Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you have have not yet made the big C (commitment) for the weekend. I wanted to share with you some rides that we have planned. They are not in stone so Im also open to any suggestions. Beware though you have to get up with the birds on the rides that are here in the valley!

Saturday morning 5 am , meeting at guard station at south mountain by central. We will climb up Ranger, short ride up national to down on 620 to up on bees knees.

Sunday morning 7 am, meeting at start of AZ trail which is found by driving the road up to snowbowl for 4 miles and park on the left (there's a a small parking area on side of road with a split rail fence on the left). This ride is fun, shaded, non techy, no seriously steep hills (but air is thin!)out and back, optional turn around in case you dont want to do the full 15.

Monday morning (join anytime but we are starting at 4 am) we will be riding 4 loops on pemberton. Show up anytime you like and jump in. Im just itching for a nice ,slow, take my time, hope i don't die on the forth loop ride!

email if you are coming at last minute or have any questions. [email protected]

Please come and join !!!!!!The more riders the more chance of crazy adventurous occurances!:band: Plus it always makes the post ride story more interesting! Have a safe and happy fourth!!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tri-girl said:
Monday morning (join anytime but we are starting at 4 am) we will be riding 4 loops on pemberton. Show up anytime you like and jump in. Im just itching for a nice ,slow, take my time, hope i don't die on the forth loop ride!
So they don't close the park gates overnight?

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
Tri-girl said:
Saturday morning 5 am , meeting at guard station at south mountain by central. We will climb up Ranger, short ride up national to down on 620 to up on bees knees.
Once you descend the 620 you're in for either a long ride around the west end of SoMo, a hard ride back up the 620 or a hike-a-bike up Telegraph. Could be a very tough ride in this heat.

·
"No Clue Crew"
1,231 Posts
AZ Mikey said:
Once you descend the 620 you're in for either a long ride around the west end of SoMo, a hard ride back up the 620 or a hike-a-bike up Telegraph. Could be a very tough ride in this heat.
You are right ! We are going around the west end. Maybe we better start at 4.

I think the gates open at 5. Anyone know where a safe place is to park so that we can ride through the gates ?

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Cenobite39 said:
I think the gates open at 5. Anyone know where a safe place is to park so that we can ride through the gates ?
if you're referring to MMP, i don't think the main gate ever closes. most times during the summer they don't open the gate at shallmo (to pemberton TH) till 6am. i usually park on the road where pemberton crosses. i've been doing that for many years and have never been harrased. some people park at the visitor center and ride down.

trigirl, i'll be out there monday at 5:30am with a friend. we're slow, so please don't run us over. JK ;) i've seen coyotekiss out there doing laps too. awesome!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow, I was planning on riding the AZ trail on snowbowl rd sun morning too. I was going to take my wife there, this would be here second mountain bike ride. Not sure if I will be there by 7am to ride with you, or wait and ride with my wife. She would rather just hike, or bike slowly and take pictures all day. Why are you starting so early in Flagstaff? won't be hot there will it?

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
freeskier46 said:
So, the eternal question: CW or CCW on Pemberton?
ccw fer shur. that service road is boring either way so might as well get it over with and enjoy the single track which flows more dH when going ccw.

thems my 2¢

·
Need more cowbell
938 Posts
CCW is my vote.

I was there this morning....they have done some work on the trail between the trailhead the first road crossing....if you are going CCW. Really sandy sections with some un-compacted loose dirt in others....get that stuff out of the way early.

·
"No Clue Crew"
1,231 Posts
We are only starting early because we are camping out tonight but we can start later if you 2 want to join us.
We are actually going up today to find and photograph the grand canyon rattlesnake

and we will be sleeping on the south rim tonight.

Give me a call or just shoot me a text and let me know what time.
480-313-9079

Rick

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kaboose said:
if you're referring to MMP, i don't think the main gate ever closes. most times during the summer they don't open the gate at shallmo (to pemberton TH) till 6am. i usually park on the road where pemberton crosses. i've been doing that for many years and have never been harrased. some people park at the visitor center and ride down.

trigirl, i'll be out there monday at 5:30am with a friend. we're slow, so please don't run us over. JK ;) i've seen coyotekiss out there doing laps too. awesome!
Glad your coming out there ! Looking forward to meeting you. 530 is perfect we will finishing up the first loop around that time. Coyotekiss and MY BIKEs BROKEN will be joining us too. Gonna be fun times!

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
kaboose said:
i've seen coyotekiss out there doing laps too. awesome!
It was so good seeing you out there that morning! It had been too long!
Looking forward to a Kaboose sighting out there tomorrow. Somehow or another, we'll drag each other through this heat! ACK! :eekster: :D

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
Tri-girl said:
Coyotekiss and MY BIKEs BROKEN will be joining us too. Gonna be fun times!
MUCH as I love the "kiss", as it makes me sound all approachable, when in fact, I am not ...(**NOTE: Aaron is co-piloting this post in the chair next to me, and just told me to clarify any such misconception... **), the kis is actually short for KISMET (fate, destiny), not KISS. But I'll take it!!! Kissin' is bueno!

That said, ohhhhh yes... shall be fun times, as always, starting-time, not withstanding. :madman:

Aaron says: "ummm... err.... ummm... boxed wine?" :eek:ut:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.