oil when the fork is at full extension or you damper will not work properly. As far as a service guide goes, Marzocchi was and is prone to separate service guides for their forks. The owner's manual won't do you much good in that respect, and is pretty vague even as to fork model as they tended to use a single manual to cover all of their forks for a given model year back then. Plus they were usually written in 5 or 6 different languages as well as English so you really had to jump around in them to find any useful information that you could understand.

I would try contacting Marzocchi USA and seeing what they can dig up for you in the way of a service guide, they aren't easy to come by. The Z2 Xfly was a pretty simple fork and they were easy enough to work on, but you did have to do things right with them.

As far as mistakes and tips. DO NOT EVER remove the v-brake posts form the fork and try and ride it. The the lowers consisted of a two piece assembly, the brake arch and the lower legs. They were held together by the v-brake posts. If you wanted to remove them to run disc brakes, a bolt set was available to replace them with. Removing the brake posts without replacing them with the bolt set will cause the lower legs to loosen and separate from the brake arch. Not a good thing.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts