Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Transplant
Joined
·
880 Posts
Wow good catch XSL!

Markleo, what is the serial number stamped underneath the BB shell? Looks like definetley a repaint if not a knockoff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ekoostick said:
Wow good catch XSL!

Markleo, what is the serial number stamped underneath the BB shell? Looks like definetley a repaint if not a knockoff.
I will have a look on the frame. What is a knockoff? A fake? Thanks.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
Markleo said:
Thanks a lot for telling me. How can you tell they are backwards?
The arms are pointing the wrong direction. And if you look at the rotor there should be letters on the rotor facing away from the hub (and usually a direction arrow). If you look at the rotor the way it is now... the letters are facing into the rotor.

It's definitely a repaint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XSL_WiLL said:
The arms are pointing the wrong direction. And if you look at the rotor there should be letters on the rotor facing away from the hub (and usually a direction arrow). If you look at the rotor the way it is now... the letters are facing into the rotor.

It's definitely a repaint.
Thanks a lot. It also puzzles me that the cable bosses are at the bottom of the top tube. On Konas they are usually at the top. Unless it is an older model.
 

·
Transplant
Joined
·
880 Posts
Markleo said:
Thanks a lot. It also puzzles me that the cable bosses are at the bottom of the top tube. On Konas they are usually at the top. Unless it is an older model.
That is what gave it away for me also. It wouldn't be too old though because it has disc brake tabs so I would say 2002-2003 would be the oldest. I believe that fork is from 2003-2004 so I would check the Kona lineups from those years and see which bike it most ressembles. Also what does the sticker say on the seat tube? Does it refer to the type of aluminum used?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ekoostick said:
That is what gave it away for me also. It wouldn't be too old though because it has disc brake tabs so I would say 2002-2003 would be the oldest. I believe that fork is from 2003-2004 so I would check the Kona lineups from those years and see which bike it most ressembles. Also what does the sticker say on the seat tube? Does it refer to the type of aluminum used?
the sticker says kinesis double butted
 

·
igoslo
Joined
·
971 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you read more carefully it is not the same question. I ve actually asked the seller of the frame, which I bought online, for decals so I would know the brand and he 's sent me those. Then I wanted to find out the model but it looks the decals are not this frame's from what I see on the posts. I guess I will never find out which bike it is.
 

·
Transplant
Joined
·
880 Posts
Yeah looking at the pictures of the frame unbuilt up, it definetley looks like some kind of mail order bike. Ibex, Motobecane or Fetish. Unless you got it for free, you probably overpaid.

And in regards to your last post, yeah it basically is the same question and I am done answering it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ekoostick said:
And in regards to your last post, yeah it basically is the same question and I am done answering it.
Actually first I was asking what frame it is. Then I thought of asking the seller to send me the stickers of the brand. He sends me Kona stickers. So after that I asked the Kona forum what Kona model it is as I thought it was a Kona. it came out it is not. Anyway, i guess you don't have to answer my questions if they bother you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Markleo said:
...Then I thought of asking the seller to send me the stickers of the brand. He sends me Kona stickers...
Why not just ask the seller what frame he claims it is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
I think it's a statistic.

Or at least that's what you'll be if you ride that thing.
Treyrider's right! ( weak, dangerous welds!)
Solo's right too!
I pitty the fool you sell it to.:nono:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,408 Posts
could be a newer schwinn moab when they sold out to pacific. they have s stays like that. it also resembles an older specialized stumpjumper, but specialized doesnt have brutal welds like that.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top