Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions.

1) I just bought a used Trek 930 for a commuter and trail bike. It is magents (purplish-pink) with black decals. I can't for the life of me figure out what year it is. The serial number is no help. Any ideas.

2) The only thing I have found that even sounds like it might be my bike is the 1993 Trek 930 SHX which is supposed to be electric plum with black decals (according to vintage-trek). Question is; what is the difference between the SHX and the regural singletrack, and did the SHX say "SHX" anywhere on the bike? (mine does not)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
UWPaul said:
Two questions.

1) I just bought a used Trek 930 for a commuter and trail bike. It is magents (purplish-pink) with black decals. I can't for the life of me figure out what year it is. The serial number is no help. Any ideas.

2) The only thing I have found that even sounds like it might be my bike is the 1993 Trek 930 SHX which is supposed to be electric plum with black decals (according to vintage-trek). Question is; what is the difference between the SHX and the regural singletrack, and did the SHX say "SHX" anywhere on the bike? (mine does not)

Thanks
there's also scans of the trek catalogs on that vintage trek site, as well a few here
http://mtb-kataloge.de/
by looking at the catalogs, SHX seemed to be the models that came w/ suspension. so, these are mildly suspension corrected geometry, I'd suspect.
I was able to find the year of my old 750 by the serials number database at vintage-trek and then looking in the catalogs to confirm.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Shx

UWPaul said:
Two questions.

Thanks
SHX stood for "shocks"
I had that bike. It came in two versions, the 930, and 930 SHX. Made in 1993...so your bike is from 1993.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have this exact bike that I picked up last summer at a pawn shop. At the time I wanted something different that my Schwinn High Sierra SS and I liked the lugged steel frame so I grabbed it. The shock is junk and the components are the lower end stuff so I swapped on a rigid fork and my full m737 XT stuff and I have been riding it without any trouble since. I don't really care for the pink - but my white tires really make it pop!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
junk

Dhorn33 said:
I have this exact bike that I picked up last summer at a pawn shop. At the time I wanted something different that my Schwinn High Sierra SS and I liked the lugged steel frame so I grabbed it. The shock is junk and the components are the lower end stuff so I swapped on a rigid fork and my full m737 XT stuff and I have been riding it without any trouble since. I don't really care for the pink - but my white tires really make it pop!
Yes, that fork and most of the parts were junk, but that's what kept the price at about $400 in '93.

I rode mine so hard and dirty...That's the bike I started mountain bike racing with. Swapped the fork for a better one, and I evolved it into something else with different parts.

Eventually, at a bike race, I went over the bars and dented the top tube rather bad. 4 years later, I gave it to a buddy to ride around. I miss it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.