Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a chromoly hardtail that is just sitting around and I'm wondering what would happen if I cut the toptube off, the seatstays off, and the seat tube off,

leaving just the downtube, chainstay, and BB

at that point the bike frame would resemble an obtuse angle

would this bike be ride able:confused:

would it last more then a week:confused:

if the frame breaks where would it brake:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
It would probably be rideable. It would be hard to ride though because you would not have a seat to steer with your hips. It would also have a lower center of gravity which might make it easier to ride at times.

Being a mechanic and not a Metal Worker, I don't have a good idea of how long it would last. If you are lucky it might work for a week of light riding.

My guess it would break near the bb.

I don't know why you would do it but you might make a crazy awesome new bike design. ( I doubt it)

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, guess what?

In the time it took you to reply to this thread I actually did this, it was so flexy it was almost unrideable,

I'll post pics soon:thumbsup:

oh and it did break at the bb

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Almost unrideable?
There are not optional tubes on a bike frame. Of course it's going to be ridiculously flexy and break (or at least bend really bad) when you get on it. That's a little experiment that didn't need to be done.
Now let me guess, you got some glue and duct tape and want to know how long it will last after you put it back together.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
I did just this. Built an A-frame of 2x6 planks off the front of a couch. Bolted the chainstays to the A-frame apex, and skateboard trucks to the rear corners of the couch. The "steering man" would stand at the apex and steer the couch-bike with passengers aboard. The bike was just chainstays/downtube/headtube and fork. Worked well.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Why he left the TT is anyones guess. Mine held for a while with the torque of a 12' a-frame, couch, and 5 riders. It's surprisingly strong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts