Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
I remember seeing them for the first time on Nicholas Voulloiuz' (sp?) DH bike. Must have been 94 or 95. Shimano gave prototypes to the DHers first and felt that they were too powerful for consumer bikes. :)

Shimano released them in 96. Although when did the Marinovative Cheap Trick brakes come out? And the IRD Switchback is a basically a V brake with a creative way to pull the cable. Both of those were out long before SHimano's version.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Shimano XT's were offered in 96. They had a special employee shop deal to get the brake/shifter lever combo and both brakes and cables. I still have my set and the original box. People didn't like them because they squealed a lot. Mine never really did, and I still use them to this day.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew the other aftermarket brake answers would show up in this thread, that's why I specifically asked when Avid and Shimano V brakes entered the market. Yeah F-B, the pros are usually the test pilots for new tech before they're put into the market place. I got a pair of M737 pedals that I used on last weeks Steven's Canyon vintage ride, before they were released. I got them through a connection and they're still going strong after 18-19 years.

·
Registered
273 Posts
YETIFIED said:
I knew the other aftermarket brake answers would show up in this thread, that's why I specifically asked when Avid and Shimano V brakes entered the market.
It was more a note for the other people who seemed to be wondering.

Well, I remember getting tossed over the bars doing nose wheelies when I was testing my buddies XT v-brakes during a ride in Santa Cruz. I moved out of SC in '95 so it must have been '95 or earlier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.