Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that there was a particular year that the brain was upgraded significantly to offer either the traditional 'epic' ride, or a ride more FSR/stumpy - like.
thx-c

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
My 04 S-Works Epic has a rebound adjustment + a bump threshold dial.

...not sure what you mean by traditional 'epic" ride, mine rides mostly like a hardtail, but when it gets rough the Brain soaks up most of the trail.

i think the 05's Brains have 100mm of travel (over my measley 70mm) - which would match the forks & be alot better balanced.

·
Registered
262 Posts
thats odd,maybe this change happened on the s works models only.my 03 and a buddies 03 s works epic have the sensativity adjuster.but it was my understanding that these are late model 03changes ...being the same as 04 shock.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The brain IQ with threshold adjustment came out in 04 but was only on the higher end models. All 05's had them. In 06' they came out with the brain fade which adjusts the amount of platfrom when the brain is not activated. It is a significant improvement. In 07' they put the AFR shock on Marathon and higher models. All 08's have them. In my opinion it was a minor improvement. The biggest improvement was in 06' with the brain fade.

·
Registered
388 Posts
yes, the "Brain fade" became available on the '06 line of Epics. I've had the '03 Brain also and the '06 with brain Fade is the one to get at minimum.

What's the AFR, though? I just thought it "looked" different, but I am not aware of much in the internals or adjustment that was changed in '07. Was it only the slightly faster ability to close the valve after being activated?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The AFR shock is Specialized's version of the fox shock. It is a little better. You won't really be any faster on an AFR equipped epic. The transition from locked to unlocked and back again is just a little smoother. Again, not really any faster, just feels a little more refined. I was completely happy with my fox equipped epic. If you are using the bike for mostly racing and are not real concerned with the comfort, then you could go as old as the original 03' which is just as fast, although it did lose a half a pound from 03' to 04'. The newer ones with the brain fade just have the ability to tune the rear suspesion a little softer when you are just training. I also forgot to mention that with the change to the brain fade in 06', the travel also went from 90mm to 100mm in the rear. If you are looking for a good all around bike get an 06' or newer. Pure race bike, any year will do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got a special 03 sworks frame w/ the newer 04 upgraded fox shock. It had adjustable blue lever that is shown above. So, my comment in response to your original post is:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.