Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I was wondering if you could help me on this one.
I'm a heavy guy - somthing like 240(ok I'm fat ! :D ) and about a year ago I had the chance to buy a used Intense Tracer for a good price (This is my first experience with a realy good bike).
The bike is great - although it came with a cheap setup , I can tell the difference from the cheap bikes in terms of a better control and traction.
The problem - since I'm heavy, my Fox float is pumped to a very high pressure and I think
it makes my ride a bit harsh (I'm in the 4 inch mode), what can I do to make my ride more plush ?
The way I see it my possybilities are:
1) Lose weight (working on it - but it won't get below 220 or so)
2) Buy a longer travel frame with a better shock/travel ratio.
3) Replace my rear shock - any suggestions ?
I was thinking about buying a 5 spot (sorry Intense, but you made the Tracer so good that
I can't see myself giving up the FSR suspension system)
But I was thinking maybe you guys could help me with an idea that will save me some money and help me keep my beloved Tracer.
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I weigh 190 and always found the Fox Float RL that came with the frame to be harsh. I've tried every rear shock out there and I would recommend the Romic or Float RP3. Both are much plusher than the float. The RP3 is the best b/c of its adjustability and light weight. But the Romic is a solid preformer to, and great for clydesdales!

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have a few options available for the Tracer. Mine originally came with a Mainitou QRL that rode harsh and I replaced it with a Romic. It is super plush and easy to adjust for climbing or bombing down the singletrack. The only downside is that's it's a bit heavy compared to the Float RL and Float RP3 and that red spring stands out too much. I'll be getting a Ti spring for it soon. I agree with the previous post, the romic is solid!

Another option is to have your Float RL reworked by Push Industries. Maybe someone who has had their shock reworked by Push can offer some feedback.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Coil will be plusher.

intensemtb said:
You have a few options available for the Tracer. Mine originally came with a Mainitou QRL that rode harsh and I replaced it with a Romic. It is super plush and easy to adjust for climbing or bombing down the singletrack. The only downside is that's it's a bit heavy compared to the Float RL and Float RP3 and that red spring stands out too much. I'll be getting a Ti spring for it soon. I agree with the previous post, the romic is solid!

Another option is to have your Float RL reworked by Push Industries. Maybe someone who has had their shock reworked by Push can offer some feedback.
Go for a Romic.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Push it

I second the Push suggestion - it's the cheapest option as well. I had the Float on my Titus Switchblade Pushed and it was a huge difference, both in pedalling and in large and small bump absorption.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That narrows down my options

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I know this rear shock for a Tracer subject has been discussed allot in this forum so I appreciate your help for a newcomer.
I don't know if we have a Romic dealer in Israel so I'll have to check the RP3 or Pushed option.
Anyone my size tried a Pushed Float ?
Thanks againg for your help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
AVA Sleeve

Fugazi said:
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I know this rear shock for a Tracer subject has been discussed allot in this forum so I appreciate your help for a newcomer.
I don't know if we have a Romic dealer in Israel so I'll have to check the RP3 or Pushed option.
Anyone my size tried a Pushed Float ?
Thanks againg for your help.
I used an AVA sleeve on my Tracer. It was a great upgrade. Very plush and got more travel than the original float sleeve. Not quite as good as the RP3 but MUCH cheaper. I have one if you are interested. Sorry for the Spam but thought I could help.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
that too

Brihombre said:
I used an AVA sleeve on my Tracer. It was a great upgrade. Very plush and got more travel than the original float sleeve. Not quite as good as the RP3 but MUCH cheaper. I have one if you are interested. Sorry for the Spam but thought I could help.
AVA sleeve def helps if you're not getting full travel. I added the AVA sleeve and got the Float Pushed, and then compared back to back w/ the RP3, which has a larger volume than the old style Float. They were pretty comparable w/ the AVA turned all the way in (so it was at minimum volume). The Pushed Float wasn't set up quite as firm for pedalling platform, but it was better on small bumps and large hits.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Plush Tracer

Fugazi said:
Hello guys,
I was wondering if you could help me on this one.
I'm a heavy guy - somthing like 240(ok I'm fat ! :D ) and about a year ago I had the chance to buy a used Intense Tracer for a good price (This is my first experience with a realy good bike).
The bike is great - although it came with a cheap setup , I can tell the difference from the cheap bikes in terms of a better control and traction.
The problem - since I'm heavy, my Fox float is pumped to a very high pressure and I think
it makes my ride a bit harsh (I'm in the 4 inch mode), what can I do to make my ride more plush ?
The way I see it my possybilities are:
1) Lose weight (working on it - but it won't get below 220 or so)
2) Buy a longer travel frame with a better shock/travel ratio.
3) Replace my rear shock - any suggestions ?
I was thinking about buying a 5 spot (sorry Intense, but you made the Tracer so good that
I can't see myself giving up the FSR suspension system)
But I was thinking maybe you guys could help me with an idea that will save me some money and help me keep my beloved Tracer.
Thanks in advance...
I recommend getting your Fox shock "pushed". I too have Intense Tracer and have both Fox air shock and Romic...albeit I only weigh 150lbs. Before I had my Fox "pushed", I didn't care for it so much due to following:
1. At a proper sag, it seemed little harsh and did not use all it's 4" travel unless I used more sag than desirable but that caused bottoming and changed my bike's geometry.
2. Rebound control seemed vey unstable even though the range adjustment was very effective.

As for Romic coil shock, it is a very plush good big hit shock with a good rebound control but it weighs 1lb over Fox shock. Plus it had a harshness feel over small bumps during slow speed riding; medium, big hit, and high speed feels very plush and contolled, however. Also you can only mount it 4" freeride mode in Tracer swingarm. You'll break the shock or frame if you mount it on 4" XC or 3" XC.

After reading the "push" thread and taking recommendation from other riders on this site, I decided to "push" my Fox shock. And what a difference! This is what I noticed right away when I hit the local trails that I ride a lot:
1. Super plush and any size bumps and speed.
2. Rebound seemed so controlled. It no longer felt like a pogo stick when I land 3+ foot flat landing and back-end feels a lot more stable during high speed rock garden scenario.
3. Also there's a platform feeling when pedaling albeit it not adjustable. It does bob when you stand up and hammmer...

For about $150 to get it "pushed", you not only get a different shock but better handling bike in the process. Plus before you send it in for conversion, you can specify exactly what type of shock traits you are after. They'll tune the shock with their internals based on your weight and riding preference. Good luck and hope you'll enjoy "pushed" Tracer.

P.S. At one point, I too wanted the 5 spot for plushness but after getting my Tracer "pushed", I felt in love with Tracer even more. Now I bought a used Tracer frame as a backup in case my current frame break down the road. As durable as Tracers are, no mt bike frame will last forever if it sees dirt all the time...as it should.

Marty

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have by chance a good friend named Darren ?...

SingleTrackHound said:
I recommend getting your Fox shock "pushed". I too have Intense Tracer and have both Fox air shock and Romic...albeit I only weigh 150lbs. Before I had my Fox "pushed", I didn't care for it so much due to following:
1. At a proper sag, it seemed little harsh and did not use all it's 4" travel unless I used more sag than desirable but that caused bottoming and changed my bike's geometry.
2. Rebound control seemed vey unstable even though the range was very good.

As for Romic, it is a very plush and good big hit bike with good rebound control, but it weigh 1lb over Fox shock and also had a harshness feel over small bumps during slow speed riding; medium, big hit, and high speed feels very plush and contoled, however. Also you can only mount it 4" freeride mode in swingare. You'll break the shock or frame if you mount it on 4" XC or 3" XC.

After reading the "push" thread and taking recommendation from other riders on this site, I decided to "push" my Fox shock. And what a difference! This is what I noticed right away when I hit the local trails that I ride a lot:
1. Super plush and any size bumps and speed.
2. Rebound seemed so controlled. It no longer felt like a pogo stick when I land 3+ foot flat landing and back-end feels a lot more stable during high speed rock garden scenario.
3. Also there's a platform feeling when pedaling albeit it not adjustable. It does bob when you stand up and hammmer...

For about $150 to get it "pushed", you not only get a different shock but better handling bike in the process. Plus before you send it in for conversion, you can specify exactly what type of shock traits you are after. They'll tune the shock with their internals based on your weight and riding preference. Good luck and hope you'll enjoy "pushed" Tracer.

P.S. At one point, I too wanted the 5 spot for plushness but after getting my Tracer "pushed", I felt in love with Tracer even more. Now I bought a used Tracer frame as a backup incase my current frame break down the road. As durable as Tracers are, no mt bike frame will last forever if it sees dirt all the time...as it should.

Marty
Only jocking but I read so many good things about Pushed products that it almost seems like a conspirecy ...
I mean - if this guy is so good , why Fox don't hire the guy as a consaltent !? :)
Seriously - I know how it feels when you pay for something and finely get it right.
My Tracer is already heavy (even when I'm not on it) so I'm not looking for an upgrade that
will make it heavier. I'm also experimenting here so I'm not going to spend allot which make "pushing" my existing shock the most reasonable thing to do.
I also find it very reasuring that you had the same dilema and found out that this is the best thing to do.
So thanks for the elaborated input - makes my decision much easier.
Seems like Push are moving to a new facility so I'll let them sattle down and then give them a call.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
not fox, but...

Fugazi said:
Only jocking but I read so many good things about Pushed products that it almost seems like a conspirecy ...
I mean - if this guy is so good , why Fox don't hire the guy as a consaltent !? :)
Seriously - I know how it feels when you pay for something and finely get it right.
My Tracer is already heavy (even when I'm not on it) so I'm not looking for an upgrade that
will make it heavier. I'm also experimenting here so I'm not going to spend allot which make "pushing" my existing shock the most reasonable thing to do.
I also find it very reasuring that you had the same dilema and found out that this is the best thing to do.
Seems like Push are moving to a new facility so I'll let them sattle down and then give them a call.
Darren used to work for Romic, then decided to go out on his own. He has a good product and great customer service, that's why you hear so many good things.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I feel the same but...

Fugazi said:
I feel the same but I think the reason why Fox don't hire these guys or consult them is:
1. They make the existing older Fox shocks that are dying of age better than ever. So you become Fox & Push product fan. So you buy more Fox shock in the future.
2. Since they only tune Fox shock and fork, it makes people buy more Fox product if they like how their bikes performs on the trail.

Above is my subjective opinion but I think they do have some sort of co-partnership to help eachother's product work better; hense, more sales.

By the way, when I received my "Pushed" Fox shock, it did not weigh any more. Plus or minus few grams, maybe.

STH

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A reply for Brihombre - No spam

Brihombre said:
Hello Brihombre,
I apologize to the other members of the forum since this might be unappropriate, but I've sent you a private message and havn't got a reply from you yet.
You offer might interest me so please send a private message or an email.
Sorry again for the spam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.