Duct Tape Master
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
i_heart_macgyver said:
Hey all,

I am looking at this Ellsworth Truth on ebay and I am trying to determine the year of the frame (the seller doesn't seem to know the exact year):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290455104869&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If anyone can help out, it would be much appreciated. Also, any input on this ebay item would be a help as well (since I am thinking about bidding on it). Thanks,

-Brian
Dewd save your $$$

That rig is nearly 10 years old. Definatley 2000/01.
I'll bet the suspension is shot. Bearings are toast. Bottle bracket is smoked. An for christ sake it has V brakes.
Lastly, I will bet my left testie that there is a crack somwhere on that frame. Sheeeet I'll bet both testies.
Don't do it.

·
Wandering, but not lost
75 Posts
It does look to be around a 2000 vintage, since it looks like it has bushings rather than bearings on the suspension linkage. Not sure, but I think Ells switched to bearings soon after. I've read both ways as to which is better. I think Turner still uses bushings. Fairly easy to service anyway. I'm still riding my 2000 Truth, still love it, no frame problems, but then I ride it as a XC machine and don't beat the crap out of it. Should you bid on it? Depends, this was a premo machine 10 yrs ago, now somewhat dated technology, but if you're coming from riding nothing, or some junker, could be a cheap way to get a decent bike. Ebay is always a crap shoot though.

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
Buying any used Ellsworth is always questionable- buying one you cant get a good look at before you commit is very questionable (notice the no return policy), buying a nearly 10 year old truth (these are the ones that had all the problems) is a bold leap of faith indeed.
If I was you I would try craigs list or MTBR and try to buy locally so you can at least see the bike and meet the seller.
10 years of barely being used for cross country is very different to 10 years of all mountain abuse- hard to make that judgement over the phone or computer.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
matthew said:
Buying any used Ellsworth is always questionable- buying one you cant get a good look at before you commit is very questionable (notice the no return policy), buying a nearly 10 year old truth (these are the ones that had all the problems) is a bold leap of faith indeed.
If I was you I would try craigs list or MTBR and try to buy locally so you can at least see the bike and meet the seller.
10 years of barely being used for cross country is very different to 10 years of all mountain abuse- hard to make that judgement over the phone or computer.
This was the year before all the ones that had the issues. It's a 99 or 00. My friend bought an 01 and it had bearings and a different shock linkage.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Definitely pre 2001. It's a bushing bike. With that Rocker and parts, I'm guessing 2000.

But it's the design that got Ellsworth where they are. People raved about that frame back then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts