Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is SS related.... (Sidi shoes)
So, I'm hard on shoes...like all my equipment...
My Sidi Dom's have got almost 2 years on 'em..and they are almost worn clean through on the toes..but have life in 'em..I'm positive..my wife wouldn't agree..but....

Anyway..was trying to replace cleats today...and it seems they were worn almost through the head of the screw...must have been the miles of walking in the last 2 Vision Quests?

Got one cleat off and replaced...but cleat #2 was a mess. No way to get an allen in there since head was all deformed...it promptly stripped and I attempted to drill it out, etc.

Long story short..I've got 1 shoe with a new cleat and 1 shoe with the cleat off, but 2 screw bodies lodged perfectly in the shoe thingy...I'm afraid to drill for fear of damaging the thingy....

Any bright ideas?

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Thingy trouble?

Some shoes have insoles that can be removed to expose and possibly allow removal of the thingy from the inside. If you can get it out, it will be easier to drill or you may even be able to get another from Sidi or someone else.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mattman said:
Some shoes have insoles that can be removed to expose and possibly allow removal of the thingy from the inside. If you can get it out, it will be easier to drill or you may even be able to get another from Sidi or someone else.
I tried removing the insole, but it was glued down.
There were two screws at the back but those simply hold the sole on at the back.
GREAT idea about getting another thingy from Sidi or someone.
I'll shoot them an email and see what they say...thanks Matt!

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
It could be re-glued

Padre said:
I tried removing the insole, but it was glued down.
There were two screws at the back but those simply hold the sole on at the back.
GREAT idea about getting another thingy from Sidi or someone.
I'll shoot them an email and see what they say...thanks Matt!
At least it could be reglued if you don't totally destroy it. If you take a picture of the thingy there is a good chance somebody here has an old pair of "mud shoes" with the same one.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mattman said:
At least it could be reglued if you don't totally destroy it. If you take a picture of the thingy there is a good chance somebody here has an old pair of "mud shoes" with the same one.
True..i'll work on it...hot tip on the "mud shoes," that was my big plan for these! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
543 Posts
There is a small section........

(Or at least there should be), of the insole right over the "thingy" as You called it that can be pried up.(It should be scored) under it is the "thingy" and it is replaceable and fairly cheap. Most stores that sell sidi shoes either have the "thingy" or can get it. I have replaced My "thingy" in the past because I cracked it!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
There is a flap cutout in the insole. Pry it up and the cleat plate can be removed and replaced. I have done it on my Sidis. You do not even need to glue the flap back down.

The Path should have a drawer full of the plates. Common item at any shop that has been around for a while.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Dremel, Uber Alles

Padre-

Like almost everything bike-related, this sounds like a job for the Dremel. The noisiest solution that also generates sparks is usually the best solution.

JMH

Padre said:
My Sidi Dom's have got almost 2 years on 'em..and they are almost worn clean through on the toes..but have life in 'em..I'm positive..my wife wouldn't agree..but....

Anyway..was trying to replace cleats today...and it seems they were worn almost through the head of the screw...must have been the miles of walking in the last 2 Vision Quests?

Got one cleat off and replaced...but cleat #2 was a mess. No way to get an allen in there since head was all deformed...it promptly stripped and I attempted to drill it out, etc.

Long story short..I've got 1 shoe with a new cleat and 1 shoe with the cleat off, but 2 screw bodies lodged perfectly in the shoe thingy...I'm afraid to drill for fear of damaging the thingy....

Any bright ideas?
:D

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
JMH said:
Like almost everything bike-related, this sounds like a job for the Dremel. The noisiest solution that also generates sparks is usually the best solution.
If you have one, first try an "ez out" reverse drill bit... or skip it and go for the Dremel... slice the cleat into pieces.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Padre said:
...Long story short..I've got 1 shoe with a new cleat and 1 shoe with the cleat off, but 2 screw bodies lodged perfectly in the shoe thingy...I'm afraid to drill for fear of damaging the thingy...
Actually it is very hard to even get close to the cleat plate when drilling off the bolt head. Just make sure you are using a bit larger than the bolt diameter. Pop the bolt heads off. Remove the bolts with vicegrips. Install new cleats.

Whether you do or don't damage the cleat plate you have to get the cleat off to replace anything.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
One of posts last night on the Retro forum was that I used a rounded, cone-shaped, carbide bit for a die grinder to grind off the heads on the brake arch mounting screws on a Judy XC. There was no room to cut a slot and nothing else really made any sense to me at the time. The 'xmas tree' bit works really well, especially the fact that the carbide bit will chew through just about anything you want it to. Once the head/s are removed, the cleat will be easily removed, and you will be able to use a pair of pliers (visegrips) to remove the screw/s.
Sounds like the shoes might be on their last leg, but at $250 or so, why not try to salvage.

·
Only dead people are old
709 Posts
Padre said:

Any bright ideas?
Plant a flower in it and put it in your garden!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.