Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an old 92 Avalanche is cool. Very light and fun to ride. My Avalanche is all aluminum with a solid cromo fork. I recently purchased a 2002 Marzocchi Z1 Wedge fork from ebay. It has a 100 to 130 mm travel. The question. Will I mess up the frames geo and make the bike hard to ride or will there be any improvements to expect? I am new to mountain bikes but have been riding road for long time. Any ffedbacks or suggestions will be very helpful.:thumbsup:

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
that's a good 50mm taller than the standard forks from back when your frame was made, and way more than it was built to handle. then put it on a 16 year old aluminum frame? i'd not go there.

at the very most, a100mm up front, and i'd be leary of that.

it's going to slacken your headtube angle, by probably quite a huge amount over your rigid fork, and raise your BB height. for a frame that old, not intended for that - it'll probably ride sucky.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
it will make the head angle slacker and raise the frames bb, the steering may also become slower. also the bike wasnt designed around a 100-130 travel fork, and this extra stress on the frame could cause damage.

hate to burst ur bubble bud.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
sod, ur reply wasnt there when i posted scrub, looks like ive just gone and plaguerised your response lol.

·
Registered
410 Posts
you want to go by the crown to axle distance, not just the travel of the fork
but it will most likely be much longer.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
yeah that is possible, people in the dj-urban forum do that quite often, and i think the z1 wedge should be fairly similar to the dirt jumper forks they are fond of lowering.

im not sure what quality of travel might be left though after lowing the fork, they are usually slammed and only good for single impacts, i.e. dirt jumping (least i think thats the case anyway)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doing this modification, do I need to replace the springs to shorer ones? And any other parts do I need replaced? The stroke would be 70 mm to 100 mm correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts