Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Would like to get some other people’s feelings about a purchase I recently made on eBay. So I purchased a new to me carbon framed complete bike. Per the description ridden 20 times and in good condition. The pictures looked good however in hind site they look like pictures when the bike was new.

The bike arrives packed in a previously used bike box with wheels off and pedals in a bag in the box, fork removed and laying next to the frame and bars laying on top of frame. Other then the peddles being in a zip lock bag there was no other protection between the frame, fork, bars and stem and wheels. The box had the normal wear and tear on it from shipping there was not any damage to the out side of the box from fedex.

the frame received a lot of paint damage as well as a few dime size chunks all the way thru the paint in To the carbon.

so my question is should I be ok with the damage?
or should I pursue the seller for the damages or ultimately return it to the seller? Having never purchased a bike on eBay before I am trying to make sure that is not over reacting.
i know I would not have paid what I did for the bike knowing it current condition! Thanks for the advise!!

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
You're protected by the ebay guarantee to get what you paid for, as described in the ad. It's the seller's responsibility to pack it properly to have it make it to you in that state. eBay is essentially saying there should be no risk for the buyer in receiving trash (and also protect the seller from scammy buyers).

The seller's negligence should cost them. Sounds like you could raise a case for partial refund, to cover cost of the frame's finish.

I'm an ebay buyer & seller. I've had some partial refund cases go through. When the sellers didn't disclose damage and other issues that weren't as advertised, I've had some sellers try to pass it off as, "it's used, you can't expect like-new!" That's irresponsible and dishonest of them, if they use deceptive photos and overpromise with hyperbole that could be read literally. Just ask what's you think is fair compensation and let it be a lesson to them, or pull the ebay guarantee card. They can allow returns, if it's not as advertised, to get a refund, even if seller doesn't allow returns.

I'd maybe "pro-rate" the damage, as it would be ridiculous to ask for $200-500 to cover the cost of a fresh new paint job, unless that was 10% of the purchase price (citing it being a very emotional-based purchase). xD If it happened to me, I'd see it as a win-win scenario to do partial refund, no matter if I were buyer or seller. If I were seller, I'd pack things more carefully.

I honestly did the same kind of weak-ass pack job once. Considering the shipping and fees, I got well under $200 for the bike and just didn't care too much (was worth $740+tax new). Buyer could've made a fuss, but it would be quite nitpicky, considering it was stated to be "good condition, with moderate surface paint wear". A good seller's gotta put themselves in a potential buyers' shoes, to know what precautions to take to ensure satisfaction, but some people just are stupid, hard-headed, believe the "customer is always right", and are near impossible to satisfy once their emotions get involved.

·
Your bike sucks
2,567 Posts
Pics would help us assess the damage. But, a crap pack job is unacceptable these days - particularly w/ a carbon frame. Reusing a bike box isn't a big deal - leaving things loose and rattling around is a no-no.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,612 Posts
It shouldn't cost anything to pack the bike right. if I go to a shop and ask for a bike box, I can also make sure it includes packing materials from the bike that was originally shipped in it. That, plus a few zip ties to keep stuff from moving in there should keep everything in good shape.

the packing materials MIGHT increase the shipping cost a little bit (package weight). But as a seller who has sold and shipped some complete bikes (and frames), packing it well to prevent damage during shipment is always worth it. It makes the buyer happy and reduces the chances for what you SHOULD do next.

You SHOULD take it up with the seller. I hope you took pictures of it when you opened the box (to document the weak packing job). If the seller refuses to work with you, then move up the ladder and take it up with ebay. With it being carbon, I'd demand a full refund and demand the seller pay for return shipping (WITH a professional packing job from a shop to CYA). If you've got dime-sized chunks of paint missing, and exposed carbon, there's a risk that the frame itself is compromised and you can't know for sure unless it's x-rayed. IMO, let the seller deal with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys
I believe the damage was all from the poor packing job.

I haven’t contacted the seller yet as I wanted to get some other opinions.

I will keep this up to date

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,100 Posts
It shouldn't cost anything to pack the bike right. if I go to a shop and ask for a bike box, I can also make sure it includes packing materials from the bike that was originally shipped in it. That, plus a few zip ties to keep stuff from moving in there should keep everything in good shape.

the packing materials MIGHT increase the shipping cost a little bit (package weight). But as a seller who has sold and shipped some complete bikes (and frames), packing it well to prevent damage during shipment is always worth it. It makes the buyer happy and reduces the chances for what you SHOULD do next.

You SHOULD take it up with the seller. I hope you took pictures of it when you opened the box (to document the weak packing job). If the seller refuses to work with you, then move up the ladder and take it up with ebay. With it being carbon, I'd demand a full refund and demand the seller pay for return shipping (WITH a professional packing job from a shop to CYA). If you've got dime-sized chunks of paint missing, and exposed carbon, there's a risk that the frame itself is compromised and you can't know for sure unless it's x-rayed. IMO, let the seller deal with that.
Yep on all counts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me in 2017. Bought a bike of ebay....all the pics in the ad showed no damage, no scratches, chips, etc.....and there were some 20 very detailed pics in all. The seller, a bike shop in Mass., had a 100% rep and had been a member since 2010. When the bike arrived a week later, to my dismay, I noticed a huge hole on the side of the box. Upon opening the carton, I could see right away the packing was terrible.... barely any packing material at all. I could also see deep gouges all over the frame caused by the wheel hubs rubbing against it. The rear derailleur and hanger were bent, there were scratches all over the handlebar as it was just shoved down beside one wheel and the plastic MRP chain guide had broken in pieces. The hydraulic brake lines were kinked and a small box place inside that contained the pedals, skewers and other small parts, busted open....so there were loose parts everywhere. I took very detailed photos, contacted the seller (they gave me excuse after excuse and tried to blame UPS, btw) then contacted Ebay. I sent them all the photos from the seller's ad (it's always a good idea to download them) and the photos I took. They contacted the seller, and I was issued a full refund upon return of the bike. I was also compensated for the shipping cost of $150.

Definitely contact the seller first and see if it can be resolved. If it can't, contact Ebay and get a full refund.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
The bike should have arrived the way it was shown in the pictures. Don't muck about, ask for a full refund including the cost of return postage.

Important: Make sure all of your communication is through the eBay mail system so that eBay can look at it later, should the seller prove difficult.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,372 Posts
I've bought and sold thousands of items on ebay for the past 20 or so years. The seller is 100% responsible for adequately describing and taking pictures of the product AND adequately packaging it so it gets to you in the condition shown in the pictures. Obviously there might be some minor variances or subjectivity in a photo vs. actual item but it doesn't at all sound like that's what's going on here.

If either it was damaged in shipping OR the pictures were not indicative of the actual condition of the bike, it's on the seller. I'd offer the seller to take the bike back, on their dime, and move on your way. If they refuse, request a dispute and tell ebay that you're still fully willing to allow him to take the bike back at his expense but the product you received is not what was shown in the pictures. I wouldn't even mess with it further.

·
well mannered lout
3,333 Posts
I check back with my buyers to make sure they're happy with what they've got. I'm mostly dealing with vintage stuff so if a part gets damaged, we can't always source a replacement. Besides, it's not terribly time consuming to pack things well and it cost nothing.

I wouldn't keep the bike. Even if it was repaired for me, I can't imagine ever being entirely happy with the it. Bikes are supposed to be fun and this mess is decidedly not fun.

·
Registered
684 Posts
As already covered. Contact the seller immediately. People who ship bikes like that make buyers wary of those that ship them properly. If they hem or haw around, open a claim with E-Bay as soon as you get their response.

The last complete bike that I sold (not through E-Bay) was packaged immaculately. The buyer called me and was thrilled with the entire transaction. In his case, He sent me 1/2 up front and the other half once he received the bike.

It is always a good idea to take pictures of large or expensive items when you receive them as well as when you remove them from the packaging.

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
Makes me wonder if it's stolen. Anyone who knows anything or cares anything about bikes would never pack any bike like that, much less a carbon. It defies logic. MHO..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far no replies.
I will give it another day or so before I go thru EBay. I did take looks of pictures of the box before opening as well as opened, and unpacking.
The guys acct said he was in CO and he said he got the bike directly from Yeti but it was shipped from a shipping store in CA.
If I don’t get anywhere with the seller I will contact Yeti as well. I don’t know if they have some sort of stolen bike records.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Open a case through eBay immediately. They will then be able to monitor the communication. I would send the bike back and make the seller eat it; compromised carbon isn't worth anything. At best, you have a build kit for another frame. That's worth way less than half what a complete bike, which is what you bought, is worth.

·
Stand-up philosopher
681 Posts
i've sold several phones and guitar parts via ebay. the buyer is "always right" and gets all of the protection. I sold a phone once that had a few rub marks from the case and that was visible in all of the pics, yet the buyer complained and opened a case. the ebay rep that worked with me said "I see what you're saying, but they aren't satisfied, so according to our policy you can either refund them and pay to have the phone shipped back to you, or you can keep fighting it, lose, and then they keep the phone and your money".

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
So far no replies.
I will give it another day or so before I go thru EBay. I did take looks of pictures of the box before opening as well as opened, and unpacking.
The guys acct said he was in CO and he said he got the bike directly from Yeti but it was shipped from a shipping store in CA.
If I don't get anywhere with the seller I will contact Yeti as well. I don't know if they have some sort of stolen bike records.
There have been a few stolen Yeti's recently out of norcal, maybe check that section to see if your bike matches any of those.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.