Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My guess is that it is a 1989 Tange MTB tubing (triple butted), internally routed rear brake cable, semi-horizontal dropouts, with 1'' threaded headset, eh, 15'' or 14.5'' frame? My fork couldn't take a modern 2.1 wide tires - how's yours? Also a biotch to find any decent replacement forks due to headtube designed to take JIS 1'' headset (be careful with this replacement as JIS 1'' isn't the same as "standard" 1'').

EDIT - oh you now posted, it's an '88 frame, probably '88 model year too. I think it's Jan?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow,year88!!:thumbsup: Thanks for your info!!

My fork couldn't take a modern 2.1 wide tires - how's yours?
I guess, with the fork, mine has the same clearlance for tires.
So, Do you think the 2.0 tires is the max for the fork???

I heard that some of old GT was made in Japan.. so was mine too??

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Nice find full ridgit!.....Per the serial number it's a 1988 model year Karakoram in what was then called "Cracked" paint. Tange double butted tubing with the Purple and pink Tange decal.

Blue lettering highlights on the catalog page include:
-Tange double butted tubing
-Ritchey Force 2.0 Tires
-Deore Rear Der., Deore Biopace Crank, Deore U-brake
-16.5" chainstays
-Araya RM20 alloy rims with GMG finish
-Full Chromoly fork with round/oval/round blades
-GT All Terra Chromoly stem with internal roller
-Stainless Steel sleeve for rear brake internal routing

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the image!! :)
I really like the "Cracked" paint. There is somethin' about 80's bike.

I think i might get 2 .0 Tires as in the katalouge shown.
Though, I am not sure Slick or Semi Block Tires.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
As for tires, I was trying to stuff a large casing tires - bad choice. So any standard tires less than 2.1 should fit ok. It's just that I only had a hair space between tire treads and fork column, that it made contact from the fork flex upon cranking hard. Biopace looks just fun.

I don't know for sure but Toyo made Team Avalanche but not anything lower. I thought "T" in the serial number was Toyo but then Toyo build frame seem to have different type of serial numbers and BB shell. I've asked them repeatedly what year and makes that they produced in the late 80s but they've been blowing me off. Oh well.

I was going to suggest a strip and repaint. Did it managed to fade or it's using different shade of grays?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might try to contact Toyo about my Karakoram.

I did little gray shade paint and drew cracking pattern with a bush.
I have not finished it yet.

I will definitely keep the cracking paint alive :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hmm, let us know how your conversation with Toyo goes. They seem to be much more into road bikes and custom frames.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hatake said:
Hmm, let us know how your conversation with Toyo goes. They seem to be much more into road bikes and custom frames.
I got a message from Toyo. I am disappointed the way they reply...

They said " If you bought the bike in Japan, it is made in Japan." (period...)

:eek:

oh well, it doesn't matter where it was built, I will enjoy my GT restoration.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Sounds like a standard Japanese runaround and somehow that doesn't surprise me:)

Yeah enjoy the bike, it's a classic rider, any way you look at it. I'm shocked that it doesn't look all that rusted in your pic, for it is in Japan. It would make a fine commuter too.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Diggin this up from the dead. Yes, that is an 88, and yes it is made in Japan. I have the same bike, bought it new, only in red, the other color offered that year. I wanted the black crackled paint so bad, but no lbs had one in stock so I settled. Great bike, good luck with it, and whatever you do, don't re-paint it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts