Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As it says..... I'm getting a Trance3 and was looking for some suggestions on upgrades. I think I'll be pretty happy overall with the bike and the LX components in general. In looking at the specs I saw tthat it's coming with Formula Disc HUBS and since I have a set (of formula hubs) that I think aren't really worth **** I was wondering if this wouldn't be a good starting place - maybe they're a step above what I've got, maybe not.

I'm not a weight weenie, so that's not a major concern here ( I would like a sub 28lb bike, which I'm hoping this will come in at) I'm looking to upgrade to components that will last me more than a year and I don't really have cash to spare so only essential stuff.

FULL BIKE SPECS - STOCK
color - Silver
size - 14.5", 16", 18", 20", 21"
frame - ALUXX SL aluminum
fork - RockShox Duke SC, 100mm travel
shock - Fox Float R
derailleur - Front: Shimano LX Rear: LX
shifters - Shimano Deore
cassette - SRAM PG950 11-34T, 9 speed
cranks - Race Face Ride XC ISIS 22/32/44
handlebar - Easton EA30 low rise
stem - Easton 6061 alloy
headset - FSA Orbit Z, ACB
brakes - Hayes SOLE, hydralic, 6" rotor
levers - Hayes
saddle - WTB Rocket V
seatpost - Easton EA50 350x30.9
rims - Mavic XM 117
hubs - Formula disc
tires - Hutchinson Bulldog AirLight, wire 26x2.1
spokes - Stainless 15G front, 14G rear
pedals - Shimano PD-M505

·
Registered
460 Posts
LyNx said:
As it says..... I'm getting a Trance3 and was looking for some suggestions on upgrades. I think I'll be pretty happy overall with the bike and the LX components in general. In looking at the specs I saw tthat it's coming with Formula Disc HUBS and since I have a set (of formula hubs) that I think aren't really worth **** I was wondering if this wouldn't be a good starting place - maybe they're a step above what I've got, maybe not.

I'm not a weight weenie, so that's not a major concern here ( I would like a sub 28lb bike, which I'm hoping this will come in at) I'm looking to upgrade to components that will last me more than a year and I don't really have cash to spare so only essential stuff.

FULL BIKE SPECS - STOCK
color - Silver
size - 14.5", 16", 18", 20", 21"
frame - ALUXX SL aluminum
fork - RockShox Duke SC, 100mm travel
shock - Fox Float R
derailleur - Front: Shimano LX Rear: LX
shifters - Shimano Deore
cassette - SRAM PG950 11-34T, 9 speed
cranks - Race Face Ride XC ISIS 22/32/44
handlebar - Easton EA30 low rise
stem - Easton 6061 alloy
headset - FSA Orbit Z, ACB
brakes - Hayes SOLE, hydralic, 6" rotor
levers - Hayes
saddle - WTB Rocket V
seatpost - Easton EA50 350x30.9
rims - Mavic XM 117
hubs - Formula disc
tires - Hutchinson Bulldog AirLight, wire 26x2.1
spokes - Stainless 15G front, 14G rear
pedals - Shimano PD-M505
I would definitely ditch the wheels, go with a better built wheel or build them with XT hubs if you don't have the extra cash. I would also cut the H-bar down it is wide beyond belief. Other than that I would leave as is and what for other parts to break or wear out before replacing.

·
2010 Glory custom FR
1,098 Posts
hey LyNx! does your rear Fox shock have Propedal? is this the same shock as on T2?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frango said:
hey LyNx! does your rear Fox shock have Propedal? is this the same shock as on T2?
Well according to the specs on GIANT's site it is, but you'd have to check w/ GIANT or a dealer for that info,, since I don't have the bike yet and there's no bikes of that type/caliber for sale here. Maybe Dan Mitchel can help here - BTW thanks for the confirmation on HUB changes Dan.

When I finally get the bike in about 3 weeks I'll post pics and thoughts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont think they put ProPedals on Trances, but I could be mistaken. Ive heard that theres still a little pedal sag so thats my reasoning for saying that.

Anywhoo, replace the tires, pedals and possibly hubs depending on your needs. Everything else seems like my '04 NRS3 besides the hydraulic brakes and the EA30 componets. Tell us what you decide to do.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'd check FOXs' site, BUT the morons have a FLASH only site and obviously don't feel that they've got many customers on dial-up anymore :mad:
I can't get any info on their products unless I run flash and even with that and my inability to get anything other than dial-up it takes forever and a F***ing eternity - Bad Business fox :mad:

the 3 lower ends Trance bike carry the FOX Float R, not sure if there's any differences between them somehow being OEM specific for GIANT :confused:

·
Registered
460 Posts
LyNx said:
Well I'd check FOXs' site, BUT the morons have a FLASH only site and obviously don't feel that they've got many customers on dial-up anymore :mad:
I can't get any info on their products unless I run flash and even with that and my inability to get anything other than dial-up it takes forever and a F***ing eternity - Bad Business fox :mad:

the 3 lower ends Trance bike carry the FOX Float R, not sure if there's any differences between them somehow being OEM specific for GIANT :confused:
The T3 and T2 has a float R with propedal, The T1 has the RP3. Lynx if you wanted I have a spare RP3 that would fit if you are interested.

Dan Mitchell

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
danmtchl said:
The T3 and T2 has a float R with propedal, The T1 has the RP3. Lynx if you wanted I have a spare RP3 that would fit if you are interested.

Dan Mitchell
Thanks Dan, I might take you up on that offer. I'll wait till I get the T3 first and see how it goes w/ the normal Float R. I think that from all reports the Float R and new suspension design "should" take care of peddle bob on the rear, but I think I might want to replace the DUKE fork after a little while. But basically it will feel like I've gone from a Gremlin to a Ferrari, going from my DB COIL X to the T3.

First 2 major upgrades I KNOW I'll be looking to do is the HUBs(to some XT's) and getting some bigger Chanirings ( I'll be looking to at least get a 46-34-24 setup, since I don't ever use the Granny gear right now on my DB and the middle-ring is a 32).

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
LyNx said:
Thanks Dan, I might take you up on that offer. I'll wait till I get the T3 first and see how it goes w/ the normal Float R. I think that from all reports the Float R and new suspension design "should" take care of peddle bob on the rear, but I think I might want to replace the DUKE fork after a little while. But basically it will feel like I've gone from a Gremlin to a Ferrari, going from my DB COIL X to the T3.

First 2 major upgrades I KNOW I'll be looking to do is the HUBs(to some XT's) and getting some bigger Chanirings ( I'll be looking to at least get a 46-34-24 setup, since I don't ever use the Granny gear right now on my DB and the middle-ring is a 32).
Now you mention it.... your Float will be a perfect candidate for a Push upgrade...

As for the chainrings... isn't it easier to just shift to a taller gear??? Unless you're a XC racer you'll be better by spinning your current cranks instead of mashing a taller gearing.. but that's just me maybe.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Now you mention it.... your Float will be a perfect candidate for a Push upgrade...

As for the chainrings... isn't it easier to just shift to a taller gear??? Unless you're a XC racer you'll be better by spinning your current cranks instead of mashing a taller gearing.. but that's just me maybe.
The Fox Float R has propedal, so there is no reason to have it pushed. Some guys just love those bigger chainrings for some reason. The Duke fork is a great fork, if anything I would add a climb-it control setup and your good to go. I had Hippie-Tech suspension do mine. I have a 02 Duke Race Dual air and added the setup and basiclly it is a SID on steroids.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warp2003 said:

Well I think Dan as a GIANT dealer and rider may know something there, but finally it will be up to me and how the back feels when I'm out of the saddle hammering.

The suggestion for the Fork might be a good idea and worth looking into, IF I'm not pleased with it at stock.

As for
isn't it easier to just shift to a taller gear
It is if you have more gears to go to. Right now my setup is a 13-34Tcassette/44-32-22 crankset and I regularly push in high/high combinations on tracks that aren't rough and flat/slight incline (in other words in my tallest combo). I like to peddle somewhere around 75 candence or above. However it is easier to maintain a candence of 75 vs a candence of 100 for a longer period - for me at least and the higher chainring at 46 would really come into effect on the roads.

So I'm not sure if 2 more teeth on the cassette will make a huge difference or not, that's why I'm looking at a very tall top chainring.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
LyNx said:
As for It is if you have more gears to go to. Right now my setup is a 13-34Tcassette/44-32-22 crankset and I regularly push in high/high combinations on tracks that aren't rough and flat/slight incline (in other words in my tallest combo). I like to peddle somewhere around 75 candence or above. However it is easier to maintain a candence of 75 vs a candence of 100 for a longer period - for me at least and the higher chainring at 46 would really come into effect on the roads.

So I'm not sure if 2 more teeth on the cassette will make a huge difference or not, that's why I'm looking at a very tall top chainring.
Now I got it. But then why don't you use a gear calculator to see how a 11-32 or 11-34 would do?? A SRAM PG-990 is way cheaper than a custom crankset (or chainrings for that matter). Worth trying.

For example, for your road rides... a 46-13 (tallest gear) gives you a 3.54:1 ratio but a 44-11 goes up to 4:1 which is better. But then your gear jumps would be greater.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Warp2003 said:
Now I got it. But then why don't you use a gear calculator to see how a 11-32 or 11-34 would do?? A SRAM PG-990 is way cheaper than a custom crankset (or chainrings for that matter). Worth trying.

For example, for your road rides... a 46-13 (tallest gear) gives you a 3.54:1 ratio but a 44-11 goes up to 4:1 which is better. But then your gear jumps would be greater.
yeh I've done the math, but it's hard to "imagine" what it actually will feel/be like. Right now with my 22-32-44 crankset and 13-34T cassette I get a 3.38:1 ratio and when I get my new T3 with the SRAM PG950 cassette 11-34T and RF 22-32-44 crankset I'll have the max of 4:1, but don't think that will be enough for me doing off/on road racing riding, which we do a lot of. WIth the 46 big ring and 11 I'd get 4.18:1 which should just be enough for an edge when my damn legs are doing 110+ candence and about to drop off :D
As an example this last Sat's ride we had no big hills and it was a combo of off and on-road, I did my max speed of 31.6 mph ( prob a little higher since the computer was originally set for my semi-slicks and I was on off-roads) and that was down a slight incline ( 5 degrees) and quite rough. Yet I still accomplished this speed and could have done more with taller gears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts