Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this a little bit lately what things would you like to see.
can be anything from.

a certain kind of part
clothing
frame design
videos

anything really.

as for myself probably a better type of brake system

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
dungeonsound615 said:
as for myself probably a better type of brake system
Better than the hydraulic disc system? Or a better variation of the system?

From a performance to weight ratio you would be hard pressed to do better than the hydro-disc. Lets face it everything from superbikes to F1 cars relies upon this premise to come to stop.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
For me, more DVD's of general riding, not just DJ and Hard core hucking FR.............. Not saying I dont like these, but feel cool scenery and hard core XC / AM riding is nto showing up much.............

Explain please what you mean a better braking system, your thoughts on what is needed..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright i guess its not the braking system. For example i love my hayes mags but there a pain in the ass to bleed when they need to be. otherwise i have to agree if there good enough for F1 cars there good enough for my bike.

regular mtb videos would be kinda cool like videos of different trails and stuff like that, although i do like the big hucks and stuff and find them more fun to watch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd like to see someone come up with a totally different frame material, something that has never even been seen as bike-building material. Something that worked and upset the status quo of Al, Fe, Ti and C. Whether this is a new alloy or polymer, whatever.

I realise the odds of this happening are remote, but it would completely shake up bike design at every level.

·
wait a minute....
216 Posts
something like a rolhoff hub

but lightweight,and strong as a rolhoff ,and not $1000 to build a wheel.:thumbsup:

G

·
larger zipper pulls on clothing. many riders now use full fingered gloves, but jerseys, jackets and vests have zipper pulls that seem to be designed for children's hands rather than those of adults.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
I'd rather celebrate what we have, than complain about what we don't have...

And to JBone, have you heard of the company that does the bamboo bike??

G

·
mtnbykr06 said:
I'd rather celebrate what we have, than complain about what we don't have...

And to JBone, have you heard of the company that does the bamboo bike??
if the industry kept that kind of attitude, we'd still be riding fully rigid bikes with friction shifting.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I'd like to see two things:

More truth from manufacturers about the actual performance all the different suspension designs out there (suspension design has got to be one of the most debated technical topics on these forums).

Mountain biking magazines that are a good mix of:
- honest, critical product reviews
- articles on technique
- pictorals on riding areas.

Mountain Flyer (or whatever the mag based in the Rockies is called) is good for that latter. I haven't come across a good mag for the first two areas.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't think we will ever see accurate critical reviews from a magazine.

The only way you will get that is if the magazine does not sell ads, and if that becomes the case each issue will probably cost $50 to make up for the lost revenue. The bottom line is companies won't pay you for ads if you truthfully review their products. Which is why all the magazines make glowing reviews, at best they list some things they might like to see different but then spend a paragraph on how that's just their opinion or how the company promised to address the issue etc.

I would like to see some scientific testing of suspension designs. It would be amazing if someone could build a rig something like a treadmill with off road uneven terrain and use a computer and time lapse photo to analyze the suspension performance at different speeds, and such to really evaluate how well the suspension is holding the trail, and how much brake jack there is etc. Also the efficiency of the suspension, how much power is it really taking from the rider. Until there is a scientific test to compare them, everyone is going to claim their's is the best and the debates will continue. It would no doubt cost a ton of money to build, and the results would likely contradict a lot of the information out there now. So it's not likely to happen. Even then the debates would continue though, people would claim the suspension was not set up right, tire psi was too high/low etc. etc.

I'd like to see light companies list the total lumen output of their lights and also beam angles. It's still a poor way to do comparisons but it's 100 times better than what they do now. The who watt equivalence and such is just a joke.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Yeah, critical writeups might be the stuff of dreams. Some of the (mostly UK) mags on outdoorsy and photo gear sometimes do a decent job of it. MBAs writeups would be laughable, were they not so pathetic.

Looks like you've put some thought into possible suspension comparisions ;). Mountain biking is a funny mix of passion, fashion and engineering, at a different ratio for different people. Companies seem to be able to make token nod to the engineering part of it whilst really catering to the first two factors- a quick look at most websites confirms this (e.g. Intense uses VPP, right? But their website looks like it was designed for rebel skaters)

The best comparisons of lighting I have seen are some side-by-side photos that some of the bikeforums.net guys have done. Really good stuff.

What else would I like to see? I'd like to see mountain biking become so popular that efficiencies of scale and competition kicked in enough to make cheap, good mountain bikes. My bike cost more than a decent seconhand car, and the material and complexity just doesn't compare.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Few things:

1. Standardized parts... BB shells, head tubes, handlebars... wow do MFG's run with this stuff. Seriously there is no advantage to having a 31.8 handlebar. It's idiotic.

2. Computerized, active suspension. Why are we wasting our time "tuning" our suspensions? When I sit on a bike, I want it to sense my weight and adjust during my ride. No "brain" shocks... No remote lockout... just make it do it automatically using technology... not more f-ing cables and thumb slides.

3. Lighter rear wheels. All bikes are rear heavy. How about using some R&D money and fixing the obvious issue with the bike being out of balance front to back. Weight distribution would help technical riding a great deal.

4. Cheaper GPS solutions. I can buy a Garmin Etrex Legend and mount it to my bike. It has more features and more logic than any of these new GPS bike computers that cost twice as much. Terrible fleecing of the bike riders.

5. Ban Reflectors. Reflectors make riders think they can be seen. That is total B.S. Nights are a must and if you ride at night without them, you are a moron. No reflectors! All bikes should be sold with light kits.

6. Mt. Biking is not an Olympic sport. That's right. MTB is one of many activities that should not be in the Olympics. Especially downhill MTB.

7. No more MTB rags. There isn't a good MTB mag out there anymore. You get better info off of Blogs and message boards.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Glad you asked!

I would like to see shops at the LBS level get involved in local trail building and maintenance, across the nation. Maybe give the empoyees pro-deal incentive or some other sort of credit for time spent working the trails. If this caught on, it could really change the bike industry and benefit everybody. MFG's could really kick-start this by promoting the concept with consumers and offering incentives to shops- even just acknowledgement in advertising.

Right now, many of us (including myself) choose to mail order stuff since the prices are so much better. This makes it really tough for local bike shops to make a profit. I understand the costs of running a shop are a lot higher than running a mail-order business. But, I spent 6 years working at the two of the most popular local bike stores- Both shops are run and staffed predominately by roadies, and the customer base is roadies, commuters and family bikes. For those of us that prefer to do our own bike work, there just isn't a lot of incentive to pay extra and buy locally. I do not see these shops (let alone the big-box retailers) doing much if anything to give back to the sport or trails.

What makes it even worse IMHO, these shops will sponsor road and MTB teams, but not sponsor work parties to repair damage & clean up after MTB races, especially on wet days.

Now if I rode up to a local trailhead and found a new sign saying "This trail maintained by Joe's Bikes", and then found a bunch of drainage improvements or new technical trail features, maybe some fallen tree's removed or even just trash picked up, I would be more inclined to drop the extra %15 to buy locally.

PS- Seems like "Over the Edge" in Fruita has basically done this- props to them! I knwo I was inspired to spend some $$ there when visiting after riding fruita trails that they helped build & maintain. Props!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.