Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting this frame for the financee for our anniversary this year. She bought me two light systems over the past years, so I figured I'd encourage her to bike with me more. I took her onto some rocky trails last time, and she was saying it was a bit sketchy. I guess buying some skills is sort of nice :)

With ESTXs, I know the older models had a weak point with the suspension pivot weld. Does this frame have that weakness? Besides the pivot weld, is there anything in particular I should check for?

Thanks!

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Looks like a 2006. They were available in the green/white and shadow grey/white.

If there's a problem it would be around the pivot welds on the seat tube. Likely less chance of a problem on a small frame size.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I always loved that paint job and was pissed they offered it after I got my 2005. The good news is the 2006 rears feel a lot stiffer. Thumbs up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, 2006, had it, loved it. I did end up breaking it but not in the typical location. I would say buy it as I got 2 good years of hard riding on it. Mine was an XL and I agree the smaller frame should be more durable.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips! I've got a Reba on my financee's bike right now. If I left the rear travel on 4.5", would the Reba be a pretty good fit?

Thanks!

Ming

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
macming said:
Thanks for the tips! I've got a Reba on my financee's bike right now. If I left the rear travel on 4.5", would the Reba be a pretty good fit?

Thanks!

Ming
Reba is typically a 100mm fork, unless you have the Reba u-turn or you open up the fork and change it to 115mm travel. I have a Reba on my Jamis Dakar and its perfect for that bike, but it would not be a good choice for the ETSX as the head angle will be all screwed up with such a short AtoC fork. The ETSX geometry is really setup for a 130-140mm fork. You could probably get a way with a 120mm fork but (IMHO) anything less is going to not going to feel right at all.

By the way, I love that paint scheme too... definitely one of the nicer looking combos.

As far as being worried about cracking welds on the seat tube. Just make sure you're buying from a Rocky Dealer so that you have a warranty. Not saying you're going to need it, but as someone on his 4th ETSX frame, its a distinct possibility.

Karl

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying the frame. It was in the condition as shown in the pictures. Overall, I'm really happy with the purchase.

I had the Reba upconverted to 115mm, and now the bike looks about right :)

Quick question. On the top tube, the channel in the middle is larger than the shifter housing cables. I ran the rear disc brake hose through the middle of the top tube, but there isn't anything to secure the cable to! How I can secure the cable?

I'll post some pictures when I take the gf out for a ride this weekend :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rockyuphill said:
If it looks like this you can buy some Jagwire C clips or just use zipties
They look like this though. I don't see a gap underneath to wrap anything around the cable.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Ah yes, those sleeve retainers...

http://www.jagwireusa.com/index.php/products/mountain/484

down in the section called Stoppers and Loop guides.

My Brodie frame has those as well. A pain in the butt to install with larger hose and hard to keep in place with smaller hose.

In the interim you can pull the hose one direction about 3/4" and wrap those two spots with enough electrical tape to make them a snug fit and pull it back through again.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rockyuphill said:
Ah yes, those sleeve retainers...

http://www.jagwireusa.com/index.php/products/mountain/484

down in the section called Stoppers and Loop guides.

My Brodie frame has those as well. A pain in the butt to install with larger hose and hard to keep in place with smaller hose.

In the interim you can pull the hose one direction about 3/4" and wrap those two spots with enough electrical tape to make them a snug fit and pull it back through again.
I know I can always count on you for good advice :) I'll call the shop today to see if they have any spacer in. I vaguely remembered the spacers after I posted that picture.

Thanks!

Ming

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update with some pictures. My GF is always complaining about how heavy this bike is. I guess if she keeps on riding,
I may pick up a carbon Ebay hardtail for her next year. I don't think there is any part on this bike that is ridiculously
heavy, besides the frame. I think the whole bike is only around 28 pounds, but for a 120 pound rider, it is a lot.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
You could get it down to 26 to 26.5 pounds with changes to wheels, tires, saddle, brakes, fork.

I think that wheelset is about 1850gms, so an BWW Alex Pro rim wheelset would be about 1500gms, so that would be 3/4 of a pound there.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rockyuphill said:
You could get it down to 26 to 26.5 pounds with changes to wheels, tires, saddle, brakes, fork.

I think that wheelset is about 1850gms, so an BWW Alex Pro rim wheelset would be about 1500gms, so that would be 3/4 of a pound there.
The wheelset is a DT Swiss 240s w/ 4.1d rims. I thought it was around 1540. I can be wrong though, I should really find a scale to weigh it :)

The Bontrager Revolt X are aroudn 550 grams, I think they are one of the lightest tubeless ready tires out there.

I agree there is a LOT of weight to be lost on the saddle, I got that one for her hardtail. Girls and their comfort saddles ;)

If she keeps on riding, I think she may really prefer a hardtail. A lot of girls do for weight reasons. I think I'd try to build something light then.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
How much fork travel?

I see the Reba on the front as discussed earlier in this thread. It doesn't look too bad from a geometry point of view, what travel is it set to? How does your GF find the feel of the bike (other than heavy) with that fork? I had a TALAS on my ETSX which could be set on the fly to 100,120 and 140mm of travel. It was generally OK if I set it to 120, but if I dropped it down to 100 the bike had a heavy bogged down feeling, almost like biking through mud. So basically the 100mm setting was only useful for those big uphill climbs and nothing else. Now this was on a 19" frame so perhaps the effect would not be as pronounced on a smaller frame.

Karl

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
macming said:
The wheelset is a DT Swiss 240s w/ 4.1d rims. I thought it was around 1540. I can be wrong though, I should really find a scale to weigh it :)
I was trying to read the parts, they looked like the DT XC1850 wheels or whatever that PN was, but that would be lighter with 240's.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rockyuphill said:
I was trying to read the parts, they looked like the DT XC1850 wheels or whatever that PN was, but that would be lighter with 240's.
Sorry, I really didn't post good pictures to make out parts #s :) I'm just going to encourage her to ride more often. Maybe one day she'll be on a carbon vertex! (Assuming they're good with their warranties and such).

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kwarwick said:
I see the Reba on the front as discussed earlier in this thread. It doesn't look too bad from a geometry point of view, what travel is it set to? How does your GF find the feel of the bike (other than heavy) with that fork? I had a TALAS on my ETSX which could be set on the fly to 100,120 and 140mm of travel. It was generally OK if I set it to 120, but if I dropped it down to 100 the bike had a heavy bogged down feeling, almost like biking through mud. So basically the 100mm setting was only useful for those big uphill climbs and nothing else. Now this was on a 19" frame so perhaps the effect would not be as pronounced on a smaller frame.

Karl
To be honest, I don't think she could tell the difference. I have the fork set to the air pressure recommended on Rockshox's website, and at the pressure, she says it feels pretty plush. But on most rides, she'd be lucky to use 3" of travel.

I have it set at 115mm, and had an oil change done at the same time. So far I think the bike turns really well, and the little bit I rode it, it feels like it pedals really well. With the back set at 5"s, I think it's a very balanced ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts