Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious. Consider it market research. how much would you pay for a high quality (good print, sharp, in focus, well composed photo). Biking, little league, whatever.

Also, would you buy on site or prefer to go online and order from home?

I know we'd all like free stuff, or very cheap. I'm looking for realistic pricing info. What is the most you would pay. If it was a great photo would you want something bigger? How much would you pay for that?

While I'm at it...how much for say 10 wallet sizes? 5x7? What size would you be most interested in?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Well.....

Doug said:
Just curious. Consider it market research. how much would you pay for a high quality (good print, sharp, in focus, well composed photo). Biking, little league, whatever.
I would pay the cost of high quality photographic paper and the cost of my printer's toner.

So that probably works out to 50¢-$1.00 per print.

Ken

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Doug, you were involved in this discussion before. It's still data even though it was for a race situation, it's still similiar to what you are asking.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=84154&highlight=race+photos

I freelanced to a bud who owns a action photo company who shows up and does onsite printing last week. We had this discussion and it was interesting what his views are.

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
I think I know what you're getting at:

I got a buddy who goes to certain games/sporting events/proms with a digicam, printer and PC. Usual price for him is $20 for a shot of Jr. on the Ice at the hockey game/baseball game/whatever. That's by sheet. So, that could be whatever fits in an 8.5x11 sheet of photo paper, whether it's an 8x10, 4 wallets and a 5x7, or whatever.

He doesn't get rich, but he makes some coin on the deal.

Oh, yeah, I paid $25 per sheet for pics with the easter bunny.

AJ

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
mcseforsale said:
I got a buddy who goes to certain games/sporting events/proms with a digicam, printer and PC. Usual price for him is $20 for a shot of Jr. on the Ice at the hockey game/baseball game/whatever. That's by sheet. So, that could be whatever fits in an 8.5x11 sheet of photo paper, whether it's an 8x10, 4 wallets and a 5x7, or whatever.

He doesn't get rich, but he makes some coin on the deal.

Oh, yeah, I paid $25 per sheet for pics with the easter bunny.

AJ
Do you know if he is using a dye sub/ archival printer? I certainly hope so!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
mcseforsale said:
I'm a packet pusher...don't know much about printing. I do know he paid a bunch for it.

AJ
That's good to hear. People should never buy pix from someone using inkjet--those fade really fast. The minumum archival print comes from something like this:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1020577403.html

If you look at the materials costs alone, it's over $3 a 8.5" x 11"print. Independent of equipments costs, and time, there is no way to make money doing prints for $5.

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lidarman said:
Doug, you were involved in this discussion before. It's still data even though it was for a race situation, it's still similiar to what you are asking.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=84154&highlight=race+photos

I freelanced to a bud who owns a action photo company who shows up and does onsite printing last week. We had this discussion and it was interesting what his views are.
So what were his views? Be curious to know since I'm getting closer and closer to doing this kind of work as opportunities present themselves. I certainly won't be one of the price slashers, was asking more to gauge interest at paying my price.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Not much. I don't want to see any more of those scruffy ragamuffins than I have to!

OK, realistically? Hmmm... We don't get into lots of portraits perse, rather we take lots of pictures of them doing things, with our cameras (digital and otherwise). If I were to get portraits done I would want to go to a nice place to get them done well (did it once, way better than the silly Sears shots); the yearly school pictures take care of the relatives and take the place of the Dept. store photography. I see a big difference between the portraits and the shots of the kids with team uniforms, etc. The shots with the uniforms/garb don't interest me. The shots of the kids doing the activity in the uniform would be much more appealing. In that case a good action shot might be worth $10, but then we take our own cameras for that, as photographers aren't just sitting beside the trails...

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Doug said:
So what were his views? Be curious to know since I'm getting closer and closer to doing this kind of work as opportunities present themselves. I certainly won't be one of the price slashers, was asking more to gauge interest at paying my price.
I sent you a PM.

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
Just bought some

shots of my daughter playing in her first t-ball game. The company offered 1 shot for $15, 2 for $20, or unlimited for $30. After going over her team's notebook, I walked away with 12 shots of my kiddo. This will be enough for me and some to send to the Grand-parental units. I doubt that I would have paid for only one or two, but being able to get enough to share was an offer I decided to take. Being the only girl on the team, I think there were a few more pics of her than of her teammates, but all of the players had 7 - 9 pics taken.

The company had access to the field and took some pretty good shots. They claimed that they should be able to visit each team about three times throughout the season, and will set up their booth the weekend after each session.

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
STinGa said:
shots of my daughter playing in her first t-ball game. The company offered 1 shot for $15, 2 for $20, or unlimited for $30. After going over her team's notebook, I walked away with 12 shots of my kiddo. This will be enough for me and some to send to the Grand-parental units. I doubt that I would have paid for only one or two, but being able to get enough to share was an offer I decided to take. Being the only girl on the team, I think there were a few more pics of her than of her teammates, but all of the players had 7 - 9 pics taken.

The company had access to the field and took some pretty good shots. They claimed that they should be able to visit each team about three times throughout the season, and will set up their booth the weekend after each session.
I don't know how they can do that! The prints (if they are worth anything and will last more than 3 weeks in light) cost about $2-3 to make. Selling 12 means they lost money on you.

Out of curiosity, do they have a website? Very often the places I see selling prints at such good prices take pretty bad photos.

·
Registered
534 Posts
lidarman said:
That's good to hear. People should never buy pix from someone using inkjet--those fade really fast. .
Not entirely true...it all depends on the type of printer and inkset used. A good quality Pigment based ink printed on matte or luster paper can often rival the best darkroom prints in terms of both quality and longevity.

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
I will check it out for you

Doug said:
I don't know how they can do that! The prints (if they are worth anything and will last more than 3 weeks in light) cost about $2-3 to make. Selling 12 means they lost money on you.

Out of curiosity, do they have a website? Very often the places I see selling prints at such good prices take pretty bad photos.
The next time I see their booth set up, I will ask about a website. These are 5x7s and not 8x10s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.