Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planing to change my '07 stumpy comp for a bike with a bit more travel.
I'd like to hear some opinions of yours about the next bikes:
1 : Intense 5.5 EVP
2 : Specialized Enduro Sl Comp
3 : Santa Cruz Heckler
I'm crazy about rock gardens,man-made stuff,fast up and down singletrack.
I like to ride 3-4 hours,or if the trails are not so tough even more...
What would be your choice????
Thank's guys! ;)

·
Registered
785 Posts
well the intense evp is only 5.5" of travel......and can only "handle" up to a 140mm fork.....i say get a heckler, with the dhx 5.0 COIL option, and slap a 160mm fork on there, and that baby will take damn near anything you can dish out......and you'll prob get away cheaper than you would with the specialized that's for sure....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dont know much about the intense, but the enduro will most likely climb better with the rear suspension design and descend just as well. You get the thru axel and 5 year suspension warranty with the enduro. The fork is a dual crown but is lighter than a lot of single crowns. If not taking account of cost i would say enduro hands down. But get what you can afford. Test ride the bikes!

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
I know it's not on your list, but have you considered a 575? Can handle a 160mm fork or be built up very light.

My pick from your list would be the 5.5 then the Heckler. Enduros are still having reliability problems with the suspension.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I demoed the Enduro and the Heckler,but only on paved roads....:madman:
Not much of a difference,but the trails are different...
My only problem here in Toronto,you can't get a chance to test ride the more expensive bikes,they are ordering them if you make up your decision...
But as I can see I can't go really wrong with any of them...
I always rode Specialized bikes,but I'm open to change that.
I'd like to keep my ride fairly light,I'm not planning huge jumps,I'm too old for that:rolleyes:
But rock gardens and technical trails are well in the pics.
Thank's guys for your input,altough it's a huge mix of mine toughts.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
5.5 Evp

I'm an Intense 5.5 owner, so I'll give a biased opinion.

The 5.5 is a XC bike that can dabble in just about anything else. If you're looking to pedal something up a hill (as well as bomb the trail back down) it is a good choice. It climbs like a hardtail. Mine is built pretty rugged, with Atlas Cranks and 2.25 and 2.35 inch tires - and only weighs in around 30 lbs.

With a Fox Talus 32 RLC on the front my head angle is slightly slacker than stock, and I get to the bottom of trails faster than any of my buddies, hitting whatever small kickers and bumps I can find along the way. It is a fun bike.

That being said, I wouldn't huck road gaps or hit the big jumps at Whistler on it - in part because I'm a clipped-in wuss in the air. :thumbsup:

Steve

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Heckler will be solid, but it may be outperformed by others, depending on what you expect from the rear suspension. The 5.5 may perform well, but it sounds like perhaps you actually want something a bit less XC oriented. The Enduro SL... I wouldn't go for one of those with the proprietary suspension and all; you can get better performance and reliability elsewhere. If you really like Specialized, perhaps look at the Pitch. If you would consider something entirely different, look at the Banshee Rune. Up, down, whatever you want... stiff frame, tough yet still refined... looks great (in my opinion), from a brand with great customer service, and I have only heard rave reviews of it.

·
Engineer The Future Now!
121 Posts
just made the switch myself

I just got off my 07 Stumpy FSR Comp and onto an 08 Giant Reign X1. I wanted a bike that could handle bigger hits and jumps but still be manageable on trails. There's a definate weight penalty when just riding along XC style but I still manage to keep up w/ my buddies on XC bikes and don't have to worry about my line when the going gets rough or second guess a big ledge or jump, plus I can hit FR stuff they cannot. Giant bikes offer alot of bang for your buck. Check out the regular Reign if you don't want to make quite as dramatic a switch.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Something no one had mentioned, and I don't see discussed much is the geometry differences in couple of these bikes. I have seen it make a big difference on how a bike handles. I think it can influence a bike, and you can get something you want, and matches where your ride.

I've done a couple long and rough rides on a Heckler. The bike I ride now is Giant Reign. It's geometry is lot closer to a Nomad, or Enduro.

The heckler has relatively short in wheelbase. for bikes in the 6" travel range. The front wheel is closer to the BB and center of mass of everything. The other 6" bikes have a longer wheelbase, slower front end.

The latter bikes will handle slower on flatter terrain, and when you aren't going as fast. When you are in faster and steeper conditions these bikes are easier to ride and will feel more stable.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank's guys.
I made my decision,simply based on how much bike will I get for my money.
And the winner is The Enduro:D
I know it's sound impossible,but I get a really good price on it I wanted to get through axle on the front ,so I put together all of the previously mentioned bikes according to that.
I hope the fork problem bug will stay away from me,and the bike is just awesome!!!!
I'll start to "punish" the bike on tuesday,I can't wait..
Yesterday I had a few too many,and I just don't want to be 80% on my first ride.
Yesterday I did some riding on it ,but it was more like a set the bike up ride,than anything else.
Oh man sooo many things to watch for.
About the price:
The Enduro beat the Heckler by $500,and more than $800 the 5.5
So it was a no brainer;)
But thank's again guys for your help:thumbsup: !
Helped me a lot!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
well luckily the sl comp has the 1 1/8 headset, and not that 1.5/1.125 hybrid that specialized has come out with...so if all else fails, you can ditch the front fork and put something else on it....but, i too hope that fork doesn't give you any probs....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.