Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a "Ultimate Fixed gear" (for me) and I'm down to allmost having the build sorted.
Either a Matt Chester, Kish, Vanilla frame
Phil Wood hubs(polished),spokes(black),nipples(silver)
Corima Winium carbon clincher 32h rims
King H/S(green)
Thomsom Stem and Post(black)
Moustache Bar(black anodized)
Spooky Carbon canti front brake
Campy carbon brake levers
Campy Record cranks
Straight Bladed Fork(black)
Rivercity all wood fenders(Australian Lace Wood)
Black Brooks Swift Saddle
Custom Head Badge by Jen Green(fixed)
Wide touring tires

I'm not really after changes to my list but would be really interested to hear what your "Ultimate Fixed Gear" would be, unrestricted by buget.

Go for it.

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
If you can wait, a Richard Sachs... or Dean ;) . Dave Kirk is making some nice frames, he used to be at Serotta. Della Santa, of course, and Chris Kvale. Hell, even Rivendell, or Richard Moon if you like fancy lugs. If you like flashy paint jobs, Slawta/Landshark. I think anything with S&S couplers or a Bike Friday fixed (my next project) would be cool.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
I already have it, IMO.

Sofa King Ti King Pin frameset (could easily be a Matt Chester! 8^)

WTB Dirtdrops/287V levers.
Avid Ti brakes.
Thomson seatpost. Salsa stem.
Selle Italia Trans Am.
WI ENO cranks.
Eggy's.
Surly Instigator front fork.
Surly fixie hub laced 14G with brassy nipples to Salsa Semi's.
Panaracer 2.4 FR front tire/WTB Weirwolf or Mutano rear.

I'd steer towards a Phil hub or two, but the Surly's have yet to let me down. Surly fixie cog/lockring as well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Very close to what I would want.....

Start with a Vanilla frame.... and hang what ever you want on it.

I like Moots quality for the stem and seat post.

Maybe find a Campy Anniversary groupo.

You bust me up Neville.....

JS

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
frames

neville said:
Go for it.
I was gonna say Vanilla or Landshark for a frame, in that order. Long wait times though. The good news is it'll probably be ready around the same time as your Jones ;)

Otherwise it sounds pretty close to my new, mostly black Surly Cross Check fixie.

Brooks saddle - check
Rivercity wood fenders - check
moustache bars - check (sans black ano - nice tho!)
every other expensive part you listed - nope, no check.

go git it.
HW

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
S & S

Definately will have S&S coupling.Thanks

Yeah will most likely be done at about the same time as the Jones. But worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
my ultimate fixer

my ultimate fixer would be mechanically perfect, the chainline would be perfect, and silent. It'd have a nice thick-flanged EuroAsia or similar track cog so it would never spin and wreck the hub threads.
The frame would be sound, and free -- something I find in the trash or at a garage sale for $1. That way I wouldn't have to obsess over its looks, or be afraid to ride it in the rain, or the mud and slop, or cry and lose sleep if it cracks. when it wears out I'd just find another frame and ride on. I'd never ever spend a whole bunch of money on a bunch of overpriced yuppie boutique parts that are mechanically no better than parts that fill the same niches that I could find in the dumpster or on old trash pile bikes. I sure wouldn't buy no new set of Campy Record cranks for it, through if I found a pair, I'd use them. I am not my bike. Bikes are tools to be ridden, not holes in which to dump cash in an effort to impress others..
I'd likely spray it flat black so its make was unidentifiable.
It would very likely have a well broken in Brooks saddle on it, not to impress others, but because my butt would like that. If I used a Brooks saddle I already have, and find the frame, and build the wheels out of parts I have, it would probably cost me about $30 - figure $25 for the EA cog, some bar tape if it's a scorcher or drop-bar road fixer; or grips if it's an MTB, and part of a can of rattlecan flat black paint.
oh wait, I already got my ultimate fixer, times 5, all sitting in my garage. '74 Viscount road w/ sewups; a light scorcher with Del Mundo fat sewups; a newly built up Fuji towner/scorcher with 700x40c fatties; a winter/cross old Schwinn road with 35mm knobbies and fenders; and an MTB that I'm hoping to ride up the CO Trail a ways in the morning, if it doesn't rain overnight.
Since I acquired some of the track cogs by means other than exchanging cash for them, and have a lot of old parts, total outlay for all 5, including everything -- tires, wheels, all parts, is probably $150, and that might be a little high.
None of them have Campy cranks or carbon anything. I think the MTB has Campy track chainring bolts, and a couple of them are using Campy steel quick releases.
Rode the Fuji scorcher 28 miles today because the trails were muddy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
bulC said:
I'd never ever spend a whole bunch of money on a bunch of overpriced yuppie boutique parts that are mechanically no better than parts that fill the same niches that I could find in the dumpster or on old trash pile bikes. I am not my bike. Bikes are tools to be ridden, not holes in which to dump cash in an effort to impress others..
I'd likely spray it flat black so its make was unidentifiable.
It would very likely have a well broken in Brooks saddle on it, not to impress others, but because my butt would like that.
you are so cool.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Bad picture; my ultimate fixie

neville said:
I'm not really after changes to my list but would be really interested to hear what your "Ultimate Fixed Gear" would be, unrestricted by buget.

Go for it.
Custom steel frameset (possibly Ron Cooper)
Cinelli stem and Pista bars
Campy Athena front brake (right lever is a dummy)
Campy Record track hubs
Campy Chorus areo seatpost
Mavic Open Road hubs
Stronglight headset
Sella Italia Flite ti seat
Cook Bros 166 mm cranks
1/8" drive 47:18

I ride this bike to work 3-4 times a week to/from work; the photo is the finish line at Solvang (100 mi).

There is nothing I would change.

1G1G, Brad

Attachments

·
voodoo child
63 Posts
Pretty close to neville's

Matt Chester IndieRock Ti frame (w/ S&S couplers)
Vicious custom steel fork
Phil Wood hubset (fixed-fixed rear)
Mavic MA-2 rims
EAI track cog
Panaracer T-Serv 28 (road)
WTB: Mutanoraptor 44 (trail)
Paul Neo-Retro canti (front only)
Record levers (silver)
Phil Wood BB
Specialties TA Cyclocross cranks
Thomson seatpost and stem (silver)
WTB Dirt-drop bars
Flite saddle
Time ATAC pedals

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
neville said:
I want to build a "Ultimate Fixed gear" (for me) and I'm down to allmost having the build sorted.
Either a Matt Chester, Kish, Vanilla frame
Phil Wood hubs(polished),spokes(black),nipples(silver)
Corima Winium carbon clincher 32h rims
King H/S(green)
Thomsom Stem and Post(black)
Moustache Bar(black anodized)
Spooky Carbon canti front brake
Campy carbon brake levers
Campy Record cranks
Straight Bladed Fork(black)
Rivercity all wood fenders(Australian Lace Wood)
Black Brooks Swift Saddle
Custom Head Badge by Jen Green(fixed)
Wide touring tires

Go for it.
wow. you must ride a lot to have so many incredible bikes. a few fixies catch my eye. CircleAcycles in Providence makes cool bikes. I like the way this IF looks, and probably rides quite well!

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
My Seven Tsunami - ultimate fixie and more.

Steel, with S&S couplers, 135mm rear hub spacing, horizontal dropouts PLUS derailleur hanger (thought of it before Surly came out with the Karate Monkey). Rack and fender mounts, steel IF fork with lowrider rack mounts. Pea soup green. I've travelled with it, ridden it with gears on DC's, ridden it on technical singletrack (once was enough) and now commute with fixed/fenders to work. The only thing I'd change would be to add disc tabs. Road discs weren't available when I had it made.

Sorry no pics.

I agree a bike from the trash would be great, too.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
What a tempting title for a message.

As we get closer to election day I think my ultimate fixie would be sterilizing the extremists who live deaf and blind to open thought and shove their rigid and impractical ideals down the throats of others.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ultimate

my dad tells me stories of a fixie he built years back. Lugged, all steel of course, that he had at 14 pounds, and this was 20 some years ago where he wouldve been hard pressed to find carbon cranks and such. Knowing my dad it was probably all campy too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2metersTall

max-a-mill said:
this is a BIG bike.... super nice and clean looking though!

how tall are you?]

the bike is a 66cm. 65cm top tube.

btw- 2meters is 6'8". its really easy to convince yourself to buy a custom geometry frame when no one makes your size stock.

and more pics- not my "dream" fixie. but only because i should've done a nicer paint job on it...black is cool but once you start going custom, you might as well dive right in.

winter riding on the cape is ffffuuuunnn!!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts